CHANGES TO FORUM ACCESS

keeping this forum safe and positive

CHANGES TO FORUM ACCESS

Postby dmac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 pm

In order to combat several issues with access to sensitive information on the forum, There will be a new membership tier/group for the forum, tentatively called "Full Members". This will allow further control concerning access to certain information and areas of the forum, particularly with regards to who can see what.

Currently, there are three groups:
GUESTS: (don't have to sign in; limited access)
NEW MEMBERS: (must sign in to have access to most sections of forum)
REGISTERED MEMBERS: (after 15 valid posts, must sign in to have access to all of forum)

To address many sore points brought up over the years, another tier of forum membership will be created, which will be something like this:

GUESTS: (don't have to sign in; can see very few , non-sensitive posts and threads)
NEW MEMBERS: (must sign in to have access to most limited threads on forum)
REGISTERED MEMBERS: (must sign in to have access to most areas of forum after 10 valid posts)
FULL MEMBERS: (must sign in to have access to all areas of forum, including sensitive info and all images; must be manually approved and added to this group) This will be grandfathered in to most "registered members".

I've currently locked down almost all sections of the forum (except Facts & Rules) so members must log in to see them. As I move threads and sections of the forum around to accommodate the new system, guests will again see more threads/posts without having to log in as members. If you are a member, you'll have to start logging in to see most of the forum.

This isn't meant to be a pain in the ass to members, but I feel it is a necessary security step. Please feel free to comment with suggestions, concerns, etc.

I also expect a few will struggle to log into accounts as they've forgotten passwords. Visit this page to get a new password automatically sent to you; if you no longer have access to the email address used to sign up or have other issues, email me.

These measures are not meant to penalize members or guests, but I think its generally agreed that the case is far enough along that much of the speculation should be respectful to the victims as well as many whose names are mentioned in documents simply due to being witnesses or just "being in Plumas". If it makes researching the case more difficult without having an account, so be it: I have not seen one decent write-up of the case, much less magazine farticle, despite the voluminous info found on this forum and the access previously allowed to visitors.

This new measure is a continuation of removing sensitive/redundant/'dead link' images from the site. As the case becomes better known, more sleazeballs are stealing basic information and photos from this site to make their stupid regurgitations of the lies of the past. They could learn more about the case and write decent synopses, but most all, so far, seem only interested in ghost stories and gore.

This site remains transparent if you want to research the case, but I'm forced to take more extreme measures to block assholes from having wholesale access to our discussions, information, deductions, arguments, etc.

UPDATE 1/27 4pm PT
As you can see with the SPEC section, I'm systematically going through each thread/section to quickly determine if it should be made public for visitors, or members-only. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm also pruning the forum in preparation for an upgrade to the new version of phpBB. I may as kill two birds with one stone, as both are time-consuming endeavors. It is going to be a slow process, done as I find time, so I would expect the majority of posts to be unavailable to guests for a few weeks.

IMPORTANT: Since I put most threads as "hidden" for members only, there was an immediate spike in membership enrollments. I'm not interested in people who want to sign up just to read a few posts and move on, never to visit the site or case again. Therefore, I've turned off enrollment for the time being. When I'm comfortable with the balance of info available for guests, I'll again allow new enrollment.

Did someone mention this is supposed to be my vacation from the site/case?!

Sections where threads/posts are now available for all to read:

keddie files
just speculatin'

All of Forum Facts & Rules
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post (total 4):
Cheshire (Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:26 pm) • joe_mcplumber (Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:16 pm) • bbragg (Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 pm) • Mamma_C (Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:25 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Re: CHANGES TO FORUM ACCESS

Postby dmac » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:55 pm

I've long been concerned that most 'new members' join solely in the hopes of finding gore photos and posts. That was confirmed when, a couple months back, I hid most graphic posts and photos from guests.

My next move, taken a couple weeks ago, is a godsend.

For a member to now join the forum, they must answer a couple questions. The fact about 15% of potential new members respond to the questions whatsoever lines up with empirical evidence that 85% of newbies never get involved. They want gory stories and photos, or they want to post-and-run, but they certainly have no interest in the case or justice.

Perhaps the best thing I've ever done for the case is killing access to trolls and gorehounds. My withdrawal from answering Qs on the forum is also a huge win. If the forum dies, so be it, as my work on the forum has been a counter-productive waste of my time. Perhaps others will feel a freedom from my supposed weight, where I simply ask for spec to be backed up by BASIC FACTS.

