Rini's Collusion with Corrupt Cops and Mafia Bigwigs

all timelines of events, suspects, etc

Rini's Collusion with Corrupt Cops and Mafia Bigwigs

Postby dmac » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:11 am

This is a series of articles that took up three pages of the Chicago Trib in February 1960. It's about a master burglar, who- like Jim Rini- boasted to be the best and most successful in Chicago history. Like Rini, he had full cooperation from many crooked cops, who put lists together of things they wanted him to steal for them. Like Rini, cops aided him in his illegal endeavors. Like Rini, when he was busted by straight or clueless cops, arrangements were made for the big charges to be reduced to frivolous ones. Like Rini, he blew the whistle on the cops once he was finally busted for something where he wasn't protected.

Unlike Rini, officials eventually listened to Richard Morrison. It took a full year for someone to hear, but it led to cops being thrown behind bars, cops being fired, the police chief being fired, and many, many others being exposed as involved in the crimes or coverup. It came to be known as the Summerdale Scandal.

It also leads back to Rini, as he's mentioned several times in revelations brought about by Morrison's account:

"James V. Rini... was protected by POLICE OFFICIALS by being booked only on minor charges whenever he was arrested"

"Among other currently active [mob] figures who were mentioned... were: Fiore Buccieri, gambling boss and aid to Sam Giancana; Joe DiVarco, north side gambling boss; Rini, and [Jimmy 'The Monk'] Allegretti"

These three pages link Rini to MAJOR Outfit figures and to corrupt cops. It's an all-in-one, full circle. It also shows Rini was telling the truth when he said the same thing decades before, and that he was PROTECTED BY PIGS AND THE OUTFIT at the same time.

Disbelievers can PISS OFF NOW!

600223_Trib_Rini_cops_outfit_12.gif
600223_Trib_Rini_cops_outfit_13.gif
600223_Trib_Rini_cops_outfit_11.gif

MAIN TEXT OF THE LARGE ARTICLE:

Cops Turn Burglars! City Horrified
by WAYNE THOMAS Part 1 Feb 23, 1960

Policeman Asks Thief for Favor; Scandal Ensues

(When he was arrested last July 31 after escaping a trap set by Evanston police, Richard Morrison, 23, boasted he was "the greatest burglar who ever worked in Chicago." He conceded, too, he probably was headed for forced retirement thru a long term in prison. But he made up his mind to blow the whistle on crooked policemen who had been his in crime. Honest policemen passed over his tale, not believing it. Then he told it to the state s attorney s office, and Chicago was rocked by its worst police scandal in decades: a scandal which brought about a search for a new head of the Chicago police department. The search ended yesterday when Mayor Daley appointed Orlando W. Wilson superintendent.)

A Summerdale district policeman wanted golf clubs and asked a neighborhood burglar to steal some for him. This was the start of a partnership between law and crime that exploded Chicago's worst police scandals in decades.

Horrifying evidence has been produced to show that a powerful, amoral, greedy segment of the city's basic law enforcement agency - patrol. men, detectives, precinct sergeants, and many higher officers- is made up of criminals who operate under the cloak of the law.

Instead of protecting citizens, these policemen prey on them.

And with the cover ripped off one corner of Chicago's rough, tough underworld, broader inquiries have disclosed, once again, the machinery of a long lived, well oiled, payoff system that provides big time crime syndicate protection.

The city's policemen are the collectors. Politicians provide the "fix." Gamblers, gunmen, hoodlum union leaders, dope peddlers, and vice lords are the benefactors.

As a result of the police scandals, Chicago is getting a shocking, first hand glimpse of the kinky shadow-world everyone knows about, but the existence of which practically no one admits.

It is a world which THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE has been describing for years. It is a world in which wrong is right -in which all incentive for honor, justice, suppression of crime, and even fundamental discipline has disappeared from broad divisions of the police department, the courts, the all-pervading Democratic political party machine that has a strangle hold on Chicago proper.

Burglar-Police Scandals Disclose- 'City's Underlying Corruption

The burglar-police scandals are bad enough, but they have touched off inquiries that have disclosed the deeper, underlying rot. Policemen who oppose " clout " and political interference with enforcement of the laws have made these disclosures.

Some have come forward with specific evidence on the sale in advance of answer sheets for written police examinations. Others have described in unmistakable terms how the police-political "fix" is operated. And some have come up with names and reports on police "bagmen," the collectors of graft and privilege money.

