Other Crimes We Follow

Re: Other Crimes We Follow

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Chichibcc

Postby Ausgirl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 pm

I've been making a little progress in the Elfrieda Knaak case. Between researching and that and Bo, I think I've learned far more about early 20th Century Chicago than I really meant to! I am very fortunate in her instance that there was a great deal of newspaper coverage. America in the 1920's was an amazing place, it really was. It seems to me that era was more -- I don't know. Hopeful and energetic.

Anyhow -- in the process of researching for Elfrieda and the list of likely suspects, I found a website where a guy who worked for the original private detective agency told a few stories about his time as an investigator in the 70's - and they were so rivetting, I'm going to ask him if he'd like some help turning them into a book. He also has a casebook belonging to the original guy from back in Elfrieda's day, too, so I did ask him to look for mention of her in it. Wish me luck!
Ausgirl

Postby Intrigued » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 am

Neat case, Aus!! Good luck!! Everytime I read those old papers, I hear the voice of Howard Cosell narrating the story. It drives me crazy, lol!!

One of my favorites are the Villisca Axe Murders. I am sure most, if not everyone here, has heard of it. I have never come across crime scene pics from this eerie crime. Not that I would trust, anyhow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villisca_Axe_Murders
http://www.villiscaiowa.com/
Intrigued

Postby Chichibcc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Here's one case that is almost too crazy to be true, yet it actually happened.

A young woman, "Sharon Marshall" (not her real name, which is unknown to this day) was abducted by a pedophile/career criminal by the name of Franklin Delano Floyd around 1975, raising her under the pretense of being his daughter (which she wasn't) until she was killed in a mysterious hit-and-run "accident" in 1990. The fifteen years in between were full of horrific abuse afflicted on her by this monster, and Floyd moved them around constantly (pretty much whenever someone got suspicious of what was really going on).

Despite all she went through at home, Sharon was an honors student, and her excellent grades helped her to earn a full scholarship to Georgia Tech University, where she hoped to study aerospace engineering (sadly, she would never get the chance to attend).

Before her death, Sharon gave birth to a son, Michael, whom Floyd abducted from the school his foster parents enrolled him in during the fall of 1994; he has never been seen again.

Floyd is currently in prison, but has refused to reveal "Sharon's" real identity, where she came from, or what has happened to Michael, whom he tried to claim as being his son; (DNA testing has proven that false, however).

One of the most baffling cases I have ever come across, with so many unanswered questions.

I HIGHLY recommend reading this book-Sharon's story is something you will never forget. I know I won't. Ever.

http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/a-beautiful-child.html

"Unsolved Mysteries" segment on Michael's abduction (in which "Sharon" is referred to as "Suzanne Davis"-another alias she went by).

These users thanked the author Chichibcc for the post (total 3):
not sure (Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 am) • dmac (Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 am) • Princess (Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:17 pm)
Chichibcc

Postby Cheshire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I've been following this one for years, and there is finally some good news:
http://www.trialanderrordennis.org/
http://www.kjonline.com/news/defense-cl ... 09-24.html

These users thanked the author Cheshire for the post:
Eastern (Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm)
Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

This case also has a detective taking home case records - the only other time I'd heard of that in a murder case, and a slew of sleazy perps in the neighborhood who should have been suspects. I'll try to put together a summary of the case, if anyone's interested. Should finally be getting some resolution after all these years, now that they are doing the DNA testing.
Cheshire

Postby dmac » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm

something funny- taking records home- they all admit to TAKING ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS- get it? Real professionals may legally or illegally take REPRODUCTIONS home but since when do you see such a bunch of assholes claiming to have original documents?

