Different take on Justin

theories and spec; back up posts w/ reasoning and evidence/examples

Different take on Justin

Postby templeofamon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:01 pm

I agree with Josh on Justin's actions in refusing to talk to Sheila. I am not giving him a pass on this but think about the following.

Justin grew up in a dysfunctional house. Parents divorced (?) and his mother is now living with another man who by all accounts has a MAJOR anger problem. Then he witnesses a quadruple homocide. A girl he has a crush on is kidnapped and murdered. All by Marty Smartt, his stepfather. Then afterwords he is threatened by Marty to keep silent. His mother seems powerless to stop the threatening. Then blocks it all out in his mind. Once again, I am not giving him a pass on his actions but I am sure the guy is messed up in the head and probably doesn't think logically when it comes to the case.

What is everyone elses thoughts?
templeofamon

Re: Different take on Justin

Postby William Lee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:56 pm

I feel sorry for child-Justin; what he must have went through is unimaginable. Adult-Justin is another story... Unless he has some MAJOR memory-blockage issues, then I certainly can't feel the same pity. I don't care WHO he THINKS he's protecting, if that's even the case... If he remembers and knows who did this crime, his only reason for being silent these days has to be, to me, based on potential profit. If so, it's inexcusable.
William Lee

Postby templeofamon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 pm

William Lee wrote:I feel sorry for child-Justin; what he must have went through is unimaginable. Adult-Justin is another story... Unless he has some MAJOR memory-blockage issues, then I certainly can't feel the same pity. I don't care WHO he THINKS he's protecting, if that's even the case... If he remembers and knows who did this crime, his only reason for being silent these days has to be, to me, based on potential profit. If so, it's inexcusable.

I agree but what child Justin went through would effect what adult Justin is doing now. If profit is his only reason, then yes its dispicable.
templeofamon

Postby William Lee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:32 pm

templeofamon wrote:[...]what child Justin went through would effect what adult Justin is doing now. If profit is his only reason, then yes its dispicable.

Would it?

And yes, it would be despicable.

That's just my take on him, limited in knowledge as it may be.
William Lee

Postby William Lee » Thu May 26, 2011 9:06 am

He should help the families by telling EVERYTHING he knows, EVERYTHING he remembers, and he should do so because it's the righteous & proper thing to do as opposed to what he has been and is still doing: withholding info, acting as if he is more so a victim than the Sharp's or Wingate's, and self-righteously deluding himself into thinking he could possibly write a book to tell said truth and cash in on this horrible set of multiple tragedies. I have no sympathy for Justin; as an adult with kids of his own, "protecting his mother" isn't a viable excuse anymore than "fear of retribution", as he knows good & well that the perpetrators of these homicides are good & dead. He deserves no sympathy. He knows so much more than he has ever told, authorities or anyone else. Of course this is only my opinion, but I stand by it with a complete lack of respect & sympathy for the once-traumatized child that he was; he is now an adult, and a selfish, wrongheaded one at that.
William Lee

Postby BUTTERFLYVALLEY1 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Oh my goodness, I had no idea that Justin was in Quincy. How long has he been there? He is married and has children? Does he ever come into the Keddie Murders forums? Has anyone ever talked to him since he returned to the area? With all the conjecture and supposition with no solid facts to back them up, I am probably very much alone with my thoughts, but I have not been able to draw any absolute conclutions as to just exactly what did happen and by whom. I do pray the truth comes out...and soon. It is only right. To remain silent still, I fear there may be more to this than we have been privy to. I cannot pass judgement on his actions without more proof than has been presented. I read somewhere that Justin was not going to write a book. I really think there is much more going on here than we believe. Until the killers have been made totally public and dealt with, it would not be extremely bright to write a tell-all regardless of who it turns out to be. If it was those two that most people believe, there is some reason they are still being protected. Think about it, it could be suicide on his part. I could not convict those two on the evidence not presented thus far. Hyberbole and pure misinformation have been running rampant up to now. I have to believe all this will come out in the wash as the family has suffered enough. Sue, Johnny, and Dana have the right to have the truth come out so they can indeed rest in peace. They paid for honesty with their dear lives.

:ouch___it_hurts:
BUTTERFLYVALLEY1

Postby tinkerbell » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Since Justin decided to do a book, he has refused to talk to me at all because I told him I didnt want anything to do with it and why couldnt he tell me what he knows. I do not know if he comes on the site at all....I have talked to his brother a couple of times and the last couple of times I was in town, he wouldnt talk to me anymore...so I am not sure what is up with them...
tinkerbell

Postby meankitty » Fri May 27, 2011 10:09 am

Justin moved back to Quincy in 2006. Earlier in the year, he was allegedly too scared to come to Quincy, and I don't know why he stopped being afraid and decided to move here. He does have a daughter. I don't think Justin ever comes on the forums here, and I don't think Marilyn has since 2007. He did write a book, but it hasn't been published.
meankitty

Postby BUTTERFLYVALLEY1 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:09 pm

I am so sorry. In my post above I neglected to mention sweet little Tina, she too paid dearly. I guess my mind tries its utmost to divorce her from the whole situation just because I am the way I am. I feel so very bad about the rest of the family and I feel sorry for Justin having to witness all of it, if he did. No 11 year old needs that...it can ruin your entire life. I can't help but believe something major is keeping him from coming forward and we may or may not know until it does come out, if it ever does. If he is indeed hoping to profit from his knowledge by publicizing it, then he is to be pitied for a major break in his psyche which was caused by all of it. I do not understand his silence on the subject but sometimes things aren't real until you reveal it. He may be protecting his own mind. He may be in total denial. I pray he does the right thing...the truth can set one free.
BUTTERFLYVALLEY1

Postby dmac » Fri May 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Butterfly, many of us share the same quandary: we look at the major crime scene, as latecomers, and rarely fail to to accept Tina was part of the crime. Understanding the victimology of Sue, John, and Dana is one focus, yet Tina slips thru as a separate victim when she was not. Score one for the perps and PCSO: Despite the bullshit, Tina was a victim, too.

