The Matchbook

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

The Matchbook

Postby dmac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm

As the killers left behind a hard-pack of Camels, and an ashtray (from the dining table?) with a fingerprint was found on the kitchen floor "between the stove and the sink", it would seem ANYTHING related to cigarettes/smoking would be of significance to LE.

PCSO specifically asked Sheila if Sue had purchased cigarettes recently, and she said Sue had that Saturday afternoon at the General Store. Police recovered one Benson & Hedges (her brand) pack from the cabin, with one remaining cigarette. It was located in "Sue's Corner", the TV tray serving as an end table by her spot on the couch. They took into evidence that pack found on the TV tray, the lighter resting atop it, the ashtray embedded on the arm of the couch, and the contents of that ashtray.

LE took into evidence the ashtray on the kitchen floor, noting it had a fingerprint, yet no mention of contents or what they were. LE also took into evidence the ashtray found next to Sue's bed by her glasses, which contained "Benson + Hedges cigarette but [sic]". Why was Stoy so specific about the contents of the b/r ashtray, yet vague about the contents of the ashtray on the couch? And Stoy relates NOTHING about the contents of the ashtray on the kitchen floor?

They also took into the evidence the phone by the NE wall of the L/R. Take a look at that phone.

What's strange about this photo? The matchbook. Here it is, Photoshopped so it's right side up and reshaped:

Sue was a smokestack, yet there is no ashtray by the phone, just a matchbook. And who puts a matchbook in that position, upside down, with the strike strip facing away? Nobody, that's who. Granted, the phone was on a cord stretching from the girls room, so it would be easy for Sue to pick up the whole phone, maneuver the cord out from behind the chest/chair/table combination, and stretch it over to her corner of the couch for long calls, but... And, again, what about that matchbook? Was it just there because a phone number was written on it? Is an ashtray missing? Why doesn't item 52 of Stoy's evidence report list that matchbook, right after Item 51, the phone? Why no mention of the ashtray contents or that matchbook?!

Once I cleaned up the image, I knew the first word began with an E, and the second with an L. Looked like Enjoy Life to me, so I sent it to ache and she independently thought the first word was Enjoy. I looked around for a while and found this:

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the National Restaurant Association came up with the "Enjoy Life, Eat Out More Often"' slogan in the hopes of luring people into restaurants. Decades later, the slogan was out of favor, but it turns out a foodservice company bought the rights to it by trademarking it. Looking again at where I found that sole match for the logo found on the matchbook, it's from a renowned red hot joint just a couple blocks from where Alvin lived in Lakeview, Chicago: Boubede Central Headquarters.

The company that owns the trademark? US Foods, headquarted 5 miles away in Chicago. While today the slogan is used by low-class pervos who think they're being witty, US Foods still uses it, in block letters, on the sides of trailers.

Foodservice companies distribute to restaurants, hotels, institutions, etc- not to grocery stores. They are part of the "hospitality" industry, not related to grocery distribution. So you can't get those matches at 7/11 or Safeway, just a restaurant supplied by the owner of that trademark- US Foods.

How big was that company in 1981? Could they possibly network far enough away to distribute to Quincy/Keddie? If not, why were they in Cabin 28? Why would Bo, from Chicago, be carrying matchbooks from his hometown, if he'd been living in Vegas and Reno before "moving to" cabin 26? Likewise, why would Sue have a matchbook she likely couldn't get in CT, Gulfport, or Keddie? Why was that matchbook in 28?!

US Foods was not US Foods in 1981. US Foods is an example of one company buying another, then being swallowed whole by a conglomerate, changing names and owners, and ending up with their HQ back in Chicago. In 1977, the company that bought the trademark was called S.E. Rykoff, and they were huge on the West Coast and inland. Their HQ was in LA, and their trucks were all over the freeways. Remember them and their SER logo?

ImageImageImage

I even found this in an LA Times article from 83:

To the general public, Rykoff-Sexton is a low-profile company, perhaps best known in the West for the green-on-green trucks of the S. E. Rykoff division that proclaim: "Enjoy Life, Eat Out More Often." But anyone who has eaten away from home has probably tasted Rykoff-Sexton products or wadded up a cocktail napkin that was custom-printed at the company's downtown Los Angeles facilities.

So they owned the slogan in 1981, as they had since 1977 (in fact, they originally trademarked the slogan as "Enjoy Life! Eat out more often!" in 1966), and they probably serviced many restaurants in Plumas County, maybe even the Keddie Resort Restaurant. It entirely plausible that Sue got them from the Back Door Bar, or even at the Gen Store. Or Marty did, or Bo, or Loon.

