new to board

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

new to board

Postby gary » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

i have read little on this sight and have not seen the films referenced on this sight.

i am a retired railroad engineer. for 37 years i worked various divisions, the last 9 years of my r/r career i worked the feather river canyon division. we would trade train crews at the keddie-y, bnsf r/r. i went through keddie in r/r vans or taxi and passed the cabin and the other buildings there four or five times a week at various and all hours of the day and night, (before and after the cabin was torn down). i know little about the actual murders, local stories only.

what brought me to this sight was a web interview seen last night with a principal from this sight. there was a mention, in that interview, of keddie being haunted. for me that place can be terrifying . i can feel the quivers as i hit the keys even know. when the forces are quiet there is little at keddie except a feeling of not wanting to disturb the power. the forces there can be very strong and can sometimes be felt even when passing on hwy. 70. what seems strange, however, is that the haunting does not come from the cabin or that spot after the cabin was torn down, but rather, from the old r/r sleeping barrack a short distance away. i know others that have been there and agree on this point.

it is best to know when not to be too bold and for me the power or force or whatever you call it that sleeps in that old barrack is a force not to mess with.

a strange coda -- a story i believe;
on the railroad the last spot named before keddie, is twain. just a few buildings are at twain one is an old (hotel), that building can be seen from hwy. 70. it is said locally that jim morrison and the band the doors rented and stayed at twain for an extended time in the late 1960's or early 1970's, over 10 years before the murders. if true, they would have most certainly been regulars at the keddie bar (open at that time) probably the closest bar and hangout. somethings truly are strange!
gary

Re: new to board

Postby dmac » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

The hotel/resort in Twain has nothing to do with the Doors, and the story is way off anyway. The only thing correct is it involved the label the Doors were on, Elektra Records. In 1968-69, they leased the old hotel at Paxton, called Paxton Lodge. Jac Holtzman, the head of Elektra, set it up and sent a rag-tag team up there to turn it into a live-in studio. Live-in producer, live-in band, and eventually live-in groupies. I knew about that LONG ago, before coming back onboard the Keddie case, as I know a lot more about music trivia than I do about Keddie. However, although Paxton 1968 has nothing to do with Keddie 1981, I'm certain Paxton 1981 DOES. I have a ton of info on Paxton I've been meaning to post, including the fact the lodge was burned down a couple days after the Keddie Murders. Tony the Greek must have been known to the druggies in Paxton, as he was known to the druggies in Twain and Keddie. Where Tony lived at the Hot Springs is right between Twain and Paxton, etc etc. I'll put a detailed post together with all my info when I have a spare week to write it.

Anyway, the most famous person at Paxton Lodge was their in-house guitarist and songwriter, Jackson Browne. Better than the Doors, imho. Jim Morrison was a pussyboy poseur. Browne may be considered a stalwart of hippie SoCal sloth-rock, but his songs have more real grit and bite than anything Morrison ever wrote.

Welcome to the board, and I hope to hear more from you. When you mention the barracks, you mean the dorm across from the Lodge building? What years were you going through Keddie?
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby gary » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:47 pm

i worked the canyon 1998-2008 in total nine and one half years. i don't bring new facts only experience of being there many many times over some years. you clear some old rumors for me, thanks. the place is haunted.
gary

Postby dmac » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 am

I don't know much about what happened to the dorms after the Albins left. The building was one of the first condemned as uninhabitable by PC, which may predate your time in the area. Back in 81, nobody from the RR was using the dorm, as it was filled with supposed students from a hinky nearby college- there were a long line of trailers on the looping dirt road, just below and north of the loading dock at the back of the Depot building, filled with RR workers. I think excess RR workers were being put up at the Gold Pan on Crescent in Quincy. What were lodging arrangements like during your time?

Your time was after the once-glorious Western Pacific was shafted by it's owner, and he turned it into a lame freight route that was quickly squelched by SoPac, with unfriendly marketing and unfair pricing through the region. By mid-70s, WP was a ghost and Keddie was toast, due to lies and bull coming from the top.

Were the Dorm or Lodge buildings ever in use while you were there? How about Cabins 26 or 28? 26 is the hellhole at the bottom and to the right as you leave RR property, as you are about to turn left on Resort Rd to head towards the lodge and the bridge to the south. 25 is the nice, 2-story home on the corner to the right, and 26 is the tiny box behind it, further to the right on that dirt loop road. See the map.

I know you can't add to the evidence in the case, but what is the scuttlebutt you heard? Even during that period, there were some lingering elements from the murders- Vickie, for instance, has never left.

PS Burlington Northern Santa Fe is huge in my memory, and there are a ton of Qs you could possibly clear up about the history of the rail system in Plumas. I want to discuss the nuts and bolts of the job and what access was allowed when. I don't know rail lingo as well as I could or should, but rails do mean a lot to this case. For instance, there were access roads along the keddie line that traversed the rails north, hugging the tunnel to Reno. There were access roads heading south to South Keddie, where the old Roundhouse was. What do you know of either maintenance access roads? I can show fotos of where "South Keddie" is and was, if it helps, but you probably know.

I am very interested in the rail knowledge you must have locked up. I'd specifically like to ask about the likelihood of a recorded engine number coming through Keddie when the line it belonged to was wholly banned by WP. Well, there are tons of things I'd like to ask because I'm a smoldering railfan anyway. I was on trains as a kid, I deliberately take trains when time allows for me to get from A to B, and the Lionel set I had as a pup weighed about 30 pounds because it was the real metal from the 60s. None of this plastic micro-scale crap.

d
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to intros