I need your help here.

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

I need your help here.

Postby Ausgirl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Both Kathy Howard's murder and that of Lynnette Mollath are horribly under-reported.

It's hard to think about, but some truly horrific crimes against individuals and families simply become forgotten because they don't capture media attention or the families don't wish a fuss, or the details released are too scanty to draw attention while people are looking at other crimes.

Then I find discussions like this one -- on Beverly Jarosz, another teenager - murdered in her home, the crime unsolved. Just have a read through the comments on that board. People speaking up, asking questions, being outraged --- still caring, after all these years. I've found several other discussions like this on Topix, where community members and people who knew the victims are communicating what they know, or just their feelings, many years after the crime.

Why is nobody stepping up to talk about Kathy, or Lynette?

What the hell is different about people in Plumas? We all know unhelpful people have been about the cabin 28 murders, but at least there's been some discussion, some avenues for people to talk. Where's the neighbours and school friends, even here? I've posted about this crime all over the net. Where's the crowds of people who knew Dana, John, Tina and Sue? Where's the community outrage? It's voices that keep a crime fresh in people's minds, that keep the victims from being forgotten. We'd all like more voices from the past to come forward - and I'm sure we're all very grateful for the ones who have.

One of my high school friends was murdered and dumped by a road in 1983. To this day, the crime is unsolved. Reportage freely available on the net? One small mention in a 1995 Government paper concerning a reward for information. That's it. Like Lynette and Kathy, she's not even in the 'unsolved homicide' listings anywhere in this country - something I am currently working on fixing.

How does this happen? I am pretty sure those familiar with the case we're all here for know how easily the murders of Sue, John. Dana and Tina could have drifted into relative nothingness. Look at the reportage about Tina, even at the time - so scanty, it was shameful.

I'm appealing to you all who post on this board, as well as the many people who only come by to read, to help me dig up any reports, news reports, police reports, anything, any information that still exists regarding Lynnette Mollath and Kathy Howard.

Why?

Because 1/ I care, and 2/Those two murders are intimately connected to the crimes in Keddie, via more than one link to the same places and people. Both Kathy and Lynette were students at Quincy High. They lived in the same community as Dana and the Sharps. They had the same teachers, maybe knew some members of the same local families.

More than that, both of these crimes were looked into by the officers investigated the murders at cabin 28 -- for a reason. The crimes are not at all dissimilar in several ---- and yes, NOT all -- regards. But enough to make the police look into them, and more than enough to make me go "hmmm".

If nothing else comes of it, we'll have a pile of information at hand for those people who don't wish to see the deaths of these two young girls become forgotten, faceless statistics with not even a posting on the 'unsolved' lists with enough details to make them count.

It's hard, from here and with my scant resources, to access information at times. I don't have the benefit of libraries or local phone calls (and international rates are crazy expensive sometimes) and some newspaper archive sites have payment methods I won't or cannot use. Any help at all would be very appreciated.

KATHY
1973: Kathy Howard 14, was abducted from Quincy and found in Yuba County, near La Porte. She died of blunt force trauma and a cut throat. She was also stabbed in the eye. Kathy was not raped, and was found fully clothed.
- Here's a report from PSCO regarding the similarities between Kathy's murder and Tina's.
- Here's some documents with further information.

(there's other information on this site regarding Kathy which I'll post here as I find it.)

LYNETTE
1978: Lynette Mollath was found murdered in her Piedmont home. She was naked and had been strangled and stabbed but had not been raped.

(again, I'll post whatever info is on these boards here as I find it.)

These users thanked the author Ausgirl for the post (total 5):
racerkey (Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm) • dawghouse (Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 pm) • meankitty (Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:20 am) • Chichibcc (Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 am) • not sure (Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 pm)
Ausgirl

Re: I need your help here.

