Newbie!

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

Newbie!

Postby oksooner » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:45 am

I can't remember what originally brought me here a couple of years ago--but once I read about the case for some reason it grabbed me. I read a lot of the info provided by the wonderful posters and at some point became frustrated with the lack of concrete timeline. I came back the other day for some reason and have been poring over posts.

Some general observations:

In 1981 I was ten, and a little young to be totally in tune with the culture of the times. Having said that, it is a shocking picture painted here of the way of life in the area back then. How did the Keddie/Quincy area become so engorged in drugs? The lawlessness and lack of morality are amazing to me. Not to mention the pedophiles--the worst of the worst.

Sorry for the off the subject, but I really have a hard time visualizing what it was like there in 81. I know there are some good people in the area, I just wonder how they put up with this mess? Can someone paint a picture for me of general 'life' in the area in 1981?

I promise I will get more on the subject with future posts!

These users thanked the author oksooner for the post:
dmac (Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:07 pm)
oksooner

Re: Newbie!

Postby dmac » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm

I agree that Quincy's crime rate wasn't above average, nor the number of pedphiles to population. However, due to the geographical nature of Plumas County, very few areas can support a human population. It's a remote, rugged, mountainous area. There are only a handful of valleys, and Quincy is one, Indian Valley / Greenville another, Chester another. That's where all the population masses are, and that's why all the pedophiles/druggies/criminals are packed so tightly alongside other citizens.

I disagree about the safety and general attitude in the area. Granted, mk lived there and knows much of the history, but she was also very young at the time and I think is blind to a few things. In my research and observations, Plumas has a longstanding issue with police corruption and general corruption by the few wealthy in charge. Sure, just like the rest of America, right? For the most part, I agree that type of corruption is / was seen in vast stretches of America, but the type of corruption and how it plays out in Plumas is different. Cops can do no wrong, the courts don't have to prosecute anything they don't want to, and that leaves the county "supervisors" to get on with the job of covering up the dirt while emptying the coffers. It's a vicious cycle that, in this case, led to an atmosphere where covering up the murders of four innocent people was favorable to exposing the corruption.

Add to that the drug culture, which plays directly into the case and the coverup. Lots of posts here that go into that at length, but one thing about depressed economies and drugs: the drug culture is fast and furious, it's mean and it's ugly. It's not suburban white boys smoking pot after school, it's more like a smaller version of urban drug warfare, built to work within the rural confines of working class America. Oh, and do not forget meth had just exploded from Sacramento Valley-- that changed the rules of the war dramatically.

I think Plumas has several tiers of population, and most of them whitewash (completely, or to some degree) the atmosphere of desperation in that town: NO WAY OUT. Many entries in yearbooks, year after year, of people saying their desire is to "Get Out of Quincy", yet few do so without returning (like after a stint in the army). And the newbies that settle in the area are usually bringing their own brands of desperation along with them. And these days? You try working minimum wage-level jobs in that economy- if you can find one- then pay exorbitant California rents, buy gas at rates normally 20% higher than the national average, and go to Safeway to buy hamburger at $3.50 per pound? It's not a healthy economic climate, period, nor was it in 1981.

It sure is a pretty place, but I would NEVER want to live there. The humans just make it a very ugly place to live.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
Chichibcc (Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:18 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby meankitty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm

I may have been young at the time, but I sure wasn't that naive. I do know of the higher up shenanigans that have occurred and got published in the paper. And my mom got a police scanner years ago in the late 1980's that sure made interesting listening. You could figure out where the criminal element lived just by listening to where the cops were dispatched to all the time.
meankitty

Postby quincygirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 am

I lived in Plumas County my whole life, first Taylorsville, then Greenville and finally Quincy. I lived there from 1958-1975, left and came back from 1979-1981. Quincy was considered the "rich town". When we moved to Quincy from Greenville in 1968, we moved from a house to a double-wide trailer and trust me, it was an upgrade. My parents were divorced before we moved to Plumas county, that remained a secret for many years, we were told to say our father was dead. We were very poor, 5 children supported by one uneducated woman. But my mother was proud and we were never on public assistance. Two of my brothers were in Vietnam and when they came home, they brought the drug culture into our home. One of my brothers had shipped drugs home, concealed in items, he made a mistake with one box, addressed it to my mother, she opened it and discovered the pot. It is a very long story but needless to say, my brother was arrested when he returned and endured years of harassment from the police. He moved away and came back years later, clean and sober and lives there still. I think he is probably friends with some of the law enforcement now. I became involved in drugs when I was in high school, mostly pot but other things too. You quickly get to know who you can get it from, and it is everywhere. There never was much to do there. The big industry used to be lumber mills. Of the 5 operating when I was a kid, there is only one left. Lots of jobs lost.

I had a crappy home life and all I ever wanted to do is get out of Quincy, which I did. It was a depressed area and if you ever wanted to do anything except work for the County, you had to leave. I know people who have stayed and they seem the same as they were 30 years ago. I went back once, for a 2 year stint, it was as bad then as it was when I was a kid. Even more drugs and losers.

I was still into drugs when I went back in 1979 and there were lots of places to get them and lots of people who used them. There were "acid" parties at the Meadow Valley School lots of weekends. You paid an admission price which included your hit of acid and everyone partied all night long. I think about it now and I wonder how I survived all that shit. I never knew any of the "big players" in the drug community, but I knew a couple dealers. I do remember a drug called "crank" that you snorted, it was the "cheap coke", I'm not sure if that is meth but it was becoming a huge deal in 1980.

I wasn't even one of the biggest users of drugs that I knew, I was pretty mild compared to some of the people I hung out with, had I stayed there, who knows, but I knew I needed to get out of there before it got me. I'm now a law abiding citizen that doesn't know any drug dealers....thank god.

These users thanked the author quincygirl for the post (total 7):
gotbier (Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 am) • meankitty (Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am) • Indigo (Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:24 pm) • dmac (Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am) • Chichibcc (Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:11 pm) • not sure (Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:44 pm) • Cheshire (Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:40 am)
quincygirl

Postby oksooner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Quincy--you sound like an awesome person. Thats what I get from this board is mostly good people that are pissed about injustice. One thing I have learned is that there are good and bad people no matter where you go.

Question--The couple that were awakened by noise and looked at their clock-- 1:15AM, is that totally credible? I mean, that sounds pretty solid to me--"looked at the digital clock"?
oksooner

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:40 am

Quincygirl, I found your story to be really inspirational....it shows that, regardless of their background, an individual really can make better choices for themselves to improve their lives, if they really want to, and it seems that you did. Same for your brother. It can be done.

OK-I've found that claim to be credible...I'm sure there were digital clocks in 1981, they obviously weren't as advanced as they are now, of course.

Plus, it helps to kinda "narrow down" what time everything might've started going haywire-at least to a certain extent.
Chichibcc

Postby oksooner » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm

OK, so is it possible that M&B call Sue after returning to their cabin from the bar? Then, after doing some blow and stewing, they leave and go to 28 and never go back and close the bar down? Maybe Johnny and Dana are outside jacking around by the RR tracks and see M&B enter the cabin so they go back in and interrupt?
oksooner

Return to intros