PCSO's DT has major blame for that. His rhetoric was 'Tina Did It', and there was no publicity to the case, really, when she was found. Just a pile more lies about Camp 18, which persist today. Lies about who was found, where, when, how, and another chance to bullshit the case into oblivion.

Tina died that night, as did the rest. They are all victims of a mass murder, something PCSO resists almost all attention to.

Almost.

Why 'almost'?

PS- thanks for your posts, again. I entirely agree that "modern conveniences" have destroyed the family, ruined the convenience of nature as entertainment (actually, imagination itself was the toy, and that's what has been destroyed), and it was intentional.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby TREELAND » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 pm

If Justin has written a book, wonder whats holding him back from publishing it. Is this the one the older man Ed Cates helped him write or wrote for him? Does Justin live right in Quincy or does he live with Ed at Keddie Flats, does anyone know? Maybe Marilyn has asked him not to publish it until her death or he is still trying to find a publisher. Glad to hear he has daughter and hope things are working out in life for him. Justin if your a lurker on this sight any comments would be appreciated if you ever feel like joining in. You could be the key to solving these horrific murders.
TREELAND

Postby 7Scarlet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm probably going to take one in the chops for this post, but that's okay. I'm just speculating.

There are probably a couple of reasons Justin Eason doesn't publish.

For one thing, LE isn't exactly cooperative under the best of circumstances, and it's difficult to write a book about an event like this without at least some help from them. I don't think his experience with them was the greatest either, to begin with.

And, whether it be true or baloney, some people think Justin killed these people, or participated in some way. He must know that, and that would hold him back.

And number three, not all of the killers, if any of them, are dead. I know most generally people believe Marty & Bo did it. I'm not about to dismiss that. But if they did, they weren't the only ones. Someone else was there, someone who knew the layout of that cabin, inside and out, better than either of those bozos could have.

I wouldn't publish either, if I were him. I don't even know if I'd speak to anyone about it.

Just sayin.
'Confirmation Bias:' Find the evidence that supports your contention, and explain away or ignore that which doesn't.
7Scarlet

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:35 pm

TREELAND wrote:If Justin has written a book, wonder whats holding him back from publishing it.

I personally believe Marilyn was very much involved and was in the cabin at some point while everything was going down, and to keep her from being implicated in the crime and possibly even arrested/convicted for her involvement, he's choosing to stay quiet, at least while she's still alive, that is.

To us, looking on the outside, it may seem ludicrous that Justin would want to protect her-Marilyn certainly won't be winning any "mother of the year" awards based on how she chose to raise her kids. But still, she's the only mother he has, and will ever have. I guess blood is really thicker than water, no matter what the circumstances.
Chichibcc

Postby SammieJo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 pm

But still, she's the only mother he has, and will ever have. I guess blood is really thicker than water, no matter what the circumstances.

I think this is a really important point when wondering why the hell Justin would want to protect his mom...We all know LooneyTune was a manipulator- the poor kid is probably STILL seeking out the love from her he didn't get as a kid- or atleast the pat on the back. They were damaged people- all of them, & I mean who the hell isn't - but we need to keep that in mind when trying to understand why *some* people handle things theway they do with this case...
SammieJo

Postby jhancock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

I learned through Part II that there never really was a book; it was actually a screenplay of sorts that never really got off the ground. Justin and Ed Cates never seemed to have the discipline one would need to pull off a project of this kind, and Ed wasn't able to produce any notes or written pages from their "writing sessions," so again, Justin's book was more of a myth or pipe dream than anything else.

This case deserves a right proper book. My goal with the hardcover, coffee-table-style book was to show a "director's notebook" of sorts, revealing all the goings-ons behind the documentary. It never lived up to that goal, and frankly, I'm a little embarrassed by the book now.

My early advice to Richard Whittle was to not rush Sheila's book; to seek out a bonafide agent, editor and publisher; and perhaps to find a genuine true-crime writer who could do this story justice. I was stunned to learn that the book was "ready" in just a few months and that it would be self-published. I was disappointed by the approach to the book, but I do admire and acknowledge Sheila's efforts to voice her story.

There was a successful writer who was really passionate about this case and who had developed an entire outline for a potential true-crime book; Amanda and I were on board, and spent several weeks of correspondence and information-sharing. Unfortunately, the author and Sheila could never get on the same page, and eventually the project crumbled. I know the writer was disappointed by this, as he had high hopes for the project, seeing it in the same vein as In Cold Blood and Helter Skelter.

I still hope someone will take on a book like this; I don't have the expertise or writing ability, but I'm certainly more than willing to share whatever I have to make it happen.
jhancock

Return to just speculatin'