While all these disclosures were simmering and festering, even more startling evidence of organized and systematic police corruption was -uncovered when a TRIBUNE reporter obtained admissions from four convicts in Stateville penitentiary that they stole more than $1,000,000 worth of furs and jewelry from Gold Coast apartments with active cooperation of detectives from the burglary detail and others.

Their police collaborators even warned them when special police task forces would be operating in areas where the gang planned robberies. The payoffs ran upwards of $20,000 a year.

The disclosures of the Summerdale police-burglar scandals and that policemen of the North Damen Avenue station also were in collusion with burglars em- a number of merchants and business men to talk. They came forward with their own stories of systematic looting and harassment by police and other city agencies, including the courts.

The breakdown of policing in certain Chicago areas:

The Summerdale district and location of police station has been so great that insurance underwriters refused to insure merchandise on store shelves or packed away in even the best constructed storage sites.

A Chicago Joke-Motorist to Cop: 'What's This-Ticket or Stickup?'

Chicago's desperate situation is epitomized by a joke told at bars and gatherings: A Chicago motorist was halted by a police squad on a boulevard late at night. As a policeman strode from the squadrol toward the citizen, the latter cranked down a window of his car and asked, "What's it to be-a ticket or a stickup?"

A brash, boyish-looking burglar, who didn't get the golf clubs his police associate wanted, caused all the furor. His name is Richard Morrison. He is 23, but appears to be closer to 16 when he is surrounded by policemen or strides into a grand jury room. By his own story, he "grew up in Summerdale district," an area once predominately German and Scandinavian, but now more polyglot. It is filled with small homes, many of them well kept, and is bounded by take Michigan on the east, Lawrence avenue on the south, Devon avenue on the north, and the north branch of the Chicago river on the west. The river boundary is 2800 to 3200 west of State street.

Morrison attended Swift Elementary school and Senn High school. He told police he began stealing he was 15 years old. His first arrest was in May, 1953, when he was stopped by detectives while carrying a fine collection of burglary tools. For this, he drew a 10 day sentence in the county jail. A month later he was arrested with more burglary tools and got another 10 day county jail term. From these arrests, he said recently, his acquaintance with policemen began.

Morrison left Chicago in 1954 and returned in 1957. In December, 1955, he was sentenced to nine months in Los Angeles jail for burglary, serving four and drawing probation for five. A year later he was jailed for a month in Las Vegas, N. M., as a prowler. Back in Chicago in 1957, he served four months in the Bridewell for petty larceny.

$ He Has Many Friends Among Cops, Sent Yule Card to One:

There is a strange affinity between some crooks and some policemen. Morrison boasts he has many friends among "the cops." He sent a Christmas card to one of the men who jailed him last July- the seizure from which the present scandals grew. He has not been free since that arrest, and is now in protective custody with his consent. But the police haven't got him; the state s attorney has.

This youngster called himself "Chicago's master burglar" when he was arrested last summer. He confessed 150 burglaries, saying his loot was worth over $100,000. That he profited is undeniable- he was driving a new Cadillac roadster when he was seized. And he has asserted that he "was ahead" an average of $500 to $2,500 each week. But let him tell his own story. It appeared exclusively in THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE last Jan. 20:

"I guess the place to start this story is when I was for Wesley's pizza at 1116 Bryn Mawr ave., because to the best of my that is where everything started with me and the police officers of the 40th [Sum- ] district.

Delivery guys bringing supplies to the pizza joint had been having parking troubles, trying to get their trucks close to our place during the evening rush. Squads were giving them tickets, but after a while they were giving out so many our boss calling in the policemen to eat free so they would let the truckers alone.

"Of course, be didn't let them all do it. Just the ones the sergeant detailed to that area. And, of course, the sergeant got his cut also. I know because I sometimes took his food to him at the station."

Tells State's Attorney He Tried to Go Straight After Jail Term

Morrison explained to state's attorney's investigators that he had just gotten out of the Bridewell and was "trying to go straight." He said he was holding two jobs, planning to be married, and trying to pay off his bills. Then he went on:

"Well anyway, getting back to the 40th district cops, I knew most of them because I lived in the district all my life and there were a few I went to school with, and at the time of June, 1958, I was on the bad side of them.