Unfortunately, the Keddie murders continue to climb the ladders of trashy "TOP UNSOLVED" threads on the internet. Traffic to the site has jumped significantly in recent weeks. Considering how most of our info and photos have been hidden from forum 'guests', I consider my recent security changes a massive success. To hell with trolls and gawkers, let's get back to the case.

What troubles me most is intentional misconceptions (lies) continue. For instance, anyone asking for clear motive is a moron. Anyone claiming this forum knows the solution is a knob. Anyone claiming this was a mob hit is a clueless sack of godless worms.

I've learned the Keddie case is not about facts, it's about a public idiocy opinion popularity contest on the winds of the trashier aspects of the internet. It has nothing to do with facts but shoddy contrivances. Public perception is about "Top 10 Most Horrid" lists rather than considering ample and contrary evidence.

Subtly stated, I've learned that being transparent about the case has proved a huge disservice to the victims and to the case in whole.

We choose not to let the Keddie murders be used and abused as fodder for assholes
reach me at

These users thanked the author dmac for the post (total 2):
bbragg (Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:00 pm) • 7Scarlet (Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:01 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Shellsbells » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 pm

I can understand your concern with those that are only wanting to see the gore photos. I was in a group that discussed a murder case, and we were bombarded with questions like, "Can I see the autopsy photos?" or "Where are the crime scene photos?" We did not publish any of those type of photos, so when these types figured out we werent going to show that, they moved on.

I can assure you I am not here to check out the gore. I haven't found the questions for new members, but I am willing to answer them.

I belonged to forum a few years ago. I originally found the case when The Strangers came out. I also was intrigued the movie was "based" on a true story, and had heard it was about this murder. After reading an interview by the person who wrote the movie, and know that the movie is not based off this murder, but I was hooked by then. I have both docs, but I can see that some of the info on the docs is really old news. I haven't posted at all because Im reading posts and catching myself up. Ive been on this forum and another one just reading a lot.

I feel for the victims, live and dead, and wish something would come to light.
Shellsbells

Postby mercy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:59 am

I signed up quite a while ago but life got busy and I haven't been able to participate like I originally intended to. I'd be more than happy to answer questions or verify my membership in some way if you need.
mercy

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:23 am

The questions for new members are sent via email before their accounts are ever approved. both your accounts are already approved, as you are able to log in and post.

Over the past couple days, the site has had over 40,000 hits and 25 new requests for membership. Only five answered the questions they were mailed. This method is working very well.
reach me at

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
lynabus (Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby phoebe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 am

40,000 hits? Where are they all coming from? Perhaps, I guess because of the new article in the Plumas News? Still that seems a LOT.

I did notice the other day whilst I was online that there were 3 bots/spiders here at the same time. I believe I'm right in saying that an influx of bots/spiders means new external links?
phoebe

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:43 am

The site simply keeps getting more and more traffic. This first quarter of the year is in line with the typical growth in visits, which is about 20%. The case is now making alot of Top Ten lists, such as "the 5 worst unsolved murders", "Top 10 Cold Cases", etc. Other sites like reddit can drive traffic as well.

With the news article dropping, there's been a huge uptick, plus I sent out a mail blast to all members. Other sites are discussing the news, which drives traffic here, too.

For comparison, in 3.5 years Josh's site received just under 2,000,000 hits. This site is set to have 500,000 hits in the last three months.

Robots and spiders only work their way through all the posts on the forum, looking for additions and changes. They are almost ALWAYS scanning the forum. All they do is help create valid, updated links and results on search engines.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby phoebe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:51 am

Wow, I had no idea that such a relatively small forum dealing with a relatively unknown topic would get so many hits. It can only be a good thing though, the more public awareness the more likely it will be solved and sooner.
phoebe

Postby Shellsbells » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm

I just read the article from Plumas county Im really excited about it all. You all that have been doing this from a while, and got the information out, like Dmac, have done an awesome job with all this. Thank you all for all the hard work you've done!
Shellsbells

Postby dmac » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:40 pm

You think that's rough? In December of 2014, in just one day we received 400,000 hits. I think that's when IO9 came out with Keddie in some 'top ten unsolved mysteries' jumble list. At least they didn't release it at Halloween, or traffic probably would have crashed the site.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby lynabus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:57 pm

I know for a fact that I was one of the few new members that answered the questions before becoming a new member. I was impressed with the fact that this forum doesn't allow trolls and all the gore seekers. This is the best set-up I have seen in a forum. Thanks. This was a family and a friend murdered and children left to deal with the aftermath of a terrible tragedy.