Postby bliss » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I can't answer much as to why those murders have so much less press. so many murders in California go with barely a minute on the news and maybe 1 or 2 columns in most papers,.
As to why so many that knew the victims don't post here or on sites as topix is {my opinion from growing up here}
1. many don't have an education beyond high school and feel belittled often when they do try to participate. {there have been quite a number of people on the boards over the years} or almost harassed because they cannot answer alot of the questions asked of them.
2. alot of the people who lived in Keddie and Quincy at the time were involved with drugs and may be afraid to implicate themselves of drug use.
3. alot of people in Plumas county DO care deeply about the murders, but most I have talked to don't feel constantly participating in Topix or a forum would help the case.
they know very little if anything.
there was a time that many surrounding counties talked about it alot. truth and lies. and alot of stories as to what happened. but I believe as tie passes
less people are of detective type minds to continue to be active in boards like this.
I posted on this ostly because the comment "what the hell is diffrent about the people in Plumas" could be some reason why some don't want to participate.

It is a very tight knit rural comunity, and believe me everyone mourned these murders. but just because they don't participate themselves online t okeep the story going, doesn't mean that they don't care. most would love these murders solved. but realistically know its probably never going to happen.

wish I had some info on Kathy, but I don't remember much of that at all. I do think its possible theres a corelation between the two.
but my opinion is the Mollath murder was not. agin these are just my opinions.

most in the dept. know who committed the murders, but with the murderers dead. they feel why keep investigating when it will never go to trial? and sadly, this view is shared outside of the dept. as well.

These users thanked the author bliss for the post:
meankitty (Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:21 am)
bliss

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:01 am

Cheers, Bliss. Most in the dept. know who committed -which- murders?

I still need some help with these two cases. News reports, anything that I can add to 'cold case' posts on various sites. The more information I can put on those, the more interest there'll be and who knows, somebody might just come forward after all.
Ausgirl

Postby dmac » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 am

Most of us know about the Keddie case because of the internet. Some lived in the area, some heard about it and followed it for decades, some heard about it after them wacky internets ruined the Jack Benny Show. Hell, some involved here were likely inside the cabin during the murders.

Look up deaths caused by major criminals and, unfortunartely, you find nothing about the victims, yet everything about the criminal. That is the nature of celebrity, whether it be yellow journalism from 2012, 1912, or 1812: The victim is forgotten once the mass audience buys the papers and wants to see blood. America, if not the world, considers a murderer a celebrity worthy of attention and praise, and the victims are forgotten. Victims are ignored, justice is nothing.

That's 180 degrees wrong.

The Keddie case has resiliancy due to many factors which other crimes you mention don't exhibit. Still, the main reason the Keddie Murders are 'famous' (much less argued) is because of staunch support from folks who remember(ed), the websites that sprang up and kept it going, Josh's docs, and even a totally ridiculous connection to a lame slasher movie.

Name one Ted Bundy victim and you see the riddle of pseudo-celebrity. America mourns the victims for three seconds, only to make the killer the real celebrity. After that, the victim is forgotten, a nobody. Name the victim John Wayne Gacy was busted on. Nobody remembers that kid's name, but Gacy is still a celebrity. Rob Piest is far more than a nameless victim of Gacy, he's the one where the family and friends relentlessly told cops that Gacy was the one. GACY GACY GACY GACY, and that's exactly what it took. Without them screaming, Robbie Piest would have been just another number instead of the guy that Gacy should never have tortured and murdered. I commend the family, friends, and supporters of Robbie Piest, because it took a shitload of evidence before cops acted. And it was a community effort to get Gacy arrested.

Sounds to me like "BY THE RIVER BY THE RIVER BY THE RIVER BY THE RIVER BY THE RIVER BY THE RIVER"

The Keddie Murders actually stand out for simple reasons: Sure, it was a multiple homicide. Even the overkill brings it notoriety. None of that makes it stand out from dozens of other similar cases. Simlar crimes and victims are forgotten.

In reality, it is the resiliancy of those who followed this case from Day One, or since the day they discovered it. There is no case in Keddie without public involvement because, without these boards and these documentaries, the dirty cops would have thought they got away with murder.

