Lynette Mollath's murder & similarities to Keddie homicides

case files, articles, etc

Re: 2 Clippings: Albins Take Over Keddie

Postby quincygirl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Just ran across some old yearbooks someone from Quincy High posted in Facebook and decided to try to find the Mollath's. The first year they are in any of the yearbooks is 1971. It shows Lynn Mollath is to graduate in 1972 and Gary graduated in 1974. So apparently, the Mollath's moved to Quincy sometime in 1970-1971. Don't know if people are still looking into this but thought I'd put it out there.
quincygirl

Postby dmac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 am

links, Qgirl?????
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 pm

quincygirl

Postby dmac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Excellent, Keep 'em coming!

From the 1971 QHS Yearbook, when Lyn Mollath was a junior:

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:02 pm

What other ones do you want? Just give me years.
quincygirl

Postby dmac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 am

Due to other major players likely being in the QHS Yearbook, it'd be best to have them all from 71-83 or so. If there's a gen link so I can find them, that'd be fine, too!
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I think they only go up to 74 and 72 isn't there, but they are posting more all the time, I will keep checking back and put them here when they come up, here's the ones that are there for now (you have to be a member of the facebook group "Quincy Peeps" to get them I think so anyone else on here who is a member can get them too.)

http://yoloosx1.csuchico.edu/yearbook/QHS_Pine_1970.pdf

http://yoloosx1.csuchico.edu/yearbook/QHS_Pine_1973.pdf

http://yoloosx1.csuchico.edu/yearbook/QHS_Pine_1974.pdf
quincygirl

Re: Lynette M.'s murder and similarities to Keddie homicides

Postby dmac » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Here are the photos of Gary Mollath from the yearbooks:

Image Image[/url] Image

Note that his achievements are listed as "1,2,3,4" . That's the lowest achievement I saw for a student, and I believe it means that he simply attended all four quarters of the school year. I was a total underachiever in HS, and I still accidentally got several listings and a stupid letter. At least he's finally smiling...!
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 am

1,2,3,4 are the years he attended Quincy High....it is a Jr. Sr. High which means you start there in 7th grade, but they only list from Freshman year on. I wouldn't pay much attention to anything that was printed (Ambition, Last Will and Testament), my last will and testament wasn't even mine, it belonged to another girl with the same first name as mine.
quincygirl

Postby dmac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 am

Ah, ok, thanks! I didn't read any of the "last will" stuff, because it's only taken from seniors, and I've barely had a chance to look for a couple people's photos. I don't see myself gaining anything from scouring through every photo in every book- I'm just looking for names relevant to the murders, to see if they or family were in the area for long b4 81. However, I stumbled across the faculty photos in one book, and Dan Dorris was the Special Ed teacher back then. Just perusing the staff and students can build background and leads. Much appreciated.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby ForensicGirl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Ausgirl wrote:Isn't it a BIT strange that the home invasion murder of the daughter of an affluent, Anglo-Saxon family with strong ties to the community and business in the area gets THIS little publicity?

Ausgirl, I too find this somewhat strange. Combine it with the fact that the article notsure posted very directly pointed out the wealth of the family (....$250,000 home...) and it just doesn't add up.

Dmac, I think the location they were talking about was the location of the wound. That is the way I took it anyway.

Her body was lying on a curtain that had been torn down from the window but she was not bound. I reviewed the ME report and found that the wound to her throat was much wider and deeper than the wound to Glena's [sic] throat. The location, however, was almost identical.