Due diligence.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
Chichibcc (Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby not sure » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 am

At this juncture, the bloody fingerprint on the glass is just hearsay. There is no hard evidence showing the glass existed or the fingerprint existed. The glass isn't listed in any of the evidence reports and none of the official documents we've been privy to mentions it. What we know is this information was told to Josh via email from someone he considers a trustworthy source. Discussions on the glass can be found here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=886&p=11832&hilit=marty%27s+fingerprints#p11832

Don't get me wrong...this doesn't mean I think the glass was a lie. It just isn't in any of the evidence we've seen. Could be hold back evidence that LE hasn't shared. Most cases such as this have some kind of hold back evidence they keep private from the public. But without hard evidence we have no way of knowing where the trusted source Josh referred to got the info. Could be someone told him about a glass and a fingerprint and he passed the info on. No way of knowing for sure though. At least, not yet.

These users thanked the author not sure for the post (total 4):
bigsis (Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:14 pm) • Eastern (Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 pm) • Chichibcc (Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm) • meankitty (Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am)
not sure

Postby Stay_zee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Hey (says stay_zee directing the subject back to other crimes) did anyone read about Jeffrey Macdonald? He's getting a new trial. When I first read about and saw this case on a crime tv show I just knew he did it. I haven't really thought about it in years, but new forensic technology has uncovered evidence for a new trial. This will be interesting to see.

ETA: This is the kind of thing I hope for in this case. For all intents I believe all the hard work on this board and through the documentaries that killer/killers have been identitied. It would be so awesome if enough evidence could be uncovered/discovered to bring a conviction.
Stay_zee

Postby Eastern » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Cheshire wrote:I've been following this one for years, and there is finally some good news:
http://www.trialanderrordennis.org/
http://www.kjonline.com/news/defense-cl ... 09-24.html

Thanks Cheshire. I had never heard of that one and it's a really interesting case. Some very damning evidence against Dennis on the surface, but the new DNA evidence is compelling for his innocence.

These users thanked the author Eastern for the post:
Cheshire (Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm)
Eastern

Postby Cheshire » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for checking it out, Eastern. For many years I resisted reading about the Sarah Cherry/Dennis Dechaine case because from what I'd heard of it, I was certain Dechaine's supporters had just been sucked into believing a charming psychopath was innocent. Finally I read "Human Sacrifice", a book about the case that was written by a former ATF agent (Jim Moore) who started researching it, thinking that he would -- once and for all -- convince Dechaine's supporters that he was guilty. But as Moore researched it, he became convinced that Dechaine was innocent. ( http://www.trialanderrordennis.org/the-books/ ) There are numerous similarities between that case and the Keddie Murders in terms of how the police were either incompetent or corrupt -- or both. Also there was no shortage of creepy sex offenders in the area, one of whom raised particular interest, so I'm very interested to see what this new DNA testing reveals.

These users thanked the author Cheshire for the post:
Eastern (Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm)
Cheshire

Postby Eastern » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Yeah, I read the part about the footprints leading up to one of the sex offenders's trailer. Small footprints alongside larger ones - clearly two people with one being a child and that the footprints were seen by cops when they were searching for Sarah. That LE didn't immediately check him and his trailer is incomprehensible. Poor girl.
Eastern

Postby 7Scarlet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 am

I don't follow any other cases now. Except for parole hearings for the Manson Family members, I kind of stay away from it.

But years ago, I ended up immersing myself in the Green River murders.

When I was a teenager, I met another girl who became a friend while we were living in a "treatment facility". She had a terrible life up til then, the last but not least of which was sexual abuse by her stepdad that ended in pregnancy. Her Mom kicked her out of the house and her twin babies were given up for adoption. It was very sad.

After we were released back into the world, my friend turned to prostitution. She would call sporadically, usually when she was upset and crying, but she had fallen "in love" with her "boyfriend" who was in fact the guy who was turning her out. She was so emotionally damaged she didn't see a way out, and I was in no position to assist, being 15 myself and living back home with my family. Then she disappeared.

Before the internet came along, looking for people and finding information was a lot harder than it is now. I called her grandparents, mutual friends, did everything I could think of to locate her. Then I heard she had gone out West...to either Vancouver, BC or Seattle, Washington. Maybe even Los Angeles. In any event, she was gone and no one ever saw her again.

