my very emotional perspective...

important threads and features, particularly for newbies

my very emotional perspective...

Postby miniondi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 am

I have spent the last couple days reading much of what is posted here and I must commend everyone for the time, effort, energy and emotion they have put into solving this case.
My post here will mostly deal with emotion, since I am no sleuth.
I was thinking about all the people surrounding the victims earlier and was struck by how much I dislike almost every one of them.
They all have plenty to say about Sue and how she lived her life or her weirdness or how she raised her kids, but everyone seemed to have benefited by this poor family in some way.
Yes, she was a single mom of 5 who left an abusive relationship and moved out to a remote area. Yes she had a somewhat lax perspective on child rearing, leaving Sheila to get pregnant, Johnny to smoke pot at age 15 and Tina to run around outside and be victimized by (what I consider) multiple adults. To me it was as if this family of 6 was mercilessly plopped down in the middle of a lion's den. There were plenty of judgmental eyes but also a virtual cornucopia of victimizers to: knock up a very young Sheila, take her baby, sell weed (and do God-knows-what) to John, molest Tina, and use Sue as some kind of revolving door for whatever.
I wish we lived in a world where a community saw a young, single mom in this situation and gathered around in support and affirmation to help her and her kids. Instead they saw the family, gauged what they could get out of each one of them, drugs, dates, sexual gratification etc, and pounced. No one was horrified enough to even make an effort to solve it. It's as if the rest of the community including the Law and friends and neighbors said "Meh, look at them, who WOULDN'T victimize them" Even that Seabolt lady in her interview was all "I wouldn't let my kids go there." like "that's the bad house. My house is safe, no one would dare come murder us. We're respectable." If this makes any sense to anyone, this is what makes me very very sad about these murders.

These users thanked the author miniondi for the post (total 5):
Ausgirl (Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 am) • Shellsbells (Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 pm) • aeffects (Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:17 pm) • lynabus (Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm) • joe_mcplumber (Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:40 am)
miniondi

Re: my very emotional perspective...

Postby joe_mcplumber » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 am

Well it wasn't quite like that but i just wanted you to know, someone appreciates the empathy.

Someone also nearly split his gut laughing, at your characterization of Mrs Seabolt.

But don't forget the interviews in the documentary were years after the fact, when people felt more removed, and/or recovered, from the events, and after the rumor mill had the chance to thoroughly mangle things.

These users thanked the author joe_mcplumber for the post (total 3):
Mamma_C (Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:13 am) • Shellsbells (Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:39 pm) • lynabus (Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm)
joe_mcplumber

Re: my very emotional perspective...

Postby miniondi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Sorry Joe. I was mostly speaking about their immediate surroundings i.e. those who victimized them. I'm glad to know those interviews came way after the fact. They left a LOT to be desired. Even Sheila seemed to not even know her siblings very well. I think even if this case isn't solved, it serves to teach us something. I just really wish things had been different for that family.

These users thanked the author miniondi for the post (total 2):
LanternLane (Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 pm) • Cowgirlsunni (Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 am)
miniondi

Return to for newbies