Sue's Purse

case files, articles, etc

Sue's Purse

Postby dmac » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 pm

A while back, Josh posted a slip of paper used to note the contents of her purse:

I removed much of what's on this side of the paper, flipped it over, and highlighted what text I could find:

Much has been speculated about Sue's character, her interest in motherhood and her kids, and her lifestyle in general. Maggots like Metcalf have spewed rumors and lies about prostitution and drugs as if they were fact, while hiding behind words like 'alleged'. Some have said the house was a mess. Well, here's contrary evidence from someone in PCSD-- The very top line confirms what I've noticed throughout my time looking into the case:

Sue was "VERY NEAT AND ORDERLY"

The crime scene had clothes scattered all over it, but that was the killers' doing.

She had five kids, and the boys room was a bit messy... three young boys having a sleepover, after all. Yet she kept a clean house. The kids had chores and did them. They had clearly been doing yardwork, perhaps even that day as claims on the timeline indicate. Tina came home from watching TV at the Seabolts' to do her chores, cleaning the dishes. I've seen pictures taken at Christmas of 1980 and can attest that Sue went to great lengths to make an impressive and memorable celebration for her children.

Sue was a caring, loving mother who was doing her best to provide a healthy, loving environment for her children, and any others who strayed into her yard. Metcalf's atrocities cannot undue what others know of Sue.

And that glass with Marde's bloody print on it? That happened after Tina washed the dishes on the evening of the 11th.

PS: I'm familiar with handwriting from many PCSO and can often recognize the responsible cop with a small sample. This note was written by Don Stoy, hands down. Utterly no doubt.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: Sue's Purse, and confirmation she was tidy and organized

Postby awareness » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Amazes me how Mrs Sharp could be seen as "messy"... she lived with several young children in close quarters. Its not like she would appear on an episode of Hoarders then or now for crying out loud. Of course there will be some items out of place, its called being normal and raising children. Id like to see Victoria Metcalf's place (now and in 81) to see how museum-clean-perfect her place must have been. Someone should have sued her for libel.
awareness

Postby meankitty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Something came up in chat about the $5 in food stamps found in Sue's purse, so I thought I'd post this here. During the early 1980's my family was on food stamps. Judging by how much we got, I calculate that Sue should have had at least $300+ dollars and they came at the beginning of the month. They also came in the form of something like a coupon book with various denominations.

I'm thinking that if only $5 worth was found at the scene and no other ones were found, then the perps stole them. I have no idea if this is what happened though. For all I know, Sue could have only put the amount she needed in her purse and put the rest somewhere in the cabin.
meankitty

Postby gotbier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Or, she could have already been grocery shopping (you said they came at the beginning of the month?), and the $5 was all that was left??? Just a thought.
gotbier

Postby meankitty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 pm

If they went by the letter of a person's last name and did it county wide, it is possible she got them at the beginning of the month since our last name was close to the Sharps. I do know a woman on welfare with 2 kids would get about $600 a month, and she could collect it while collecting on a college grant. (We were only eligible for food stamps) I don't know the maximum amount Sue got on the welfare, but she had a college grant too, so I don't know if she was really hurting for food.
meankitty

Postby tinkerbell » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Ok..So how does this pertain to this case? How much or when our family got food stamps...
tinkerbell

Postby dmac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

The only relevance I can see is trying to determine whether the boys were home. The fact their stomachs were empty has always bothered me- it's a sticking point in trying to determine if they were already home and downstairs in Johnny's room when this all began.

I grew up in an Air Force family with 4 kids. Within two days of going to the commissary, the house would be empty of anything ready-to-eat. Everything else- other than cereal- needed to be prepared. Nothing left to snack on, maybe peanut butter and crackers, which we loathed.

It's incredibly relevant to know when the boys got home, of course. I don't know about the others, but I'm discussing it because of the relevance to whether the boys had come home and scavenged for food already. Had they already been home for a while when the crimes began, or were they just getting home? At that age, I wouldn't go to bed hungry if I could avoid it. We know there were burritos for supper around 5:30 or 6, and that Tina came back later to clean dishes. So, if there was no ready food left in the fridge or cupboard, it makes it far easier to see them downstairs, chilling out, when all the shit began. It goes miles in explaining the broken gun sight ramp and the single pellet. Food stamps is a terribly small detail, but it ties indirectly into one of the biggest points of how things happened. It's certainly not meant out of any disrespect, it's just grasping at any straws available to get answers. It's, unfortunately, a tactic used all too often in this case. Out of necessity.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby gotbier » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 am

tinkerbell wrote:Ok..So how does this pertain to this case? How much or when our family got food stamps...

