810514 Joey & Johnny and Dana's ride to Keddie- 2 pgs

case files, articles, etc

810514 Joey & Johnny and Dana's ride to Keddie- 2 pgs

Postby jhancock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:01 pm

May 14th, 1981, at 0900 hrs, A/S Shanks requested that I contact a Pete T. somewhere in the Greenville area. From past memory, I recalled a Pete T. resident of the Crescent Mills area. Shanks asked me to inquire if Pete had any knowledge of the subjects by the names of Johnny and Dana. Shanks had me inform Pete that this was in relation to the Johnny and Dana mentioned in the 187 PC investigation, Keddie.

Pete told me that it was queer that I ask him about these two persons. I asked him why. Pete told me that he has a granddaughter named Cathy S. W/F, 14 years old, resident of Quincy. Pete told me that Cathy has a friend named Joey, last name unknown, who attends Quincy High School. Cathy was talking to Pete and in passing mentioned that her friend Joey picked up Johnny and Dana on the evening of the murder. Joey apparently told Cathy that he was driving his car, unknown type vehicle, dark in color, in East Quincy. Joey picked up Johnny and Dana who had been hitchhiking. Joey drove them to the entrance to Keddie and there let them off. Joey apparently told Cathy that when he found out about the murders, that he was afraid that the police would somehow implicate him in the murders. This is why the subject named Joey never contacted the sheriff's office.
jhancock

Re: Joey & Johnny and Dana's ride to Keddie - two pages

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Pete told me that Cathy has a friend named Joey, last name unknown, who attends Quincy High School. Cathy was talking to Pete and in passing mentioned that her friend Joey picked up Johnny and Dana on the evening of the murder. Joey apparently told Cathy that he was driving his car, unknown type vehicle, dark in color, in East Quincy.

Since we've got folks looking through yearbooks.. How old would this guy have to be to have a driver's license? 16? 17? It might be worth looking in the Quincy HS '81 yearbook for a 'Joey' of that age. Maybe he's still around? He could be less reluctant to talk now, since there's a confessed killer already..
Ausgirl

Postby dmac » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:11 pm

The closest we have to the 81 yb is 80, and the names of those IN THE BOOK (many I wanted to find aren't, including the Sharps) are already transcribed here. Of course there's no Joeys, so Joe or Joseph or any other form is going to add a lot of people that aren't the right guy. For Joey to have a license (I think the age in CA in 81 was still 16), he would have had to be at least 15 in the 80 yb, which would place him in at least the 9th grade (if he wasn't "held back") in the 80 yb.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Ausgirl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

Would Quincy HS have copies of the '81 year book, or was there not one made?
Ausgirl

Postby Ausgirl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:02 am

Then maybe - could somebody local go to the school, request copies, and scan 'em?
Ausgirl

Postby JRB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Just looked through my copy of the 81 yearbook. Only "Joey" listed was a Joe C. in the class of '83. Would've been a sophomore in '81. Probably old enough to drive. Is this info still relevant? I could scan and email to someone...
JRB

Postby dmac » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 pm

It's Joey Carvalho.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby JRB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

That's right. (I wasn't sure if last names were appropriate here)
JRB

Postby Queenemily » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 pm

So Is this believed to be true? He dropped them off at the entrance to Keddie? Or just a theory? This is interesting,..
Queenemily

Postby dmac » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 am

Nope, it's not considered remotely reliable. As other documents indicate, Joey Carvalho and Dave Eisenman were in a car and encountered Dana and Johnny a few times over the evening of April 11. The boys asked for a ride to Keddie but were refused over a lack of fuel. That info spread like wildfire, and developed into many different BS stories as a result. Many people claimed Joey said many things, but Joey's veracity has never had known cause to be questioned. The same cannot be said for a multitude of rumors which surround Joey's and Dave's account.

810411-????z According to Cathy Scalf W/F, 14 years old, her friend Joey, last name unk [Carvalho?], picked up Johnny and Dana the evening of April 11. Joey said he was driving his car in E Quincy & picked up Johnny and Dana, hitchhiking, and let them off at the entrance to Keddie. When he found out about the murders, he was afraid that the police would somehow implicate him, which is why he never contacted PCSO. (1en) <Tolen to unk PCSO>

810411-????z Carl Selby said that Pete Tolen had learned from his daughter Kathy [Cathline Campbell Scalf] that a 17-year-old boy had picked up Johnny and Dana, unknown where, and took them to Keddie the night they were murdered. Very sketchy info is that the 17-year-old, only known by the last name of Joy or Joey [Joey Carvalho?], had either seen a fight between Johnny and Dana and two Indian males from the Greenville area or had been told about it. The Indian guys had supposedly said if they did not get what they wanted, they would kill Johnny and his family. (1ef) <Selby to PCSO ???>

810422-1215z Erin Weiss interviewed at QHS. Related overhearing Joey Carvalho discussing Bo and 'Jesse'. (1dx) <E Weiss to Leonard/Marinovich>

810514-0900z A/S Shanks tells unk PCSO to contact Pete Tolen re: if Pete had any knowledge of Johnny and Dana (in relation to the 187s). Pete said it was queer that I ask him about them because he has a granddaughter named Cathy Scalf W/F, 14 years old. Cathy mentioned her friend Joey, last name unk [Carvalho?], picked up Johnny and Dana the evening of April 11. Joey said he was driving his car in E Quincy & picked up Johnny and Dana, hitchhiking, and let them off at the entrance to Keddie. When he found out about the murders, he was afraid that the police would somehow implicate him, which is why he never contacted PCSO. (1en) <Tolen to unk PCSO>
    810421-????z Erin Weiss did her homework on the bleachers during PE and overheard Joey Carvalho talking to an unidentified student. Joey said 'Jesse' and Bo were involved in the murders. It was insinuated in the conversation that it was strange that 'Jesse' was in the arcade on the Saturday afternoon of the murders. One of the young boys in the bedroom woke up and saw the murder. The boy was hypnotized and gave a statement re: Bo and Jesse. Erin could not identify Bo and Jesse and could offer no further info re: the conversation except that Tina had been sighted in Belden.. (1dx) <E Weiss to Leonard/Marinovich>

EISENMAN, DAVID Confirmed Carvalho didn't take John & Dana to Keddie, he and Carvalho saw them hitchhiking at Exxon <STOY>

etc., etc.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie files