introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

Postby JRB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello, all. Found this site while surfing around trying to see if the murders were ever solved. I lived in Quincy from 1979-1981 (Class of '83), and this horrendous crime has always lingered in the back of my mind, having been friendly with Dana & his sister Renee at school and knowing the Sharps from when they lived in town. (we were neighbors in that dumpy little trailer park across from the airport). I remember hearing about it when I returned from an Easter break visit with my dad in SoCal, and just not believing it. Quincy was such a sleepy little town back then (and from what I can tell, still is!) but I remember that my mom started locking the doors and really keeping close tabs on me after it happened. Sad times.

These users thanked the author JRB for the post (total 2):
bigsis (Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am) • dmac (Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm)
JRB

Re: Newbie

Postby dmac » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:08 am

Welcome aboard. It certainly sounds as though you can offer something this board sorely needs: a view of the situation from someone who lived there and knew the victims. It seems you were close to what was going on in Quincy at the time, and may be able to shed some light.

Perhaps you can provide more details about the Clairmont Trailer Park, how well you knew the Sharps, and what the culture was like at QJ/SH, plus what Dana was like. He's, perhaps, the least understood victim to most members, simply because all we have heard is badmouthing from cops and gossips alike.

Thanks for joining, and I hope our little community may provide answers as to what happened, and why the case was 'never solved'.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby JRB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Well, unfortunately, Clairmont was very low-rent & run down, even back then. Not a place I would have chosen to live as an adult. I was not very close to the Sharps at all, being a bit older than their kids. I did, however, give Tina rides on my horse every once in a while. I kept my horse in a pasture down the street, but had to walk her home to saddle up, and Tina often showed up to pet her. She was a sweet girl.

And it saddens me to hear that folks have been badmouthing Dana. When I moved to the area, he was one of the first people, aside from my friend Kathie, who welcomed me to the school and went out of his way to chat. He was actually one of the founding members of our local chapter of the FFA, and we had a few classes in horticulture and animal husbandry together out at the fairgrounds. Not to say that he didn't get into trouble! Unfortunately, when I was there, there was not a lot of things for teens to do on a Friday or Saturday night. A problem in most small towns, I'm afraid. There was quite a bit of partying going on at most of the school's social levels. We didn't hang out, but Dana was always friendly and polite to me and my friends.

These users thanked the author JRB for the post (total 2):
Chichibcc (Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm) • dmac (Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm)
JRB

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm

I think, out of all the victims, Dana is probably the person we know the least about....as far as I know, none of his family has posted on any of the Keddie forums, and it would be nice to have their perspective, to make things a little more balanced. I think there have been a couple others, like you, who have posted in the past and who knew Dana "in passing," but weren't really close friends with him.

Plus, I'm sure his home life probably contributed to his "acting out," which I can understand, especially after watching his dad's interview on part 1 of the documentary, which really made things more clear for me.
Chichibcc

Return to intros