I owe an apology to this board for my post before taking a hiatus. Sure, we don't do all what we could, sure we're a bunch of useless assholes. Sure, we could easily do more, it's so easy. As Aus has so poigniantly made obvious, we keep the case alive and slog forward while other worthy victims are all but forgotten.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post (total 5):
racerkey (Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm) • meankitty (Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:18 am) • Chichibcc (Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 am) • Ausgirl (Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 am) • not sure (Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 am)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby racerkey » Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Narrow it Down. it's still Weird. Keddie murders. Resort owned by Mollath. Mollath murder in Piedmont. Seemingly unrelated, they are instead connected by property owner, Plumas Co. Now the connections between Kathy Howard, Tina, and gold miner found dumped on SAME wilderness road within 10-15 mile radius. The road had to be traveled by perps to do the deed. Roads connect to Feather Falls and Gas. Two gas stations 1981 in Feather Falls. One in town and one down the road at the Gold Flake bar. If you are at Keddie, a spaced-out doper, just murdered a couple of people, and suddenly have a body to dump, what are the chances the dump car is filled up w enough gas to go up and out into the boonies wo running out of gas. What doper murderer had the foresight to fill up on the way out of town? Kathy Howard same scenario. Picked up at Quincy and brought to the same distant location to dump. Who had a car filled w gas so as not to run out on the lonely back roads above Feather Falls. A round trip meant stopping for gas. The perps KNEW where they could GAS UP midway after the body dumps. Extreme confidence and knowledge of the area. Very strange, almost like an off-roader jeep club member. Those were the only wild cards in this murder deck. Off-road experience, extra gas cans, CB radios, and knowledge of that outback wo getting lost, night or day. An off-roader out of Oroville would know All of the above. In addition, who gets called up to assist the local SO for a wilderness search? Jeep club.

These users thanked the author racerkey for the post (total 2):
Mamma_C (Sat May 21, 2016 6:33 am) • aeffects (Fri May 20, 2016 3:28 pm)
racerkey

Postby racerkey » Fri May 20, 2016 9:54 pm

[quote="Ausgirl"]Both Kathy Howard's murder and that of Lynnette Mollath are horribly under-reported.

It's hard to think about, but some truly horrific crimes against individuals and families simply become forgotten because they don't capture media attention or the families don't wish a fuss, or the details released are too scanty to draw attention while people are looking at other crimes.

Why is nobody stepping up to talk about Kathy, or Lynette? If nothing else comes of it, we'll have a pile of information at hand for those people who don't wish to see the deaths of these two young girls become forgotten, faceless statistics with not even a posting on the 'unsolved' lists with enough details to make them count.

Why?

Because 1/ I care, and 2/Those two murders are intimately connected to the crimes in Keddie, via more than one link to the same places and people. Both Kathy and Lynette were students at Quincy High. They lived in the same community as Dana and the Sharps. They had the same teachers, maybe knew some members of the same local families.

More than that, both of these crimes were looked into by the officers investigated the murders at cabin 28 -- for a reason. The crimes are not at all dissimilar in several ---- and yes, NOT all -- regards. But enough to make the police look into them, and more than enough to make me go "hmmm".