What bothers me is that logo. I've only found a reproduction of it, on the wall of a red hot joint mere blocks from Bo's stomping ground, a restaurant whose decor is vintage 50s signage. SER must trademark each logo they come up with, along with the slogan itself, and I've only seen two logos they registered which utilize the slogan, but they are not similar to that design.

Rykoff owned the slogan in 1981, but I've never seen them utilize it in the vintage logo design found on that matchbook.

So, what about that matchbook?!

Here's the original 1966 paperwork, granting Rykoff the trademark to the logo shown- which isn't similar to the matchbook. The sole logo I've seen registered is the one they used on their vehicles (see above photos):

Image Image

The SER logo looks very similar to S&W, which happens to be a brand they bought out in the 60s
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: The Matchbook

Postby Magesta » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:55 pm

You really did your home work on this dmac, I thought that was odd too that there was no mention of the matches or what brand was in the ash tray in Stoy's report. More cover up or shoddy investigative skills. Frustrating.
Magesta

Postby patricktharper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 am

Very interesting indeed. Good detective work! I'm not old enough to remember the mentioned companies, nor am I on the west coast or near chicago. It certainly makes you wonder if the murderers were dumb or hurried enough to leave something behind so significant. Is it even likely that Bo or Marty would have stopped to have a cigarette in the middle of it all? If it wasn't them, could a meeting with the killers started off nicely enough for cigs only to end in murder?
patricktharper

Postby dmac » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Sue smoked B&H, and she'd bought a pack and smoked all but one that evening. Bo smoked Camels, and I believe Marty did as well. The pack the killers left behind was Camels.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby patricktharper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:04 am

I wonder if that shows that the killers weren't worried they'd get caught, because they believed someone was protecting them or that LE was incompetent and they just got lucky.
patricktharper

Postby Magesta » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:41 am

That is one of the things I find baffling about this case. It seems they went to great lengths to move, tie & pose the bodies, throw laundry around, no footprints other than Sue's in blood {which I'm still trying to figure out how they manged to do that} and other actions to mislead and yet they were sloppy about other things. Such as, leaving the cig butts behind with their possible DNA on & fingerprints., I knew Sue smoked Benson and Hedges and the killers smoked Camels according to reports. However, in Stoy's report he indicated ash trays and their contents were taken into evidence, but did not mention the brand of cig butts taken into evidence from which ash trays. I was thinking along the line of a 3rd person who may have smoked a different brand or the movements of the killers. Were there also Camels in the ashtray in the living room on the arm of the chair, were their just Benson & Hedges or also another brand, same with the ash tray in the kitchen. I did notice however, that they mentioned the brand in the ash tray taken from the girls room, so we know those we Sues.
Magesta

Postby Ava » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:52 am

I may be wrong here, but I remember that B & H always had white filters in 1980-81.
Camels always had brown filters if they had filters at all.

If a pic exist of the ashtrays, the answers about the cigs might be there in the filter color.
Ava

Postby dmac » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:48 am

I'm not a smoker, but worked in a convenience store as a kid and sold a few. I recall some brands used different colored filters/papers to delineate size (100s), strength, flavor (menthol), etc. Menthols & Lights were usually all-white. Ciggies rebranded in a slim box in order to create 'women's' cigarettes were usually white. As for B&H, I believe Sue smoked menthols. I don't have clear photos of the three known ashtrays: Sue's couch ashtray, the kitchen ashtray (found on the kitchen floor), and the bedroom ashtray (on the nightstand of the big bed where Sue was sleeping). The only time Stoy's report mentions brands is the bedroom ashtray, which one could conclude insinuates the others held different brands of butts...?

pezpz29z.jpg
439b.jpg
1447b.jpg

Sue's couch ashtray, xmas 80:

80xmasSheilaCouch.jpg
80xmas-Sue.jpg

Sue's ashtray, April 12:

G_14_overall_covered_from_kitchen.jpg
You must be a member of the Keddie Forum with 15 approved posts to view the files attached to this post.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 am

Good work Dmac and Ache! Rykoff and US foods I know well, as my mother and I both owned restaurants and they were our suppliers. But I don't recall ever seeing that sign, I do remember the green trucks. Is it possible that the matchbook came from the lodge at keddie?
Magnum PI

Postby dmac » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:50 am

My guess is Rykoff was a supplier at Keddie, and the Gen Store AND restaurant/bar all stocked the matches.

dmac wrote:So they owned the slogan in 1981, as they had since 1977 (in fact, they originally trademarked the slogan as "Enjoy Life! Eat out more often!" in 1966), and they probably serviced many restaurants in Plumas County, maybe even the Keddie Resort Restaurant. It's entirely plausible that Sue got them from the Back Door Bar, or even at the Gen Store. Or Marty did, or Bo, or Loon.

