Western Drought

Western Drought

Postby dmac » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Here's a couple photos I took around 2011, matched up with photos taken just feet away in the spring of 2014, before the impact of this last very dry summer. I can't imagine how bad it is now.
You must be a member of the Keddie Forum with 15 approved posts to view the files attached to this post.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: Western Drought

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 pm

Pretty bad Dmac, the water at Lake Oroville is so low. I am surprised the houseboats aren't hitting bottom
Magnum PI

Re: Western Drought

Postby dmac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 pm

When I started this thread a couple years ago, I was reading up on not only the drought but the sorely lacking infrastructure problems that could arise when- and if- the drought broke.

It has broken, and the infrastructure is breaking as predicted. If Oroville Dam fails, which could very easily happen, it will be a man-made disaster of unmatched proportion. The spillway problems aren't the main issue, but the lies surrounding them are already festering. The critical issue is the ORIGINAL DESIGN. The main spillway should have been placed much further downstream from the actual dam, because the failure of the spillway now threatens to erode both the emergency spillway and the dam itself.

The emergency spillway is a fucking pathetic joke on the victims- err, taxpayers- downstream. The dam was finished around 68 (not the "early 60s", as one 'expert' claims), and the woefully inadequate design of the emergency spillway is being tested for the first time NOW. IN A REAL EMERGENCY. The ES is a concrete wall built atop unfortified ground. Supposedly of adequate strength to allow 450,000 cubic ft/sec, erosion that will result in certain failure of the ES was happening a couple days ago with the release of a mere 12,600 c ft/s!

While Wall Street was defrauding the govt and raping nearly all of America (other than the politicians and the uber-wealthy), the 'recovery' plan to rebuild America only included bolstering the gutted banks along Wall Street. It did not include putting Americans back to work, much less spending the taxpayers' dollars having us US WORKERS rebuild decades of neglected infrastructure. It's been going on for DECADES. While the supposed 'middle class' is annihilated by the corporatocracy, our roads, bridges, cities, dams, all erode and fail.

Read this article, but also hit the link to the LA Times article/graphics.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... oville-dam
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
Princess (Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Return to other sites & off-topic threads