C28 Exterior

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

C28 Exterior

Postby dmac » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Months ago, I illustrated a mockup of the outside of c28 to help us all understand the scenario of where these bastards destroyed so many lives and families. As Josh has since released excellent, hi-quality, color CS photos of the cabin's exterior (see PHOTOS section of the site), these images are far less important than they once were. Still, I've just polished them to match what I've since learned, and they still may be helpful to newbies in understanding the layout and design of the cabin, and how damned small the space was where this atrocity was committed.

Just weeks back, these interpretations were far more enlightening to all of us.

Shame the fools who boast the case is not progressing.

Image Image Image Image
Any insights welcome.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: C28 Exterior

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Excellent renditions-it's like looking at "mirror images" of the actual cabin, they're so accurate. The level of detail you put into these is amazing.

In terms of "re-creating" what the exterior of Cabin 28 looked like, I think it would be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to top this.
Chichibcc

Postby BUTTERFLYVALLEY1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Excellent. I can even see the additons to the cabin that I knew in the 1950s. Thank you, gave me a real good picture.
BUTTERFLYVALLEY1

Postby dmac » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Looks like I lied yet again. I'm not done. After reloading these in Photoshop, and taking a fresh look at all the photos I have of the exterior, there are definite additions and possible answers to a few questions- as well as some new questions (as always).

This is a quick post just to get it out there before tonight's Big Chat, so please don't reply so I can later come in and flesh out or replace this post.

First off, the latest views of all four sides of c28:

Image Image Image

I've only included the three sides of the cabin I've had time to update. Here's what's new (I'm not going to mention superficial, minor changes which only more accurately reflect minutiae)

FRONT
There is a pipe at the front-left (southeast) corner of the original cabin with a small wire leading in. This is likely the TV line, which has been discussed prior (link to follow when I update this post). There was no TV antennae on the cabin, but I was able to locate one photo clearly showing the pole attached to the eave of the cabin.

NORTHSIDE
(Boys' and Girls' rooms) Of main interest is the addition of the power meter at the rear of the cabin. From several views of the exterior, it's obvious high-tension line approaches the cabin from the power pole across Keddie Rd from the front of the cabin. In the clearest shot, it is hanging over the front of the cabin and it disappears in the tree limbs as it approaches the rear of the cabin, near where the electric meter is found. Although no good shots of the cabin roof from this side have surfaced, my belief is the power line entered from the roof vial the metal pipe which is seen to the right of the rear (girls') window, extending down to just above the downstairs windows.

Of great note is the white stain below the boys' bedroom window. It appears quite white in the photos, and it seems to be a residue stain from something- hell knows what. Of import is the board that is similarly and equally stained but recently dislodged from the exterior. This board is directly below the window, and was possibly broken free when the boys were extracted from the window. Or not.

REAR
There is a low-tension line approaching the cabin and going through a hook at the top-left of the heater exhaust extending out of the basement. The line drops down parallel to the exhaust, but it is painted the same color as the wall and disappears. However, given all the talk from the past, it is easy to accept that this is the phone line, which would likely have entered the girls' bedroom below the window. More on that later, incl. links.

Also at the rear, connected to the top of the laundry room window, are four hooks/nails which secure four laundry lines (one white cloth or plastic, and three wire). These taught lines extended directly out and down to the rear of the cabin, where they attached to a large pine. Anybody not familiar with the rear of the cabin would likely have garroted themselves on this line.

What this latest update does, with some corroboration, is further prove that the phone line likely came from the girls bedroom. Although no phone line was used to bind Sue, Johnny, or Dana, phone cord has been mentioned repeatedly over the years, and PCSO has stated the phone in the living room was not only off the hook, but the main phone line had been cut from the wall. Was this wall in the girls' bedroom? Was phone (or any other) cord missing from the cabin, used to bind Tina?
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 am

Latest versions:

Image Image Image Image

Between the updates to these images and last night's mega-chat, there are a few more answers to longstanding questions:

FRONT The pipe at the bottom left of the roof is the entry point for a small wire coming from across the street in front of the cabin (Resort Rd). The wire attaches to the north side of the cabin and then loops back into the pipe. This is likely the TV wire. The rod attached off-center to the peak of the roof is where an antennae was once attached prior to 81. The sole TV in the cabin was hooked up in that very corner, and there were no rabbit-ears on the set.

NORTH SIDE (Bedrooms) As mentioned in my earlier post, there is a meter. However, it looks like a gas meter. I don't know how gas worked as a utility in Keddie (there were large tanks throughout the resort), but I figure it was run off tanks which the util company oversaw and billed. It appears 28 shared a tank with the Seabolts in 27, and that tank was about 15 feet away behind 27. There is a large electricity wire going into cabin 28 from the pole across Resort Rd, but no photo I've seen clearly shows where it enters the cabin. It always gets lost in the trees as it descends to the roof...

It's important to remember this side of the cabin was primarily part of the fenced-off front yard of the Seabolts. The fence-line ended by the girls' bedroom window (upper right window), so that part of the side was accessible from the back yard. The boys were extracted via their window, which was in the Seabolts' yard. Beyond that, the only thing of note is, once again, the stained board dislodged below the boys' bedroom window.

SOUTH SIDE (kitchen/living room) Not much new here, other than this side of the cabin was, for the most part, still white instead of yellow. Johnny's windows (and room) were also larger than shown before. There is also a large circular object attached near the electrical outlet on the rear of the cabin. This object is actually crudely wired to the back of the electrical outlet. Photos from the mid-00s show this object still on the wall.

REAR The sole phone line in Cabin 28 indeed enters the girls room from the harness found near the top of the heater exhaust pipe. This line into the house came from a harness on a tree behind cabin 27, which fed lines to both 27 and 28. The phone in 28 was on the seat / table in the living room, but the wire was an extension cord which led to the girls room, where it had been cut from the rear wall.

Why take the phone off the hook and cut the wire from the wall? Because Marde and Bo knew they'd left Justin and the boys alive.
There are four clotheslines connected to the top of the window frame by the utility room, which stretched down to a tree below the rear of the cabin. There was absolutely no light outside of the rear of the cabin, other than a yellow drop-light jerry-rigged to the support post at the top of the stairway. It, in turn, was plugged into an illegal power outlet crudely wired to the rear wall of the cabin.

Given the fact we know the killers were in the back yard (bloody print on the bottom stairway support post) I presume they were familiar with the cabin. They would have to be able to maneuver around a back yard that was dangerous in the dark, even when poorly lit if they knew of the sole rigged light. There were clotheslines that would garrote someone, three bikes laying in the dirt, discarded lumber and carpeting... These guys knew going in that Justin and Sue's youngest boys were there, and knew how to maneuver the back yard.

There are plenty of threads discussing the points made in this post, so please use them instead of clouding this thread. I'll update this thread with any new developments in the exterior mock-ups.

Thx.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie facts