Were the restaurants you owned in Cali?
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Sorry D!
I didn't see that part of the post! that's what happens when I get no sleep, I miss things! Yes Restaurants were all in Cali.
Magnum PI

Postby gamman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:11 am

Interesting:
The match book referenced to was SE Rykoff's I knew Mike Plyer personally. He lived in cabin #16 in Keddie. During that time Mike reported hearing muffled screams in the area near his cabin. I know that Mike was a salesman for Rykoff during the time of the homicide and did business with the Backdoor Bar and the Keddie lodge. After the homicide I was employed as a bartender
at the Backdoor and ordered bar products from him. We had the same matches at the bar as did the lodge and store. Just for info.
gamman

Postby dmac » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 am

dmac wrote:According to the wording of the report on Dee, it seems Lake is saying he WAS at Smartt's cabin 26 on the 12th because Marty still had his car... Yet in Pt 2, Dee says he was in Keddie near dusk on Sunday, hitching with his son, and was going to visit Marty but didn't because he got a ride from "Mike, who lived a couple doors away". The only Mikes in Keddie were Mike Plyer, in 16, who heard the screams at 1:15am, and Frank Davis in 13, who went by Mike. Frank murdered someone and was never prosecuted. He was evicted from Keddie by the Albins for dealing drugs, and was gone by April 1. So which Mike was Dee's pal and taxi on April 12? Frank Davis fits perfectly, because that's the kind of scum Dee associates with, and the stupid lie about Mike Davis being Dee's taxi AFTER Davis was no longer living in Keddie further undermines his alibi perfectly. Of course he means Frank "Mike" Davis.

That's an old post, and full of inaccuracies. But it's relevant.

Cabin 16 Plyer, Mike- not married, lives with Barbara Martens, 2 kids:
    4/12/81 @ 0115, heard muffled scream from direction of rear of his house (according to notes on the PoN document)
    @ 0115, heard muffled scream from direction of rear of his house (Timeline A)
    810412-0115a Barbara Martens wakes Michael Plyer, cabin 16, after hearing sounds. Both of them heard what sounded like muffled screams from the rear of their cabin. Digital clock showed 1:15 am. [to the rear of cabin 16 is cabin 28]
    810412-0130b Michael Plyer was awakened by Barbara Martens in their cabin [# 16]. They heard what he described as muffled screams coming from the direction at the rear of their house. Approximate time: 1:30 am. Reported to Thomas.

Muffled screams? Muffled? Indoors at 28? Makes sense. Trunk of Sue's car? Nope, totally illogical. Hand over mouth? Bullshit. 1:15 is when Marty and Bo and Loon left the bar the first time, and it's the beginning of the murders. Marty and Bo went back to the bar, proving others were involved to control the crime scene while they changed clothes, went back to the bar to re-establish their conjoined alibi, and returned to 28 after.

Mike and Barbara are top witnesses, the only people to hear screams on PCSO blotters. Yet DeCrona says blood and knife marks were everywhere and nobody heard Jack Shit. He's wrong on both counts, yet his calling card is to spread the same old lies about what really happened: "blood everywhere" "They tore the house up" "hours of torture" "nobody heard anything, even the neighbors fifteen feet away" ALL LIES, ROD. You and Metcalf became lovers when? Did Mona Green toss in for a five-way?

Interesting stuff, but the icing on the cake is PCSO did jack shit to establish Marty, Bo, Marilyn, Dee, and Tony as the killers, and did jack shit to establish their timeline alibi as a construed conspiracy. It's abundantly clear the Loonibi is bullshit made by the same people to cover the same people, meaning a conspiracy.

Screams were heard, Mike and Barb looked up and saw on their digi clock it was 115 am, which directly means 'Marty Bo and Loon' were not the only killers. Sure, we've known that for a while, but the Plyer screams establishes a timeline that debunks the Loonibi, and it also perfectly lines up with the expert statement analysis saying they left the bar but did NOT go home.

In the interviews with Marty, Bo, and Loon, the Loonibi unravels faster than it was woven. Loon did not stay home, she did not go to bed, she did not watch news or a John Wayne war movie that was never on at that time, etc. They said they changed clothes, went back to the bar, had a drink. They said Loon stayed at 26, watching two different and non-existent programs, or asleep, depending on whose lies you hear. In fact, she was inside 28.