Thank You ausgirl-- I have used your Muse to open the subject of my own conclusions. also Thanks to all who have performed the warp and woof of the Matrix to allow my observations to coalesce. And to you dmac for administering this assemblage of the truly concerned, outraged, and mystified. To unravel any mystery one must have a sense as to the beginning, the middle, and the end. This is true as applied to math, history, music, and physics. The mechanics of the problem, if you will. From this, a framework can be made to hang the bits of otherwise unrelated information and speculation. "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."--Doyle......... In this case, it seems I must paraphrase. Once you have observed the overlooked, and eliminated the improbable, whatever FACTS remain are the truth. The murderers are Steven Howard and Gary Mollath. Facts: Green Chevy pickup belongs to Gary Mollath. Descrip of POI wire rim glasses. Both "suspects" of murdering their own kin. La Porte Steven Howard his sister, Kathy- Keddie-Piedmont Gary Mollath his sister, Lynette. Mollath family ran Keddie. Howard lived at La Porte. LaPorte-Quincy Forest service road connects the two through Meadow Valley, another disappearance of kin (grandmother) to Roger Stratton at the time of the LSD parties-the "middler" of the LSD used at the Keddie party. True source was Meadow Valley Inn Pat and Joe Amormino of Berkeley-"family" of Grateful Dead LSD cooks. Personal knowledge. Again personal knowledge re access road to Camp 18 from aforementioned La Porte-Meadow Valley FS road. Gary Mollath owned Green 55 Chev p.u. Interview mentions Terry Alger as seeing Smartt w two UNKnwn in Green 54-57 Chev p.u. w roll bar. Smartt in truck w two "suspected" kin-killers. The bodies of each separate crime (Keddie-Tina Sharp and Kathy Howard were dumped on the same road connecting both source locations, and an "escape" route down through Feather Falls to Oroville and Mollath to the Bay Area, Howard to the Yuba Co. side. I believe everyone was high on blotter--provided by Meadow Valley Inn Pat and Joe Amorino to Roger Stratton. There was no "big drug conspiracy" or "mafia drug conspiracy". Every drug was available by area privateers. These privateers were unaffiliated. The mob was not trying to muscle into a bunch of Butte County or Plumas County weed growers, Berkeley acid cooks, or crankster-gangsters. Nothing "organized" about it. The "mob" cannot control everybody. All drugs were available to Quincy and Keddie from LSD/Meadow Valley, Crank/Heroin/Oroville, Coke and Weed Berry Creek, Twain, another run-down company ghetto/"H"-- all accessible by back roads to La Porte-Quincy-Meadow Valley Forest Service Rds., or Ste Rte 70 depending on dirty (take the back road) to clean (rt 70). Smartt and Bo just found out too much and split Q to K Falls because they were too "dirty" to blab and the kid-killers, Howard and Mollath did not have the nuts to off a mob guy and a crazy nam vet. These were not "pro" hits, mob hits or dope hits. They were immature shithead tripping dipshit murders as were the Manson girls. They were not pros, yet people got grisly murdered for no reason as was the Keddie mess. The connections are the two dipshits who each murdered their own family member(s) separately and were young enough to grab Tina for themselves. Smartt and Bo were just there "on the way down" having just returned from the VA together, crashing at the available Quincy ghetto and doper haven as was the entire Feather River Canyon. Crank was cooked in every available rural trailer, cabin, old mine and what have you in 81. Weed was grown on every Forest Service Rd. for accessibility. Doug Thomas covered it up because he was Smartt's buddy and knew he knew too much and likewise, Thomas was deeply up shit creek because of Smartt relationship, his Keddie former digs, and it was HIS jurisdiction. Yet he had NO CLUE re Mollath and Howard. These two were unknown to him at that time. We only know because we have put so many straws together I can see it. Scratch "Bo"-no knowledge of dumping grounds. Likewise Smartt. Their only involvement was proximity in a dead-end town where everybody "knew" too much yet never added Mollath to Howard, the wire rimmed glasses guy, the Green Chevy p.u. and their grisly exploits elsewhere. Small town Sheriffs have problems. Too close to too many scumbags and too far from making a legal case. How could he know about Piedmont-Mollath or Yuba Co. La Porte Howard? Kathy Howard was not a random other-perp murder and neither was Lynette Mollath. Small towns have their own "underbelly mafia". All amateur speedfreaks, drunks, stoners, hangers-on and their associates. nothing else to do. Isolated in many ways. Mollath and Howard, the Leopold-Loeb duo of Plumas Co. Doped out of their minds on Berkeley Acid, doing Manson style deeds, and bouncing around back roads in an old pickup. Case Closed.
racerkey

Return to intros