These users thanked the author lynabus for the post:
Pandora (Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 am)
lynabus

Postby bbragg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:13 pm

I like this new way,i have read this site every night since I have been a member,dmac you have done such a good job .I am not here to do anything but see justice for this family.i know how they feel and I can't weight until the day it is solved.i go to bed thinking what could have happened to these 4 people.who could have done such a thing.and 3 of them being children.i know when this happened in my family we where afraid to even play outside.we locked all the doors and nailed the windows down.i was just a child and it just isn't right that children have to be so afraid.i still think about it almost every day so I know how the ones left behind feel.they will never get over looseing their family,but if this is solved they may have some releave.i will never have.so may god bless you for all the hard work you have done .thanks for the familys left here to wonder and be afraid for the rest of their lifes.

These users thanked the author bbragg for the post:
dmac (Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:39 am)
bbragg

Postby Russo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:48 am

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Being a new member I answered the questions, etc.. Understood the qualifying of members, but only thought of spammers. Never thought of the "gore" people... I do remember the forums of the past turning into name calling, false info, mostly just fighting, which is why I never got involved. This system seems to be great! Well done dmac. Every time I get on here I seem to get stuck down some rabbit hole for a couple hours. Really looking forward to justice being served for the victims & families.
Russo

Postby GloomasLake » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 pm

I guess I'm one of the few that answered the questions. I didn't find this forum because of a top ten list. I live in Plumas Lake, some work had to be done on my house(a long stupid story) I needed peace and quiet and checked into a hotel for a night. I turned on the TV, on the news a story about the discovery of the hammer and I realized that I had heard about this case before, I figured it was on Dateline or something so I did a YouTube search and found two videos. Right away I knew the videos I was watching were not from television and I tried to follow it, but the quality was horrible. I kept falling asleep and waking up only to watch a scene I had already seen. After that I came here. I imagine the discovery of the hammer brought some traffic. This case is so complicated that I find myself hesitating when I post. Other members know this case so well and I'm still learning so I appreciate everyone's patience. This is my 15th post!
GloomasLake

Postby lolafiona » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:41 am

I understand the changes in viewing certain material on this site. However I REALLY wanted to see the computer work you did, again, of the layout inside cabin 28. I remember how impressed I was with it when I saw it before I ever thought of joining. The case already had been one I checked on as time allowed, now allows a bit more.
My sons came home as newborns with the bassinet in the living room, tv on. Kitchen had on a radio. Most times both at once. They slept/sleep through damn near anything. This has been both a good and bad thing. I am often asked to set my alarm for them too in case they sleep through theirs.
But if I remember the layout and few pictures I saw correctly? If we had lived there they WOULD HAVE WOKEN UP. Someone obviously had time to throw a knife at the walls repeatedly. It is a annoying sound. I throw knives. I can't do it if they are around and I don't throw them into walls.
Also am looking for a picture that sticks in my mind. It is a shot in the living room. Blood everywhere, but in the middle of it a white knee high sock with a red stripe. Pristine white. I believe there was blood even under the sock. Definitely splatter all around it. I am sure the answer to where it came from is here, somewhere. And from the small amount of reading I have done tonight, uh morning now, instead of working on my puppies inside exercise pen to keep it sliding across my hardwood floor? I haven't gotten shit done. And THAT is what I came home to after only 2 hours hunting down a second pen to attach to first, things that I hope in the collection I grabbed will work.
So now I will head to "Introductions" post there and hopefully have time to try one before the youngest gets up for work and wakes up the "gang" and I can't get shit done. Just probably clean up more because once I start on this case it is hard to stop.
;-)
lolafiona

Postby Boudreaux » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Dmac, I'm a new member; heard about the case on podcasts and wanted to know more. I see you've put a lot of thought and work into membership, and with the talk about people who join but never post, I thought I'd explain. I'm very new to this case, there's an ASTONISHING amount of information and research here, and I haven't posted anything (until now) because I'm still reading, reading, reading, and trying to understand it.

Thanks for letting me in to your community! I'm finding it fascinating so far. The podcasts I heard didn't mention Dee Lake, and there are obviously some significant questions about him, so I've got a lot more reading to do there. I'm also really curious about the pack of Camels apparently left by one of the killers. The amount of research and thought that the users here have put into the case is amazing. I've never seen a website like this! Thanks! --Boudreaux (believe it or not, that's a very common last name back in my homeland, south Louisiana.)

These users thanked the author Boudreaux for the post:
budrfligh (Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:10 pm)
Boudreaux

Return to chat, guidelines, troubleshooting, & FAQs