A couple of years later, I had a baby of my own and got my first apartment. At a yard sale I picked up a copy of "The Search for the Green River Killer" by Thomas Guillen & Carlton Smith. I read it in a day, and then I read it over again, hooked into the story by the four unidentified teenaged victims of this monster serial killer, who was still at large at the time.

My interest in the Green River murders was two-fold. I became empathetic to these poor girls who reminded me of my lost friend, and because I was nearly murdered in the 1980's, I wanted to see this monster caught and imprisoned for what he had done to all these girls. I ate, slept and breathed this case for years. I scoured missing persons databases, and even made one of my own. I sent potential matches for the unidentifieds to Tom Jensen, the lead Green River Task Force guy, and to Gerry Nance of NCMEC. I pestered of ther LE agencies also. I started volunteering for websites and organizations dedicated to solving these kinds of crimes. I became really good friends with a lady in Arkansas whose brother disappeared in 1978, and had the opportunity to get to know hundreds of people in this situation.

I cried like a baby when they arrested Gary Ridgeway, and I did feel a little triumphant when they led his evil ass into the courtroom. And more than a little sad too. Eventually, it burned me out and I had to quit. I just couldn't do it any more. No more missing kids and databases and autopsy photos and family members writing me and sending me DNA samples so I could send them to my contact in Texas because their own LE wouldn't do it (The TXDPS is very much open to assisting civilians for free to help solve unsolved homicides, fyi...so is the NCMEC)

So now Keddie is the only case I follow.
'Confirmation Bias:' Find the evidence that supports your contention, and explain away or ignore that which doesn't.

These users thanked the author 7Scarlet for the post (total 3):
Indigo (Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm) • Princess (Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm) • dmac (Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:15 am)
7Scarlet

Postby coley1981 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Chichibcc wrote:Here's one case that is almost too crazy to be true, yet it actually happened.

A young woman, "Sharon Marshall" (not her real name, which is unknown to this day) was abducted by a pedophile/career criminal by the name of Franklin Delano Floyd around 1975, raising her under the pretense of being his daughter (which she wasn't) until she was killed in a mysterious hit-and-run "accident" in 1990. The fifteen years in between were full of horrific abuse afflicted on her by this monster, and Floyd moved them around constantly (pretty much whenever someone got suspicious of what was really going on).

Despite all she went through at home, Sharon was an honors student, and her excellent grades helped her to earn a full scholarship to Georgia Tech University, where she hoped to study aerospace engineering (sadly, she would never get the chance to attend).

Before her death, Sharon gave birth to a son, Michael, whom Floyd abducted from the school his foster parents enrolled him in during the fall of 1994; he has never been seen again.

Floyd is currently in prison, but has refused to reveal "Sharon's" real identity, where she came from, or what has happened to Michael, whom he tried to claim as being his son; (DNA testing has proven that false, however).

One of the most baffling cases I have ever come across, with so many unanswered questions.

I HIGHLY recommend reading this book-Sharon's story is something you will never forget. I know I won't. Ever.

"Unsolved Mysteries" segment on Michael's abduction (in which "Sharon" is referred to as "Suzanne Davis"-another alias she went by).

I read this book a few years ago. That story stayed with me. That pig deserves to suffer everyday for his awful crimes.
coley1981

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am

coley1981 wrote:I read this book a few years ago. That story stayed with me. That pig deserves to suffer everyday for his awful crimes.

He really does. He knows exactly who "Sharon" really is, and where/who he got her from-but even in prison, he won't divulge the info-most likely out out of sick desire for "control." It's so infuriating.

But a very interesting development has come about recently-on his blog, Matt Birkbeck explains how the FBI has been in contact with a woman who not only knew Franklin Floyd as a child (via her father, who was also a pedophile) but may also be a COUSIN of Sharon's as well! This is, by far, the best lead that has emerged in the case.