Tink: I don't think that was the intent. It was mentioned that since only $5 worth was in your Mother's purse, maybe the perps stole the remaining, but if they were recevied at the beginning of the month, it's likely she had already gone grocery shopping.
Sorry if we said anything to offend/upset you. =-)
gotbier

Postby tinkerbell » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:37 am

No offense taken.
tinkerbell

Re: Sue's Purse

Postby dntblvu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am

Sorry I messed up posting before, might have now too, if anybody can see this. I've been reading, there's so much. I'm sure it's been talked about, but my question is, how could there not be any evidence to tie any body to the murders? If Marty left a bloody print on a glass, then what does that mean? And the talk of keddie not having money for tests is not right. If the DOJ was involved, wouldn't they have sent the evidence somewhere to be sorted through?
dntblvu

Postby lynabus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:18 pm

I am still reading posts also, so dmac would be better equipped to answer this question.
I would hope the prints are still around and weren't lost over the years. All the new technology we have nowadays, we should
have solved, so I don't know, I do know that tomorrow we learn more about a hammer found and that it's being tested.
lynabus

Postby dmac » Thu May 26, 2016 10:09 am

I noted some weeks ago that it was odd to see Sue's wallet on the corner table, while her big purse was on the floor. In the photos I just saw, her purse was actually resting on top of a pair of shoes, which makes it even more odd.

Shoes were scattered all over the house, as was clothing, but for Sue's purse to be on top of shoes, her wallet on the table, and Johnny's wallet stuffed behind the couch two feet away? Something's wrong here.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby oksooner » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 am

That is very interesting... When you say shoes/clothes scattered all over the house--was the house just messy or was it ransacked like they were looking for something?
oksooner

Postby dmac » Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 pm

One thing I can say is the front room was a disaster before LE arrived, but that's because clothes (presumably mostly laundry) were scattered all over the room. But the problem is we don't have good photos of the rest of the house before LE tainted the scene. From what they did to the boys' room closet, they're work certainly did look like ransacking.

Still, there were so many pairs of shoes in the house, it's hard to say what the hell was going on. But, still, the main thing is where the purses and wallets were. That's more than suspicious.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby oksooner » Thu May 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Yeah that is. Tends to go with the tying up of the victims
oksooner

Postby dntblvu » Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Could be they were offering to pay for drugs that were stolen? If that were the motive, and they threw his wallet because they weren't there for money. Or maybe Johnny thought that's what they wanted when he walked in.
dntblvu

Postby sparkplug » Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am

After studying this case over and over again for years, I always come to the same conclusion that drugs were involved in some way. If Dee was involved, it seems logical he had had a stake in it for himself. Helping a raged Marty and a psychopath Bo, just because he was friends with Marty, just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone can help me here? Motive for Dee to be involved in the moving of Tina's body?

As far as Johnny's wallet, it could have been searched and then discarded by being thrown. In a small confined space, it's going to hit the wall somewhere in the small cabin and then land on the floor. That may explain why it was found behind the couch. You can put a lot of hits of LSD in a wallet and it's safer than carrying them loose in your pocket and risk tripping to the moon with no return. I doubt the killers thought he had any or much money in his wallet. Are there any docs discussing the contents of his wallet and if items were missing or strewn on the floor? You could easily have thousands of dollars worth of LSD in a wallet.
sparkplug

Postby GloomasLake » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 am

This crime could be about drugs, or even money, without any of either actually being involved. IF you've ever been around people like Marty, Bo, or Mariloon, than you know that it's very plausible that if they have mental illness, use drugs or drink, that they very well could have decided that there were drugs or cash in the house when in reality there were none. They could have heard a rumor that someone in the home had drugs and believed it, who knows. That was the feeling I got when I first read about this case, perhaps these people were tortured over something they did not have.
GloomasLake

Postby dmac » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:26 am

In 28, the only missing items are Marty's hammer and "Tina's box / the tool box", which I think is a red herring. The photos of the back porch area show tools strewn around, so there may have been a tool box. Not a Tina box.

In Lyn's murder, a paper finger ring made by a QHS schoolmate was taken as a trophy, which adds yet another very personal element to her case.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby foxidoxi » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 am

Johnny may have been careless with his wallet. You need to be responsible to carry a wallet at 15.. and there was no reason for him to really even care about the wallet. he was poor no money for the wallet, didnt have a job to put money in the wallet, probably didnt even have a drivers permit/lic in the wallet. Maybe a school I.D to carry a few phone numbers and possibly pictures of chicks from school.
I raised 4 boys we didnt have a lot of money by no means when my boys were teenagers,of coarse they all had wallets but it wasnt always on their person.some times when slipping my boys a few bucks in went in the front jean pocket.. Just a thought. thank you
foxidoxi

Next

Return to keddie files