"Everything was going along fine until one day when I was walking down Berwyn avenue from Broadway and the policeman, Frank Faraci, came out of the corner saloon and says to me, ' Well, if it isn't the little burglar, Richie.'

"I knew Frank from the pizza place and I seen he a little loaded so I just said, ' Hi, Frank, how are things with you? ' and he said, 'Well, they would be a little better if you would cut us guys in on some of your jobs.'

"He said: 'You know Al Karras and some of the other fellows [policemen] and we'd go along with the show. After all, we like nice things, too.'

"I stalled for a month because I knew the cops from before. But they kept pestering me. Al Karras told me Brinn [Allan Brinn, a Summerdale policeman] wanted to know when I was going to steal some golf clubs for him. I was getting sick and tired of them asking. By 11:30 the night of July 31 [1958], I was pretty loaded myself and I was figuring that so long as the clubs were for a cop . . . so I drove up in Rogers Park. I was thinking that about 20 per cent of the new cars had golf clubs in them, so I was looking for new ones."

Morrison didn't find what he wanted and drifted into Evanston. He saw a station wagon with golf clubs in the rear and stopped to break into it. Unknowingly, he stepped into a trap. Evanston police, watching the car because of earlier pilferings, hailed him. Morrison jumped back into his Cadillac and gunned it toward Chicago. The policemen fired a number of shots. One of them a tire, so Morrison abandoned the car.

It was found and traced to his home, then at 5556 Lakewood av., because it was registered in his real name. Early next morning, Summerdale policemen arrested him. In February, 1959, he was convicted in Criminal court of auto loot- ing. Morrison's lawyer made a motion for a new trial, which is still pending.

"It was after this [his capture in 1958] I figured I might as well go in with the Summerdale cops since I was in trouble anyway," Morrison said. "I figured to collect a bundle to beat my Evanston rap.

"So, from day to day I met the cops in a restaurant at 1 a.m. and we set up jobs every night. From time to time I kept meeting more cops that were burglars, and from time to time I kept getting more cases in 'the Criminal court building and needed an awful lot of money for lawyers, bondsmen, and cops, as the ones I went on jobs with some- times let their friends at D-3 [north side detective bureau headquarters] know I did it, but they wouldn't let them know about themselves.

"So I had to pay guys in D-3 to forget about the cases and it cost quite a bit, too.

"You see, the cop that let D-3 in on the business got a nice cut of my payoff to D-3, too. I didn't find that out until after I was arrested [again] July 30, 1959, and it was hard to believe that the same guys I went on burglaries with would also let their D-3 pals in on it so they could get a few more hundred out of the job."

Morrison's bitterness is understandable when it is known that he first told his Story of the police partner- ships in his burglaries to a central detective bureau inter- in August, 1959. This man, Sgt. Robert Lynsky, relayed the report orally to Chief of Detectives John Ascher, both admitted. They said they completely discounted the story "because they just couldn't believe what Morrison said." No explanation was given for the failure to make an investigation. Lt. Ascher was demoted after the scandal broke.

In spite of Morrison's willingness to talk, no one in authority would listen until he was sent to the county jail in November, 1959, at which time he asked and got a hearing from the state's attorney s office. He told his story over again in a series of interrogations by lawyers and inve and, as Frank Ferlic, first assistant state s attorney, has said repeatedly, "We were able to check out and support practically everything he told us." As a result, detectives under Lt. Ascher and state s attorney s police made simultaneous raids Jan. 14, 1960, on the homes of eight Summerdale policemen Morrison had named. Six truckloads of stolen merchandise were found in seven homes, all eight cops were arrested, and the scandal was out.

Morrison Tells Methods Cops \Used to Help Him Carry Out Burglaries

How were these alleged burglaries accomplished? Let's get back to Morrison's own story.

"At first," he said, "my cop pals acted as lookouts.

"I'd gotten money from the place, when Frank spotlighted the window. Frank Faraci blocked off the detective bureau car that arrived half a minute later."

They sometimes drove round and round -a block where I was pulling a burglary to see there was no interference. Sometimes they intercepted the private watch service guys who would be patroling. Sometimes they kept other police- men away from me.

"We decided-a music store at Balmoral and Clark streets was a good 'case.' The night I broke in, Frank Faraci [one of the eight Summerdale policemen] was at the station and he heard the squad operator give out a radio call to cars on the street that a burglary was in progress in that store. He happened to hear this call and he happened to know it was me in the place.