It is kinda cool putting faces with these names. Good work dmac and quincygirl!
Loops, Whorls, and Arches...oh my!
ForensicGirl

Postby not sure » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Am I the only one who noticed how much Tina resembled Lynette?
not sure

Postby quincygirl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 pm

quincygirl

Postby ForensicGirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 am

Found some good stuff in that one quincygirl! Do you have 1981?
Loops, Whorls, and Arches...oh my!
ForensicGirl

Postby quincygirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am

No, I check the files every couple of weeks and when they put up new ones I will post them.
quincygirl

Postby dmac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm

There's a name index in the back- somewhat complete. I only saw one photo of Dana in the book (Outdoor Club group photo), and he doesn't have a class photo. Many others show up a lot- many a Meeks, Greg Hagwood must be in about 15 shots (he was a jock, surprise surprise!), and a few others of note. It was the 79-80 year, and none of the Sharps appear. Also, lots of photos and ads from places like Sunrise Motors- a car dealership where one witness worked and Dana was on probation for slashing some $7,000 in tires. I'm guessing he slashed tires on the cars parked out in the dealer lot, since it makes most sense. Also you can find ads and photos of other stores- liquor stores and bowling alleys. Is any of these joints where the mysterious Arcade resided?
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:52 pm

I don't remember for sure, but I think the arcade was located near the high school, I think there is a place called "Stoney's Burgers" there now. If it wasn't in that same building, it was very close by.
quincygirl

Postby meankitty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm

There was an arcade for a while across from QHS, but that was in 1982. It was never in Stoney's burgers that I know of.
meankitty

Postby dmac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Stoney's Country Burgers has been out of business for a couple years now, but the address was 11 Lindan Ave. It's on the NW corner of Lindan and Main- and I don't know if there's a new business replacing it. There's a couple old buildings between it and Plumas Motor Supply- which has been there since the invention of dirt. One of them is a State Farm insurance, and the other is the Grange Hall. If it's the same ARCADE as mentioned in the stolen car/drug bust and resultant lawsuit against Gamberg, any of those three particular buildings could fit the description of a building with living quarters in one area and the arcade in another. The State Farm building presently closest matches the description in the article I posted. The arcade in the Gamberg suit (from January 1978) was called "FUN & GAMES"

[Samuel and Diana Quinn] are defendants. The questions presented in this proceeding concern the legality of the arrests of defendants and one Rodney Lee. Shortly after noon on January 25, 1978, a 1974 model Porsche was stolen in Oakland. In Quincy, at approximately 10:50 the following morning, Deputy Sheriff Gamberg, on patrol in a sheriff's car, observed the Porsche parked behind a storage shed in back of the Fun and Games Arcade (Arcade). The Arcade building houses a commercial entertainment establishment and separate living quarters for the proprietors who at the time of these events were the defendants Quinn.
The Porsche was substantially concealed from view from the street. Gamberg, a veteran officer, had never before seen this vehicle. A citizen informant, the former owner of the local bus station, told Gamberg no one had been at the Arcade the previous afternoon and evening, nor had the Porsche been there the previous day. There were two puppies and some clothing in the car. In answer to his inquiry, Gamberg was informed by the radio dispatcher that the Porsche had been stolen the day before in Oakland. Gamberg placed the Porsche under surveillance. Ten to fifteen minutes elapsed and Rodney Lee walked up to the driver's side of the car and reached down as if to open the door.

Where was the former bus station? If this is the same place, and drug deals and stolen cars are taken care of in the back, then we may have a better understanding of why Marty was sighted there the day the murders began.

PS- Quincy Appliances is right across from the high school (to the west)- Safeway Center is across Main. I think it's been around forever, too...? And I doubt the arcade was in the same building as Stoney's- In the 73 & 74 yearbooks, a restaurant called Carl's Drive In was in that building.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby quincygirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 pm

The bus station moved around a bit as I recall, at one point it was by Morning Thunder (long before the restaurant was there) and the last spot I believe it was in was right across the street from the old liquor store, near Sweet Lorraines (I think that's the name of the restaurant. There are some apartments there now and you would catch the greyhound right there. The place I was thinking might be the arcade was an ice skating rink for a short time when I was in high school. DMAC you are right about Carl's being at Stoney's, there was another drive in where the appliance store is also, can't remember the name. It went out of business before I graduated.

I'm not picturing the grange hall in that area, I was pretty sure it was on Lawrence street near the post office. There was also a hall they had dances in when I was in high school I think it was called the IOOF hall, it is where the Natural Food store is now.
quincygirl

PreviousNext

Return to keddie files