041026 Evidence freezer- what was done with evidence?

case files, articles, etc

041026 Evidence freezer- what was done with evidence?

Postby jhancock » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Dated 10-26-2004.

On 09/07/04 Investigator P. and I defrosted an evidence freezer that contained autopsy kits from the Keddie Homicides, including DNA and blood samples from Glenna Sharp, John Sharp, and Dana Wingate.

The condition of the freezer was found in the following state. The freezer was stored in a locked evidence room at the Plumas County Jail Facility. The freezer was plugged into an outlet and had electrical power. It should be noted that the freezer has been without power during electrical outages in the past years. It is unknown if the contents in the freezer completely thawed or not.

The freezer door was frozen closed with ice. We had to pry open the door. Once opened, the interior of the freezer was basically a solid piece of frozen ice. After chipping the block of ice from the top shelf, we recovered three cardboard buckets/autopsy kits of Glenna Sharp, John Sharp, and Dana Wingate.

The autopsy kits were removed from the freezer. I discovered all three of the cardboard tops of the kits had been pushed down a couple of inches into the interior of the containers by the weight of the frozen ice. I cleared the ice from the top of the container and removed the paper lids. The kits contained a small amount of ice, which was removed. The items inside the kits were sealed in clear plastic bindles and evidence bags. The tops were placed back on the kits and resealed and sent to DOJ for DNA analysis.

On 10/26/04 I received the attached DOJ Physical Evidence Examination Report of the finding from those kits. Some of the items will be submitted to the DOJ Richmond Lab for DNA analysis. This report will be forthcoming at a later date.

During the course of the case, Investigator F. submitted additional evidence back on 04/10/03 and 07/08/03. These evidence items were in the form of hair samples recovered from the scene next to Glenna Sharp and from John Sharp's hand. These hair samples were examined for any root material. There was not enough root material on the hair for DNA analysis.

Abbreviated list of submitted evidence to DOJ:

Hair from John Sharp's hands
Hair from floor between Glenna Sharp and couch
Hair from floor near feet of Glenna Sharp
Left-hand fingernail scrapings from all three victims
Right-hand fingernail scrapings from all three victims
A blue and white shirt with stains
Debris and hair collected from the blue and white shirt

The fingernail scrapings were repackaged and saved. No hairs were observed in the plastic bag labeled "hair from left hand" or the plastic bag labeled "hair from right hand."

The blue and white shirt and the debris/hair from the shirt were not examined. The items were previously examined in 1984 and found not to be connected to the case.

The hairs were examined for any root material. One root was observed on a hair collected from John Sharp's hands. These is not enough root material on the hair for DNA analysis. No roots were observed on the remaining hair.

[During filming of Part II, we contacted all three of the technicians who signed these various forms. Three lengthy phone conversations were held with each, and all three agreed to a "meeting of the minds" in Quincy to do a thorough review of all evidence. As far as we know, the PCSO has not followed up on this possibility]
jhancock

Re: Evidence freezer - what was in it and what was done with

Postby tinkerbell » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 pm

The blue and white shirt and the debris/hair from the shirt were not examined. The items were previously examined in 1984 and found not to be connected to the case.

How can this not be connected to the case, when it says it was collected at the scene???
tinkerbell

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 am

The white-and-blue-shirt part is odd-I'm really surprised it wasn't checked more throughly. Why was it blown off like that? :shock:

If the shirt didn't belong to the Sharp family, or to Dana, then that means someone else brought it there. In that case, it should have received much more attention than it did.
Last edited by Chichibcc on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chichibcc

Postby dmac » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 am

Whoaaa, Nelly.

The blue and white shirt is first mentioned in the report during an "abbreviated" list (abbreviated how so?) of evidence sent to DOJ. The crux of the report is about DNA evidence, with the 9/7/04 date being closest to submittal.

It nowhere states WHERE the blue/white shirt (with stains) came from, nor when or how found. Blue hoodie from the river? bullshit. Dress found under 28? bullshit. Where did Blue and White come from?

