3D Crime Scene Tour

for discussion of vids related to the murders

3D Crime Scene Tour

Postby dmac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

A graphics project I've been dabbling with lately is to make a 3D crime scene map. The software I've been using, Sweet Home 3D, allows really good rendering of snapshots from the project (I'll add them to this post in a few minutes), but also has a built-in video engine. Here's the first decent test video made so far. Keep in mind, I'm using 3D models that came with the software or that I've found on the web, so many objects are similar to what was in 28 (couch, tables, etc), but by no means a match. Likewise, the bodies are similar to the positions the victims were found in, but by no means meant to be a real representation (the 3D models I'm using weren't designed to be 'lying down', which is why they appear to be 'floating').

One interesting thing to note is Johnny's and Dana's body sizes and physical development are taken into account in these images. Dana was a much larger presence: at 5'10" 140 lbs, he had 7.5" and 35 pounds over Johnny. Size-wise, they looked more like father and son than friends- until you take into account the hair and clothes. It would be easy for acquaintances to recognize them from a distance, and further proves the BS accounts of sightings are NOT cases of 'mistaken identity'.

As I have time, I will make improvements and additions. I have most of the main floor of the cabin mapped out, but I need to perfect the layout, add furnishings, and then see if I can add things important to understanding the scene (layout of blood spills on the floor, etc).

Unfortunately, there's no way to slow the action down or "pause" the action at given spots on the 'tour', so be ready to hit "pause" on the player.

<removed>

cubby.jpg
cigs.jpg
You must be a member of the Keddie Forum with 15 approved posts to view the files attached to this post.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: 3D Crime Scene Tour

Postby thumper001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Very impressive, will be a fantastic investigative tool.
thumper001

Postby justice17 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Wow. Good job on the graphics. The video gives us a better feel for
The living rooms layout, especially Entering the front door (just as Sheila did).
Justice for all
justice17

Postby dmac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Huge improvement in the vid quality. It's now in High Resolution (1080), and this time with no shadows, which caused distractions by light angles and 'floating bodies'.

<removed>

Go full-screen and make sure you bump the YT quality to HD.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:46 am

Here's the second test, with some vast improvements. It also features most of the cabin.

<removed>
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Re: 3D Crime Scene Tour (3rd draft)

Postby dmac » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:12 am

Here's the third draft, with many more pieces added, including:
► an early mock-up of the card table laying against the TV, both disturbed during the crime; ►Sue's robe, hanging from the closet- along with her glasses on the nightstand, slam-dunk proof she was asleep in bed when the killers walked in; ► a peek into the bathroom; ► a much-improved mock-up of the TV and stand; ► cut-out carpet under the TV; ►the phone in place (but no table under it yet); ► the killers' cigarettes on the couch; ► the cassette tape, Sue's purse and coffee cup added to the couch table; ► cassette/radio on the floor; etc.

<removed>
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 am

Fourth Draft, concentrating mainly on the living room for a full minute. Additions include: ► Improved card table; ► cut-out carpet at doorway; ►shoes on the floor.

<removed>

As an FYI, the Keddie28 YouTube channel is pretty popular:

68,500 video views
1,027,399 minutes watched
vids added to over 850 playlists
230+ subscribers.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby bbragg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:00 pm

what a great job you have done
bbragg

Postby dmac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:04 am

Fifth draft of the 3D Simulation tour of the crime scene is online. It's looking better each time. This 1:20 version walks through the living room and kitchen, and to the back door, which the killers left ajar.

<removed>
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Here's a link to an interactive panorama view of the living room crime scene <removed>, based off my most recent 3D mockup of the cabin. Use your mouse to navigate (left-click and drag)- use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby bbragg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:00 pm

i think dmac is right ,i think someone made them do something to the bodies.to make them think they helped in the murder.and maybe they thought they could help save them after the murder's left.rick said justin put a rag on his mothers chest to try and stop the bleeding.and rick said he was out of the room ,but his sister keeps telling him he was not.i think he was in the living room and saw justin trying to stop the bleeding.maybe if everyone would stop telling them what they did or didn't see they could remember what they really saw.and has anyone told them they are not guilty of anything that happened in that cabin that night.they where just kids,if they had not done what they where told they would have died.just my thought.
bbragg

Postby Chichibcc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:36 pm

If Rick was out of the room, then why were his shoes not confiscated, like Justin's were?
Chichibcc

Postby bbragg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 am

did justin have any blood on his hands or clothes.or did any of the kids have any blood on them.if justin tried to help sue he should have had blood on him.and if any of them left the bedroom to do anything to the bodies they should have blood on them or in the room
bbragg

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:19 pm

No, I don't recall any accounts of the boys having blood on them at all. So if they were out of the room at any point, they obviously didn't touch anything related to the crime scene, or at least not anything that had blood on it.
Chichibcc

Postby dmac » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 pm

bbragg: there's no mention of blood on any surviving victims. Despite LE suspecting perp(s) may have been wounded during the murders (they asked a few hospitals for any reports of knife wounds), there is nothing to indicate they ever asked to look at Marty's, Loon's, Bo's, et. al., hands, arms, the clothes they wore, etc., to look for wounds or blood.

--back to videos/images:

Here's the latest interactive 3-D mockup <removed>, incorporating an early rendering of some of the blood stains.

Here's the same image from a different position, and done in lower light- it's believed the killings occurred with only the back bedroom light and/or bathroom light turned on. <removed>
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:28 am

Here's the latest interactive 3-D view <removed>. This time, it's from a location over Dana's body, to better highlight the locations of many things.

Note the blood stains, including the arcing spray under Dana's legs. Only two victims had wounds that would cause such forceful spray, and I believe only Sue was alive when stabbed in the throat, so do the math on that. Along with all the layers of blood on BOTH SIDES of the cushion (not yet drawn on the image) and multiple layers of stains UNDER the cushion (and around the room), this is pretty conclusive proof the area near where Dana's head is was the main 'staging ground' for systematic attacks on the victims, one-by-one. The multiple bleed-out spots show bodies were moved 'out of the way' until the final staging.

EVERY BODY WAS STAGED in a fabricated position. In Sue's case, it was to make a statement (which was undone by whomever rolled her onto her side hours later when she was in full rigor, then covered her with the sheet and blanket). With the rest, it was to mislead and confuse, which is shamefully weak considering Sue's initial posing.

Also note how Dana is BARELY on the corner of the cushion. When his head was posthumously bludgeoned/crushed, his blood only spilled on that weighted down, remote corner, spilling over in a dark sludge on the carpet below.

The black dot on the carpet between Dana and John is the approximate location of the pellet fired from the rifle. The black object on the floor near Sue's head is the exact location of the site from the tip of the barrel, which broke off during the beatings.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Re: 3D Crime Scene Tour (6th Draft)

Postby dmac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Looks like I forgot to post the 6th draft of the 3-D walk-through. Again, significant improvements over the last.

<removed>

The first several drafts are pathetic by comparison, as this version will be when compared to the next ones.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:12 am

Here's another version of the last Pano Shot, from the same POV, but with the bodies and cushion removed to better understand the blood patterns, on top of which the bodies were staged.

<removed>
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 am

from the POV shown above (taken directly over and between where John and Dana were posed), it seems the area of abuse to the victims, and bleed-out spots, are in a very concise and uniform arc. Systematic. Kill zone, drag them elsewhere, then stage them as if it was something entirely different.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Billyalshef » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Awesome work on the 3d !
Billyalshef

Next

Return to videos