"He shot down there in 207 [Morrison named the squad cars by number in much of his confession] and blocked the street and hit the window of the place [police procedure of shining spotlights from their cars into windows of stores where a burglary is suspected].

"I'd gotten the money from the place when Frank spotlighted the window. Frank Faraci blocked off the detective bureau car that arrived half a minute later. My other pals [also police lookouts on the job with Morrison at the time] came round the alley. I went out a back door, over the fence, and ran toward the street. May car was parked near and I took off."

Morrison said that later, in appreciation of Faraci's help, he gave the policeman all the money he had stolen from the music store-several hundred dollars. Tine and , in his statements, Morrison said he and his Summer- dale police associates met in taverns and restaurants to talk about their burglaries, work out tactics, and laugh over their "take."

Morrison Tells How Private Guard Almost Got Shot During Burglary

Once, Morrison , the cop-criminals almost shot a private watchman of the North Shore patrol.

"This particular night they [the policemen] wanted to hit a food store," Morrison related. They all had crowbars with them, and they'd picked out a place on Damen avenue and Bryn Mawr. I looked the joint over and said it was no good. They wanted food, tho, so I picked out a place at 1112 Thorndale av.

" There were five of these police officers and me, and we drove over to the place in squad car 207. I opened the door and they were all running around in the store getting this stuff. I happened to think, who is listening to the radio in the squadrol? I said I would.

" So I went to the car and I was sitting there. They were coming out with bacon and hams and everything you could think of in the store-real expensive foods. They kept filling the back seat of the squad car. Suddenly another car pulls behind us. It was a sergeant of the North Shore patrol.

"I figured if he sees me and all this stuff in the squad [car] everybody is dead. So I had to think fast. Anyways, I took off in the squad car and when I came back they [the five policemen] were still there. They said: 'Where you been? ' They said: ' Jeez, we almost had a heart attack

"We all laid low in the store. But this guy was checking the door next door."

ourselves. We had our guns on him. We all laid low in the store. But this guy was checking the door of a place next door. He musta missed us completely. We might have had to drop him if he d seen us. ' "

Morrison said that later, talking over the night s incidents, his police accomplices offered to lend him a uniform to 'ear on "jobs." He said he " wouldn't go for it." he told them: " Too much trouble changing back and forth. Better to just stay out of sight."

After more than a year of police cooperation, Morrison reported, someone in his " clique " fired some shots at him one night when he burglarized a store on Lawrence avenue.

Begins to Watch Step for Fear

He Would Be Killed by Cop-Pals

"It had to be somebody in that clique," Morrison continued. "I guess they were thinking I knew too much about them. Maybe it was just one guy s idea, so I began really watching my step with those fellows. They wanted me to open a meat market for them, so I was especially careful in picking the copper who was to keep watch. He was riding a three wheeler [motorcycle].

"He sat on his wheel while I got in and worked on the safe. I couldn't open it without blowing and didn't want to make the noise. But I picked up $1,300 in cash, from the register and drawers. Then I walked out and told my cop friend: 'The door s open. You can round up the guys and bring them in.'

"I went down the alley and hid on a garage roof. This guy called in almost every available vehicle in the district. They had all the three wheelers, and a paddy wagon, and the squad car. They had their lights on and they were loading up those squads and everything. Anyways, they cleaned out the whole meat market.

"I was eating some of the steaks taken out of there at their houses quite a few times in following mornings and, in fact, they were eating steaks every night. They had a ball with those steaks."

Once, Morrison related; when he was arrested in connection with one of his " 150 or more burglaries" and locked up in a Summerdale cell, his "clique" moved several carloads of stolen radios, televisions, and other goods from his apartment "to prevent honest detectives from finding out what was going on."

The arrest came when two detectives found in Morrison s car some spark plugs that had been stolen a few nights earlier in a burglary which, Morrison said, had been committed in collusion with his police pals.

"When they [the detectives] took me over to the station," Morrison said, "I had most of the stuff from this place in my apartment and was keeping it for the cops. Now if they would have found out where I was living, if they had' looked in my wallet and learned the address where I was living, they would have got the stuff.

"It was lucky the police officers I knew came. I got taken back into the back of the lockup and they come there and I gave them my keys. If they got rid of the stuff they would have a hard case to. beat. They used the squad car- 207 again-and drove over to my apartment and cleaned it out. I guess there was at least $5,000 worth of radios and televisions. They divided the stuff and hid it away."