I recommend you say nothing, because it is likely just that: NOTHING. Spend a few weeks arguing over it online or, worse, in your own head. Then Josh will release a report that nullifies all of it.

Your choice.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 am

So....are you saying that like the other two articles of clothing found that you mentioned, that the blue-and-white shirt doesn't mean anything, either? It just appeared out of thin air? I just don't know about that....
Chichibcc

Postby tcmc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Chichibcc wrote:So....are you saying that like the other two articles of clothing found that you mentioned, that the blue-and-white shirt doesn't mean anything, either? It just appeared out of thin air? I just don't know about that....

Sometimes, items are collected from a crime scene, merely because they are present at a crime scene and MIGHT be relevant. That does not mean they have any relevance to the crime. Not everything contains usable DNA, hairs or other matter.
tcmc

Postby Bosco » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:35 pm

What is the known history of the blue and white shirt, why was it ruled out as irrelevant to the case? Any thoughts?
Bosco

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:02 am

A blue and white shirt with stains

What stains? :shock:

So here's another 'blue and white cloth' at the scene, along with the photgraphed sheet and one presumably missing (bottom sheet and top sheet from Tina's bed). All these blue and white cloths, now, and still there isn't one anywhere NEAR bloody enough for Justin to have "helped Sue" as he described.

SO WHERE'S THAT CLOTH? Does it even exist? I'm becoming very doubtful. Either that or it was removed from the house.

How is this shirt here not relevant? And what were those stains?
Ausgirl

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 pm

AHA!

The blue and white shirt is probably this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=403

Which was found elsewhere - at or near cabin number 18?
Ausgirl

Postby dmac » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:28 am

The sweatshirt was recovered in June 81, described only as blue. It's also clearly described as a hooded sweatshirt, zipper-front. Like a modern day hoodie without a drive-by killer inside of it.

As the chain of custody documented in the sweatshirt report indicates, the sweatshirt was handed over to DOJ by Stoy four days after it was grabbed by PCSO Forcino. in other words, it was given to DOJ in May 81 for testing- and that's the last we hear of it, officially, that I'm aware of.

I don't think the blue sweatshirt and blue/white striped shirt are the same thing. However, Josh has indicated that a blood-soaked rag/cloth is seen in a CS photo he has of Sue: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116&p=1147#p1147 Sounds to me like it's the cloth Justin says he applied to Sue. It's repeated by Justin in Part One, and by Marilyn.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Cheshire » Mon May 26, 2014 1:37 pm

jhancock wrote:Dated 10-26-2004.

During the course of the case, Investigator F. submitted additional evidence back on 04/10/03 and 07/08/03. These evidence items were in the form of hair samples recovered from the scene next to Glenna Sharp and from John Sharp's hand. These hair samples were examined for any root material. There was not enough root material on the hair for DNA analysis.

Who is Investigator F. and why does he/she have additional evidence to submit?
Cheshire

Postby sunnyday » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 pm

I would think on the one hair with root no matter how small, now in 2014 they may get something useable from it. There is a big change in DNA the last 10 years.

It is so hard to believe that they have nothing useable in such a bloodbath murder of 3 maybe 4 counting Tina in such a small area as the cabin let alone the front room.

How do the people of Keddie and surronding areas just forget this horrible crime and pretend it did not happen.

Maybe it bears repeating to them that 4 human beings were MURDERED! They are DEAD!

And no matter how many boards and forums come and go there will always be people involved in solving this.

And I hope the people that have known for the last 33 years anything no matter how big or small and never spoke up for fear will have some sort of concious someday to say what they do know.
Tamara
No child's murder should go unsolved.
sunnyday

Postby dmac » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 am

there are the documents saying evidence was submitted to DOJ in the 80s, then the documents about opening the block of ice that were the Keddie case specimens- where they found a couple empty bags marked "hair". Then there is this document... saying similar hairs were submitted and tested.

People wanna say cops didn't know what they were doing in the face of such a huge case. I say the document trail shows a complete lack of professionalism stretching on for decades, including generations of new cops screwing the case already screwed by the last generation. Systemic fraud, systemic failure. Not coincidence.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie files