CASE SYNOPSIS online

important threads and features, particularly for newbies

CASE SYNOPSIS online

Postby dmac » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:25 pm

hi, all-

I've finally put online something I've had on various burners for months: an in-depth summary which details many of the important facets of the case. I'm writing new stuff, as well as adapting older pieces, in order to build a comprehensive storyline / narrative. The aim is to have one article which serves as a case introduction good for all levels of familiarity, describing many of the angles and layers of this mess, and laying out how (and why) the case was screwed.

I've got a short blurb up already, briefly explaining the Sharps move to Plumas, a breakdown of the family, some of Sue's background, and the discovery of the murders. I'm following a rough outline in order to tell the Big Picture, including histories of the killers and other suspects; histories of LE and other Plumas bigwigs, and their ties to each other and ties to killers; a breakdown of the crime scene and investigation; the fake interviews Crimley did; Bo and Marty being allowed to join the circus; Loon and Dee and Tony skating; etc.

All of these planks need to join together seamlessly enough for it to make sense as a whole, which will be the most difficult part for me to achieve. I hope to have the majority of it done in the next couple days (if time allows), but as I add chunks and chapters, I'd like y'all to skim over it and point out errors, critique it, and/or suggest improvements.

Here's the link to the new section of the main site:

http://keddie28.com/synopsis.html

thanks-
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post (total 2):
dntblvu (Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:36 pm) • kmik (Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:13 am)
dmac
Site Admin

Re: CASE SYNOPSIS online

Postby dmac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:02 pm

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley"

I thought I could dedicate hours to writing the synopsis this past week, but life got in the way. As a result, I've had a few hours today to write a several more paragraphs. It's not an easy task, having to read through several documents to verify facts in just one sentence! Pain in da ass!

As I go along, I realize that each chapter will probably have to be redone to fit the next chunk. The outline I drafted doesn't account for several things, and I realize it's a much bigger project. For instance, part of the outline reads:

Sharps move to Plumas/Keddie
    Discovery of Murders
    prelim investigation CS
    bo/marty interviews
    Blow town

Today I undertook writing up the third point, and quickly noticed that properly detailing the early investigation and crime scene means breaking it down into several areas: Sequential arrival of LE and their supposed containment and investigation (done?); Positions of bodies (done?); The actual crime scene; Binding and wounds on bodies (autopsy); Obvious elements of staging; Arrival of DOJ to control and misdirect; etc. All of these topics need to be broached before reviewing the Crimley interviews, so the reader immediately and better understands the fallacy that is the BS interviews with Marty and Bo.

Boy, I hate writing, particularly when it means having to spend hours re-verifying several facts per sentence!

The second chunk is now online. Again, please report errors or make suggestions.
reach me at

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
kmik (Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Tue May 12, 2015 9:30 pm

I've added a few hundred words to the Synopsis. I'd like some feedback- it's already nearing 2000 words and the bodies have barely been discovered. At this rate, the finished version aims to be 15,000 to 20,000 words!

I want this outline to be thorough and transparent, yet respectful to the victims, and to go wider than Bo, Mary, and Marilyn as the only suspects / theories. Am I making it too long-winded and needlessly detailed? This is supposed to be like CliffsNotes version, not War and Peace itself.

Thoughts?
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby kmik » Wed May 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Dmac, I think the case synopsis is great. It is not too long winded either because most of the people who read it will probably be new to the forum and might not know a lot about the case. It is obvious that a lot of hard work went into this!

These users thanked the author kmik for the post:
dmac (Tue May 19, 2015 11:55 am)
kmik

Postby Always Searching » Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 am

Dmac, you have done an excellent job with the synopsis! It is wonderful to have so much information in one place, and is perfect for those of us who are new to get our feet wet. Thank you!!
Always Searching

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 am

The synopsis is very good-it allows people new to the case to get the big picture without getting too bogged down in the tinier, more minute details, which they can review in depth on the forum once they're ready to read more.
Chichibcc

Postby Queenemily » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm

From what I can see of the synopsis it is excellent. I can't get it to scroll down, however. I can only read the first part of the background. I feel like I am not a newbie but certainly not as knowledgable as most of the posters here. Im my opinion it was very clear and well written. I can't wait to read the rest, even though I know a lot about it already, so that says a lot I think! Thanks for doing this. It will definitely help anyone new to the site.

These users thanked the author Queenemily for the post:
dmac (Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:59 pm)
Queenemily

Postby sparkplug » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:14 am

FYI, like Queen mentioned, you can't scroll down if using an iPhone or iPad. But, you can on a Mac. I'm not sure about a windows based computer/tablet or other type of smart phone.

I hate to see your hard work getting limited views.
sparkplug

Return to for newbies