'Squad Car Pushed Parked Auto When It Blocked Loading Area'

Illustrating how closely he allegedly worked with his police "clique" Morrison told of the looting of a tire and auto supply store at Carmen avenue and Broadway.

"We had a two hour delay," Morrison said, "because somebody had double parked a car alongside the loading dock at the rear. We didn't know if this person was going to come down and take it or not. We waited a couple of hours and this car was still there. I saw the squad with one of our fellows driving and I stopped him.

"I says: 'Listen, we got to-get rid of this car somehow. It's been here for hours and it s delaying the job.' He said: 'I know, we ve been waiting to go.' Anyways, they pushed the car. They pushed it on Broadway and says, 'To hell with the guy.' They pushed it with car 207. They gave me the signal then everything was okay. I said fine."

This place yielded tires, television sets, radios, electric shavers, shotgun shells, a variety of guns, and other expen- sive items, Morrison said. While the burglary was in progress, Morrison asserted, police associates in a squad car " circled the place every few minutes to see if everything going all right, and they sent two or three of the paid patrol service men away from this block during that time."

All policemen accused by Morrison have denied the charges.

The eight policemen charged with burglary are: Patrick Groark Jr.. 28, of 1526 Norwood av., son of a late captain of police; Frank Faraci, 43, of 5121 Estes av., Skokie; Sol Karras, 26, of 1521 Ardmore av.; Karras' twin brother, Alex, 26, of 2631 Greenleaf av.; Peter Beeftink, 50, of 2049 Hutchinson av.; Allan Brinn, 30, of 5025 Sheffield ct., Skokie; Henry Mlulea, 45, of 1521 Montana av.; and Alan Clements, 29, of 6565 Glenwood av.

Five other policemen were arrested on extortion or conspiracy charges in connection with Morrison's stories.

Five of policemen held in investigation of burglaries. Left to right: Sol and Alex Karras, Frank Faraci, Alan Clements and Allan Brinn.

They are: Detectives George Raymond, 32, of 517 N. Albany av.; Robert Ambrose, 35, of 3243 Geneva ter.; and Jackson Whelan, 33, of-5669 N. Oconto av.; and Policemen John W. Peterson, 35, of 3111 N. Spaulding av., and Glenn Cherry, 33. of 4937 N. Tripp av. Peterson was identified by Paul Newey, chief investigator for State's Attorney Benjamin Adamowski, as " the fixer " at Summerdale station. Cherry was Peterson's partner.

The three detectives, Raymond, Ambrose and Whelan, were charged with accepting a $3,500 payoff from Morrison to suppress certain evidence in a burglary case against him#.

At police headquarters; in Florida, where Mayor Daley was vacationing; in City Hall aldermanic offices, and in thousands of precinct political headquarters, saloons, and other gathering places the police scandal had a smashing effect. Chicago area citizens were indignant, apprehensive disgusted, and more suspicious of the entire political and law enforcement machinery of Cook county and the City of Chicago than ever before.

Lie Tests Ordered for 130 Summerdale District Police

" Everywhere we go now people look at us as if we were lepers," one Loop patrolman reported that third week of January.

" The whole department is blackened." said Police Com- missioner Timothy .1. O'Connor. "The work of 10,000 good policemen is undone. It makes you heartsick."

Lie tests for 130 Summerdale policemen .ordered. Outside experts were assembled to conduct them.

On Saturday, Jan. 23. O'Connor resigned under fire. Kyran V. Phelan. who had been O'Connor's chief assistant, was appointed acting commissioner by Mayor Daley.

State's Attorney Benjamin S. Adamowski said: "This thing is a shocking indictment of the moral tone of law enforcement in Chicago. There are too many unsolved crimes. It is my opinion that the mayor better start looking thru the whole department."

Capt. Herman Dorf, who had been commanding Sum- police station for a year, resigned rather than face a lie detector test. He said he had nothing to hide; that his 28 year career "spoke for itself." He added, however, that he felt it "too degrading and demoralizing to take the lie box." His resignation came less than two years before he would have been eligible for full retirement.

A number of honest policemen, sickened by their own situations, began appearing at the offices of the state's attorney or telephoning to Phelan's office with "reports of rottenness in the department."