Bloody clothes, alibi. Bo, Marty, Loon, Dee, Tony: Murder One.

Wade? Momma Meeks? Yup, them, too.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby joe_mcplumber » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 pm

I worked in the FRC cafeteria in 1981 and Rykoff supplied our facility. They were probably supplying Keddie too, and probably every other restaurant in the county. In any case these matchbooks were common, there were bowls full of them at Perko's. I remember because i thought the slogan funny, but nobody else noticed until i pointed at the matchbook and said "Enjoy Wife" and then it was hilarious. I guess i was a low-class perv surrounded by low-class pervs.
joe_mcplumber

Postby Daltonbuck » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:47 am

Yes. It seems having one smoker in the house yet 2 different brands of cigarettes would allow even a mediocre investigator to deduce that one of those belonged to the perpetrators and would be a significant piece of evidence
Daltonbuck

Postby Samantha Mulder » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:33 am

patricktharper wrote:Very interesting indeed. Good detective work! I'm not old enough to remember the mentioned companies, nor am I on the west coast or near chicago. It certainly makes you wonder if the murderers were dumb or hurried enough to leave something behind so significant. Is it even likely that Bo or Marty would have stopped to have a cigarette in the middle of it all? If it wasn't them, could a meeting with the killers started off nicely enough for cigs only to end in murder?

I am a smoker, and while it is hard to imagine the killers stopping for a smoke during the murders, it is easy to imagine them doing so as they undertook the arduous process of moving and staging the bodies. Whatever the killers may or may not have been high on when the attack began, lifting that much dead weight post-crime would be extremely tiring, possibly causing someone to sit on the kitchen floor and have a smoke break while his buddy continued the work. That said, with saliva evidence being generally well-known in the early 80's, it seems counterintuitive that killers who had gone through the trouble of turning off lights and taking pieces of evidence would be so sloppy as to leave butts behind, along with a pack of Camel cigarettes.
Samantha Mulder

Postby dmac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:17 pm

I believe the placement of the ashtray, on the kitchen floor, is fairly robust circumstantial evidence supporting a core theory of mine. I didn't know about that ashtray, or lighting within 28, at the time I formulated this early theory.

The killers weren't turning lights off and on, attracting attention to the cabin. The sole light found 'on' by LE was the girls' bedroom, where the murders began. No light existed in the hallway connecting bedrooms and bathroom to the living room and kitchen, and I believe the only lights possibly used for ANY LENGTH OF TIME were the bathroom and/or girls' bedroom light(s). Familiarize yourself with 3D recreations I've shown speculating on the lighting within 28 during the murders and subsequent staging.

At some point, a killer was left behind while others were busy outside 28. I believe whomever was left behind hid in the shadows, in that tiny corner of the floor between the oven and sink. It's also the best hiding spot to hear/see/confront boys if they came out of the bedroom. Peak over the stove/wall from where the ashtray was and one can see if the boys' bedroom door has shifted, without anybody in the room having a clue.

By the time the third killer was smoking and chilling on the kitchen floor, the surviving boys had already been directly threatened.

I believe all of this went down after the murders, when Tina's body was being carried over the swinging bridge to be hidden outside of Keddie. At 3AM, all they were interested about was getting Tina out of Keddie, unnoticed, so they could retrieve her hours later with Dee's car.

Once dumping Tina across from 70, they walked back to 28 and staged the other bodies/ crime scene. As silly, stupid, gory as it sounds, all these factors match up with the crime scene and timing.

I believed for years the killer on the kitchen floor was Loon.

I know more were involved, but my certainty of Loon's guilt as a KILLER has never wavered. That bitch be a murderer.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:30 pm

did anybody notice the butts found in Sue's xmas 1980 photos?

Pure white butts smoked absolutely down to NOTHING.

Sue was apparently a very heavy smoker who left nothing to spare.

Sheila was asked about her mom buying smokes on Saturday, which means LE wanted to know, when doing math on Sunday, where some smokes came from. LE wanted to add up a cigarette issue they found on the murder scene. All LE found from Sheila is another pack of butts should have been present inside the house or in the immediate trash.

Look at what they asked Sheila.

Did your mom go out to buy smokes Saturday?
    yeah, I think so.

wow, those Camels suddenly still make no sense.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:45 am

Note the "one left" in that Sue knew she had one more and waited to NOT smoke it.

Figure out why.

It has nothing to do with how she was abused and murders

I kinda thought the vids I already made explained that shit.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby lynabus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 pm

dmac, I am following, I think ..please explain why one cig was left.
lynabus

Next

Return to keddie facts