A New Catastrophe

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

A New Catastrophe

Postby dmac » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Three years back, I made an ill-fated attempt to back up all my Keddie research and work. After painstakingly gathering all the data stored between hard drives, I was rebooting the computer in order to burn the files onto DVDs when the computer fried and I lost everything. It destroyed the computer and both hard drives.

Since that time, I've always managed to somehow maintain multiple redundancies of most of the Keddie data, either on back-up drives, cloud storage, etc. For reasons I can't go into, I decided to finally aggregate all my data and burn it off onto disks so that I have a physical backup of everything on-hand.

When I first attempted to archive all that data in late 2012, all my Keddie research and work would fit on one DVD. 4.35 gigabytes of info on the Keddie case is one helluva lot, in all honesty. Just barely 3 years later, I burned off SIX DVDs worth of data. That's over 26GBs worth! This includes my research, crime scene photo & document scans, tons of other related photos, audio and video, all the graphics and a backup of the site, etc. Less than one disk is video/audio, so that should give you a clue as to the amount of info I've found and built up over the last three years.

I've burned maybe 20 disks in the entire time I've had this replacement computer. I've used the same DVD player maybe 50 times in total. Last night, I burned off the final disk of Keddie data. Today, the DVD player died.

Even with the data backed up, I'm screwed.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: A New Catastrophe

Postby Shellsbells » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 pm

That really sucks!! I know you have spent many years on this case. I remember being on the old forum, and reading all the stuff you all have done.
Shellsbells

Re: A New Catastrophe

Postby dmac » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm quite happy the drive died AFTER burning off my only full and current data set. It could have died when I tried to burn the first disk! So, I burned it all off but can not access any of it on my machine! O the irony.

I'm also quite happy for you to read this.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie facts