Perhaps the most important disclosures, however, were those of the ex-policeman who wrote THE TRIBUNE on Jan. 28 and gave a citywide blueprint of big time crime syndicate payoffs for protection. Over his own signature, he gave names, dates, and places. THE TRIBUNE, feeling that proper law enforcement agencies must investigate such charges, gave copies of the document to the state s attorney, the mayor, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation head- quarters.

But here, with identifying material deleted, is what he charged:

1. One of Chicago's highest police officials permitted operation of the city s largest continuous dice game in his district, took his orders from a Democratic ward committee- man, and collected from gambling and vice.

2. Thirty-nine gambling rooms operated on a wide open basis in another police district under the same offi- cial and the take was collected by two bagmen, one for the police official and one for the ward committeeman.

3. Another high police official is part owner of a hotel where vice flourishes and a patrolman is maintained on duty at all times to see that no arrests are made and that no customer fails to pay for services rendered.

4. A police official who "investigated" several men involved in vice shakedown charges had used these same men as his collectors from vice joints thruout the, city. The investigation, of course, was a whitewash.

5. A high police officer in a supervisory job was drunk at roll calls he conducted himself.

6. The same official hides his squad car while spending his time consorting with known hoodlums and pros- .

Charges Police Captain's Nephew Acts as Bagman for Officials

7. A police captain s nephew acts not only as his bag- man but as the collector for several other captains. Both the captain and the nephew are constantly in the company of top syndicate hoodlums.

8. A prominent politician and office holder made a trip to Arizona to get. a large sum of money put up by the crime syndicate to help make a well known lieutenant a captain.

9. A police captain takes frequent plane rides with Jimmy LThe Monk] Allegretti, north side police payoff man for one gambling section of the crime syndicate. -

10. James V. Rini, a syndicate hoodlum now in prison for coin machine terrorism and burglary; was protected by police officials by being booked only on minor charges whenever he was arrested at a north side syndicate operated tavern.

11. A lieutenant, recently a captain, watched the police message tapes for news of hoodlum arrests, then notified crime syndicate lawyers for a nice big fee.

12. A police officer collects from politicians who want their candidates to get police jobs or, if policemen, to be given certain assignments. He also gets a kickback from business men who sell equipment to the police department.

13. A police captain was "made by the syndicate for its personal use as a source of information for the crime syndicate." The same captain has minor hoodlums and some burglars as his employees in a private business he operates.

Among other currently active crime syndicate figures who were mentioned in the ex-policeman s letter were: Fiore [Fifil Buccieri, a gambling boss and aid to Sam [Mooney] Giancana, one of the top syndicate leaders; Joe [Caesar] DiVarco, north side gambling boss; Frank LHot Dog] Lisciandrella; Julius [Jujul Greco, vice and strip tease joint operator; Rini, and Allegretti.

THE TRIBUNE interviewed a number of police commanders, lieutenants, and veteran detectives subsequently and was told:

"Powereful Democratic politicians wield the clout within the department like a club. They have, in five years, almost wrecked the department. Examples follow:

" A patrolman who was Mayor Daley's campaign chauffeur became the unofficial and most powerful commissioner of police after Daley's election in 1955. This man, from an office in City hall, arranged transfers and appointments to virtually all levels of police jobs until he died in 1958.

"A chief of detectives made the disgusted observation that sponsorship of a Democratic politician was essential before a policeman could be transferred to the detective bureau.

"Appointment of patrolmen to the rank of detective [plain ] in precincts became a part of the Democratic city administration s political patronage. Sponsorship of a committeeman, an alderman or a party organization chief of some kind was mandatory before a patrolman could make the $600 a year jump in salary that goes with a detective rating.

"'I can't make a detective or dump him," one captain told THE TRIBUNE, "and this means I have no control over my own men. They know it. A man doesn't have to give a
damn about me. He listens to the politician who helped him get his rank."

Politicians, the policemen predicted, are not going to step out of the Chicago police picture because of the burglary scandal. The stakes in power and money are too high and the "fix system" is too well established by the crime syndicate that is willing to come up with a steady and substantial stream of dollars to get the protection it requires.

Chicago's crime syndicate operations are traditionally based on "cash clout "-thatis the straight money payoff for freedom from interference, Sometimes this even includes the "pushing around" by policemen of citizens who want to cause trouble for syndicate gambling places, handbooks or slot machines, a veteran policeman told THE TRIBUNE.

