Recent Passings- Dan Dorris, Jackie Holbert

keeping this forum safe and positive

Recent Passings- Dan Dorris, Jackie Holbert

Postby dmac » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 pm

I heard in the Big Chat this last Sunday that Dan Dorris, Dana's foster dad when the murders occurred, recently died. I just verified that he actually passed in October of 2013, which was shortly after the last time we spoke with him. Dan and his wife, Pat, were two of the genuinely good people I've come across in a case that has uncovered so much human refuse. The Dorrises were and are noteworthy as some of the few truly good people in this ugly case.

I've found notes taken concurrent to the recent conversations with Dan, and will put it in a post very soon, as it's very enlightening. If I can find the obit on his wife, or one for him, I'll post it here. Don was a good guy, and I know he was in ill health in 13, but it's sad to lose him. He wanted so badly for the case to be truly solved, and have some tiny bit of closure over Dana's senseless murder.

Also, in January 2015, Sue's sister, Jackie, died. An interview featuring her is in Josh's vids. Jackie's the one who took Sue and the kids in for a while before Sue moved to Plumas, then took in Sheila during her pregnancy, and then later took in Sheila, Rick, and Greg until they could all be placed with one foster family.

Here is a very warm and loving obit for Pat Dorris, from 1999. It also gives great insight into the Dorrises' backgrounds as kids (and with kids), as well as their history as foster parents.

Patricia Rose McKenney Dorris

Patricia "Pat" Dorris died in Quincy, California on June 6, 1999. Born in San Francisco April 11, 1934, Pat lived for a short time in Tonapah, Nev., before moving to Alturas in 1936, with her parents, Dr. and Mrs. J. Paul McKenney. A brother, John, was born in Alturas to complete her immediate family.

She attended local schools, graduating with the MUHS Class of 1953 as salutatorian and a life member of the California Scholarship Federation. She served three terms as Treasurer for the MUHS Student Body and was Worthy Ad visor to the International Order of Rainbow Girls during her teen years. She earned her AA degree from Colorado Women's College in 1955. She attended the University of California, Santa Barbara, and graduated from the University of California, Davis in 1961.

A life-long love and devotion to children began at age 16, as Recreation Director for children's summer activities at the Memorial Park in Alturas. Following her marriage in 1956 to Dan Dorris, she helped with Little League activities and served as a Girl Scout leader. She taught one year as a long-term substitute at South Fork Elementary School, in Likely.

Pat left Alturas, in 1958, to help her husband obtain a college degree and a teaching credential. They lived for short periods in Grass Valley and Fall River Mills. During the ten year absence, her family grew by two children, Nancy and Jerry. Dan taught two years in Alturas, while Pat was active in PTA and, again, as a Girl Scout leader. The family moved to Quincy, California in 1971, where Pat lived until her death. In Quincy, a third child, Aimee, was born to complete her family.

During the summer of 1967, while living in Fall River Mills, Pat was active in the formation of the Blue Lake Camp for Handicapped and remained active in the Camp activities until 1975 when distance and other duties forced her to stop. She regarded her work with the camp at Blue Lake as the most important single project in which she was involved. Shortly before leaving Alturas, she was asked to become a foster-mother for two children. She accepted and the two accompanied her family to Quincy. This led to accepting foster children from the Plumas County Probation Department and, in 1973, to the formation of the Plumas County Receiving Home.

In 1981, Pat and a partner, Roddy Mac, opened Environ mental Alternatives Group Home for Boys. Over the years, this organization has grown to 11 group homes and over 200 active foster family homes providing guidance and direction to court-placed children from Central California to the Oregon border. Ill-health forced her to curtail direct activities as a foster-parent in 1994. She switched to the administrative level of the organization in the payroll department and filling in as a group home emergency administrator when needed until shortly before her death. It is estimated that during her 23 years as a foster parent, she gave direct care and guidance to over 400 youngsters.

She is survived by Dan, her husband of almost 43 years; two daughters, Nancy Jane Petak, Lewisville, TX, and Aimee Dorris, Chico, CA, and one son, Jerome Dorris of Quincy; four grandchildren, Andrew and Rachel Petak, Lewisville, TX and Amanda and Christopher Dorris, Quincy, and a niece and nephew, Elizabeth Frost and Philip McKenney, both of Livermore. She was proceeded in death by her parents, Dr. and Mrs. J. Paul McKenney and her brother, John McKenney.

At her request, no service was held. A Celebration of Pat's life was held at Gansner Park in Quincy on June 13.

Donations in Pat's name may be made to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the Modoc County Historical Society, the Modoc Cattlewomen's Memorial Scholarship or a worthy organization of choice.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to chat, guidelines, troubleshooting, & FAQs