Tennessee Link-08/07/2013
It's been a year since I first mentioned a potential break in the search for Sharon's identity. Local and federal law enforcement have been involved, but to date there's been no significant movement or progress. So, here's what's been happening.
Police near Knoxville, TN received a call from a woman who said she knew Franklin Floyd when she was a child in the early 1970s, and that Floyd and his brother Billy had visited her father, who was a serial rapist and pedophile. Floyd was on the run (you'll recall he violated his parole in early 1973) and sought refuge with this woman's father. Around the same time, the body of Janet Carter was found in the Smokey Mountains and her three-year old daughter Christina was missing. Janet was from Birmingham and was in the midst of a custody battle with her husband when she fled. The woman claims that her father killed Janet and took Christina, whom he repeatedly raped before killing her and burying her body underneath his home.
Around the same time, Floyd and his brother were staying nearby, and the woman said she would be taken there every weekend, where Floyd would rape her. The woman remembers another little girl, a cousin, who was also repeatedly raped by her father. The cousin, said the woman, is Sharon.
The woman said her father was going to kill Sharon, but Floyd apparently fled wth her.
The woman told her story to the local police, who called in the local FBI. Their interest was minimal. After six months, and with little progress, I connected the local police to Joe Fitzpatrick, and over the past few months the woman has been interviewed several times by an outside FBI bureau. There are other details that can't be released yet.
The woman says she never read A Beautiful Child, and her memories are real. I thought enough of her and her story to pass it along. The bit about Floyd "rescuing" the girl from the woman's father is similar to what Floyd told me when I interviewed him, that he saved the girl from certain death. The woman's father is still alive, and last I heard police were going to interview him. Will keep you posted.

Source: http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/1/post/2013/08/tennessee-link.html

These users thanked the author Chichibcc for the post:
dmac (Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:42 pm)
Chichibcc

Postby bkl67 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

A case I've been interested in since the mid 80's is the Lake Waco murders. Does anyone have any insight, thoughts or feelings about this case???
bkl67

Postby bkl67 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm

These users thanked the author bkl67 for the post:
dmac (Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:02 pm)
bkl67

Postby Cheshire » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

This is another case that I've followed for many years. It's a perfect example of law "enforcement" corruption, and how those with little/no power in the system are treated. This is a recent series of articles about the case: http://www.pressherald.com/unsettled/
Cheshire

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Chichibcc wrote:Here's one case that is almost too crazy to be true, yet it actually happened.

UPDATE: Sharon has been recently identified as Suzanne Marie Sevakis, and she was from North Carolina.

Based on information the FBI was able to obtain from Floyd during an interview with him earlier this year, they located Suzanne's mother, who gave a DNA sample, and it matched.

She was married to Floyd, whom she met after he arrived in North Carolina from Florida, where he had fled after a parole violation (and had re-established himself in NC, under an alias).

She was later given a 30-day jail sentence, leaving him in charge of caring for Suzanne, her infant brother, and two sisters (all from a previous marriage).

When she was released, they had disappeared; Suzanne's mother located her two sisters, who had been left with a child services agency by Floyd; Suzanne, nor her brother, were anywhere to be found; her brother's fate is still uncertain.

More details here:

http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog/finally

These users thanked the author Chichibcc for the post:
dmac (Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:32 pm)
Chichibcc

Postby dmac » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update. I read about this case recently when looking into BS state claims of non-existent DNA evidence, fraudulent railroading of innocent people, etc. It's the case where the missing person turned out to be the daughter of the mom whose new hubby was the murderer. He killed the wife (mom), killed the brother, kidnapped her and acted like she was his daughter or niece for years, then she was his wife, then killed her, yet a son survives, living in anonymity?

sick world. Halloween is laughable compared to the sick shit I've seen while looking at this case.

Thanks, Chi- I heard the news a few days back by accident, and it has not even hit the mainstream press that I know. This is a huge story and nobody is reporting it. Disgusting.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to other sites & off-topic threads