" But in recent years," this police veteran added, "the syndicate has elected some of its own politicians-a regular syndicate bloc well known in the City hall and in the state legislature. They carry the syndicate ball at all times, but are not at all slow about getting into the collecting on their own. No matter what is said about crime organization- aside from the top level of it-practically everybody who is kinky is on the make for himself, and is not to be trusted with money or opportunity four shakedowns. This is what causes some of the hoodlum murders-fights right inside the syndicate for power or money."

The other side of the precinct "bag" operation is that of the crime syndicate. The same sources of information that named policemen as part of the politico- payoff machine named the following "mob" chiefs as the money payers in their respective zones of influence:

Ralph Pierce: An old-timer whose connections with the mob extend back into the Capone era. He is the man to see on gambling arrangements and payoffs in the Hyde Park, Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, and other south side police districts. Pierce has been pushed out of the 2d and 3d ward areas by Negro politicians and policy operators who have concluded more recent mob connections.

Ross Prio: A man whose appearance is deceptively like that of a middle-aged business man, but who has a reputa- tion for indulging in his own muscle work. Prio's territory is that of the north side-an amorphous area extending from the Chicago river to Hovard street and from the. lake to the western city limits. Prio is high in syndicate councils, altho not top rank.

Frank [Strongy] Ferraia: A rising younger hoodlum who has taken over the Loop gambling supervision for the mob during the illness of Gus [Slim] Alex.

Louie Briatta: Brother-in-law of Ald. John D'Arco rIst] and manager of handbook layoff joints in the central district. These are big clearing houses for sizable bets and are used by bookies from all of town. Briatta's influence is confined to D'Arco's ward and is a secondary but highly profitable element in the illegal betting parlor net- work for Chicago.

Jimmy [The Owl] Catuara: Rackets manager for the syndicate in the Deering police district. Catuara has a reputation in the' underworld as an accomplished bomb producer and tosser.

Chuck English: Former juke box chain operator who has made a deal with the syndicate for general gambling control in Brighton Park police district and in part of the Fillmore police district. In the latter, English pushed a powerful Democratic politician out of this job.

Jack Patrick: A syndicate muscle man for years, Pat- rick has the portion of Fillmore street gambling that is out- side English's areas. In recent years, policy and some phases of take that started on the south side have become valuable to the syndicate in this area,

Sambo Cesario: The syndicate s fixer contact in Max- well street police district. He is one of the youngest such liaison men and is jealously described by some of the fringe syndicate operators as an overrated punk.

Fiore IFifi] Buccieri, syndicate gambling chief in the Marquette police district. He formerly ran the Greek dice games [] in Maxwell street and farther north. Later he was identified with union rackets.

Jack Humphreys: Brother of Murray [The Camel] Humphreys who, in his late sixties, still is a major fixer and adviser, to the top syndicate. Jack Humphreys is the gambling supervisor for the mob in New City and Lawndale police districts. He uses the name Jack Wright and has been busy in mob affairs- altho never a top man-since the 1930s.

Chuck Nicoletti: Warren avenue police district gambling supervisor for the syndicate. Reputedly a killer himself, he has been active in recent years setting up handbooks and wire rooms.

Julius [Juju] Greco: Vice manager for the syndicate in Warren avenue. Greco has been a close associate and the mob payoff man for at least half a dozen different police captains. He is a specialist in handling stables of call girls, madams, and so-called stag shows on the west side.

Jack Cerone: Syndicate's top rackets man in Austin police district. Cerone once was driver and bodyguard for Tony Accardo, who is really a top drawer syndicate boss. Cerone got his job " strictly thru muscle," according to mob gossip. His spot formerly had been.handled by gamblers and politicians who were shoved out when Cerone shot several and had some of his younger thugs slug others.

Sam Mesi: Racine avenue police district gambling supervisor. He comes from a family closely tied to mob operations for three generations. He is regarded as one of the newer, smoother hoods who still has a knack for violence if required. He was on a city payroll as a garbage truck supervisor- another indication of gang clout- but lost this job when exposed by THE TRIBUNE.

Marshall Caifano: Gambling manager in the Summerdale, Town Hall, and Sheffield avenue police districts. Reputedly a syndicate gunner whose trigger capacities often have been used outside his own areas. He is a playboy type who makes his headquarters in north side night clubs.

Joe [Caesar] DiVarco: Rush street syndicate boss for gambling, saloon supplies, vice, and some of the other illegal rackets offered in this rich night life area. DiVarco's gambling sphere extends into the Summerdale police district and partly into Town Hall. He is senior in syndicate rank to most of the other precinct bosses.

Monk Allegretti: DiVarco's aid, who handles direct police contacts, payoffs, and beefs. Allegretti makes his headquarters in a quiet neighborhood saloon on Claremont avenue, south of Devon avenue, and DiVarco is frequently seen there. So are a north and west side police district bagman.

Lennie Patrick: Rogers Park syndicate gambling boss. A graduate of the old 24th ward Capone stronghold, where he was part of the mob muscle. Patrick reputedly was a murder expert, arranging for liquidation of various gam- who resisted syndicate partnerships and other in- .

Willie [Smokes] Aloiso: Gambling boss in Shakespeare police district and lately in northwest Cook county. Aloisio, who has a violent history as a muscle man and reputed killer, ran a quiet, lucrative gambling area in the Shakespeare district for years. His word was law with operators of slot machines, dice games, floating poker games, and the back room gambling houses and books in that area.

Frank ISkid] Caruso: The syndicate s man for dice, poker, and, above all, mob policy operations in the 1st ward end of the Prairie avenue police district. Caruso inherited the job from his father-in-law, Bruno Roti, who died in 1956. The mob invasion of this partly 2d and partly 3d ward area was marked by a number of murders for policy control.

Learn Twice A Month Payoffs Started by Syndicate in 1958

Best information available to THlE TRIBUNE is that, since late in 1958, all syndicate in Chicago proper are on a fortnightly basis. Prior to that time, they had been made once a month. A number of greedy police captains and especially, according to the syndicate's side of the story, a pushing group of police lieutenants, commenced "fudging." They would arrange to raid various "protected" spots a day or two after standard payoffs had been made. The bi-weekly protection is supposed to cut any losses from such maverick raiding to a minimum.

"About this business," THE TRIBUNE was told by a police captain who does not command a district and for the moment is merely marking time in a clerical job where he " writes reports," " have no doubts that the regular syndicate payoffs are going right along while the scandals are on Page one.

"The syndicate is too big and too entrenched to be worried about a few stupid policemen who teamed up a punk burglar. The syndicate payoffs are big time, involve the whole city enforcement system, extend into the courts and state legislature, and perhaps higher.

"Everybody who is anybody wants to 'forget the hysteria' over the burglar scandals- but don't, for heaven's sake, upset any apple carts involving the real payoff."

A good deal of other information relating to police venality also has come to light. There was the case of the 150 question civil service sergeant's examination of last Oct. 31. A policeman delivered to THE TRIBUNE a copy which he said was circulated among policemen before the examination and offered to candidates for $100 to $500 a copy. James S. Osborne, commission secretary, verified the exactness of the copy.

Sam Giancana--he affects dark glasses indoors.

Jack Patrick--he s a shy fellow at gambling inquiry.

James Allegretti--a man who handles cop contacts.

Ross Prio--he ranks high in syndicate circles.

Ralph Pierce--still a power in south side gambling.

Chuck English--active in two police districts.

Marshall Caifano--won t talk at Senate inquiry.

Fiore Baccieri dislikes being photographed.

Charles Nicoletti is quizzed in a slaying investigation.

James Rini--now a prison guest of the state.

Jack Cerone--he s on top in Austin district.

Sam Cesario--he s a fixer and climber in syndicate.

Joe DiVarco--Rush street bows to his wishes.

Jimmy Catuara--a reputed producer of bombs.

Sam Mesi--lost his job as supervisor of garbage.

Willie Aloisio--his word law in Shakespeare area.

Police Try to Cheat Lie Tests

Lie tests given police- men in connection with the burglary scandal have presented to Chicagoans the amazing spectacle of law enforcement officers deliberately trying to cheat.on the same kind of test that many suspected criminals are asked to take. Some policemen took tranquilizers before going on the lie box. Some report for the test after work, and some stayed sleepless for hours before the scheduled tests. But it was all in vain. Experts say skilled polygraph operators can tell when a subject is deliberately try- ing to "beat the box."
You must be a member of the Keddie Forum with 15 approved posts to view the files attached to this post.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to timelines