TV photo

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

TV photo

Postby dmac » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:00 am

Here's a cleaned up version of the shot of the TV stand area in the living room, just posted on Facebook. Evidently taken on the 12th, the residue seen on and around the TV set is fingerprint powder. Note what may be blood droplets on the card table, folded and resting against the SW wall of the living room:

(The original photo from which the above image is taken was a faded, aged, water-damaged black and white print. Forgive the quality)

The orientation of the TV (not facing the couch, but towards the white chair atop the trunk which was against the wall common to the boys' bedroom) is odd, but matches what is shown in the cabin layout drawn by LE. Note the tight space between the TV and wall, with the card table undisturbed, and the tv power cord hanging midair between the tv and wall outlet. This strongly suggests no struggling immediately nearby (discounting thoughts that the wall in this area was stabbed).

Among the magazines under the TV is the Feb 24 1981 edition of Family Circle:

dmac
Site Admin

Postby tinkerbell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:25 am

dmac
there is another tv stand if you look at the layout (if you are sitting on the couch) it is across the room to the right. That is where the TV was. Also this is verified by the 2 walls and the one over by the boys only has one wall.
tinkerbell

Postby dmac » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 am

From what I see in the LE floorplan, this is the only tv stand- this is the one you're talking about. The wall behind it (with the card table leaning against it) is the SW exterior wall. To the right in the photo would be the window which looked out on the cabins towards the lodge, then the couch (against the perpendicular common wall dividing the kitchen and LR). You can see the wooden floor in the photo, as detailed in the LE version. My guess is the TV stand was usually pointed more or less faced the couch, but in this photo and the drawing, the TV is directly facing the white chair.

In this version, the TV stand in the photo is circled in blue, with the arrow indicating where the TV pointed and where the photo was taken from:

The other item mislabeled as a tv stand in the LE drawing was actually another tv tray, with the bird cage on it, and it was against the chair/trunk.

I think we're on the same page, but the LE drawing has the bird cage tv tray mislabeled as a tv stand.
dmac
Site Admin

Postby tinkerbell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 am

yes we are on the same page lol..but i am almost positive it did face more towards the couch...maybe it was moved...with all of us kids i can not see it facing the white chair...but who knows...not a big deal to me lol
tinkerbell

Postby dmac » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:28 am

It may have significance. If everybody was watching Love Boat that night, why is it no longer facing the couch? Those tv stands are usually on wheels, so it would make more sense for it to be on the exposed wood floor for ease of movement. The LE guy who drew it went out of his way to show the front portion was on carpet and the back on wood. And it's still clearly plugged into the wall.

It got moved, but who did it and when?

The drawing is dated the 12th, so why would LE move it around before taking the pictures and doing the drawing? If so, why wouldn't they move it back? It's not like it's two days later and they've already cut chunks of wall out. So, can this be chalked up to the crime scene being spoiled by LE, or is this anomaly related to that night and the crime?

Front shot and rear shot of the cabin, both taken 4/12. Both show wires going into the house. One is phone, one power. No tv cable in Keddie. One attaches to the cabin near where the TV is, the other attaches to the rear wall near the girls' bedroom window. Which was which, and was the phone outlet behind where the TV normally stood?

Image Image

Maybe it is important to know why the TV wasn't in it's normal spot.
dmac
Site Admin

Postby tinkerbell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 am

I haven't a clue...i just don't know...maybe it was but I just can't see it that way...things like that i didnt pay that much attention to i guess..
tinkerbell

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:00 am

dmac.....Interesting about the T.V........It does look like blood on the card table, i think your on to something. The t.v. should be facing the couch, as you said. I doubt Sue or the kids moved it that night, so the question is Perps or LE. My bet is on LE at this point, i cant see the perps taking time to neatly push the t.v in the corner. But then again, it appears they took time to stage the bodies.
Magnum PI

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

dmac...Your so good with the computer, was wondering if you could take the t.v photo and add a pale blue tint to it?
Magnum PI

Postby dmac » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 am

Magnum PI wrote:dmac...Your so good with the computer, was wondering if you could take the t.v photo and add a pale blue tint to it?

I could... but why??!

dmac
Site Admin

Postby William Lee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am

A pretty blue at that... Really, though, nice work, Dmac, on all you've done and are doing.

Good points and questions. If the TV was moved from where it had ought be or earlier that night had been, it's definitely important. If I had a pick of how it was moved (if so), I'd place my bet with LE. And why? Along the line of "carelessness" would be my nice answer.

--previously-known-as-guest, for the time.
William Lee

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 am

dmac...Just wondering if adding color would make something else stand out? I thought that might be blood drop on magazine also. Maybe it's just an imperfection, thought trying different colors might show something new. Thanks
Magnum PI

Postby geegee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 am

The tv may have been moved from the struggle that took place. :?:
geegee

Postby Magnum PI » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 am

geegee, Could be but it looks placed to neatly for that, like someone put it there.
Magnum PI

Postby Indigo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Maybe Justin moved it (hence the blood on his shoes) so he could see it from the hallway???
Indigo

Location: Standin' on a corner in Winslow, AZ (it's such a fine sight to see)

Postby William Lee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't know, but IF the TV was moved by anyone other than Sue, prior to the events, my earlier guess of LE now seems a bit less likely. Had LE moved it, then it was terrible police work. After thinking about it though--and realizing HOW MUCH of a displacement that TV's position the next day was according to what we know happened that night ("Love Boat", kids, popcorn, couch, et cetera)--I'd venture to say that MAYBE the perp (or perps, according to how many may have, if Justin was honest, reentered...) moved it to clear space. It was a small area. Maybe this was during the "staging" I feel might've gone down. It appears to be slid up against that wall & card table... and "out of the way". LE certainly seems to have dusted it up...

[Addition:] Oh, and Dmac:
Front shot and rear shot of the cabin, both taken 4/12. Both show wires going into the house. One is phone, one power. No tv cable in Keddie. One attaches to the cabin near where the TV is, the other attaches to the rear wall near the girls' bedroom window. Which was which, and was the phone outlet behind where the TV normally stood?

Looks like the electricity came in through the back, phone through the front. Bet the breaker was in John's room.
William Lee

Postby Ausgirl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:55 pm

dmac, you the man. Great work!

79. The man used a knife on Johnny. I was down by Sue, trying to take care of her. All the blood was coming down and I was trying to patch her up with a blue and white flowered rag. I threw the rag in the water. The men both took the life raft, but the brown-haired man covered Sue first. Johnny and Dana touched the wall by the TV while they were fighting.

Here, Justin states the boys both "touched the wall" while they were fighting. Yet, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of disturbance, as has been pointed out. A violent fight between multiple persons - stuff would get knocked every which way, and I can imagine especially so in a small room like that.

-- If this statement is correct, then which wall was it that they 'touched'?

-- How in heck is everything so neat?
Ausgirl

Postby coffee is love » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:54 pm

its pretty clear that LE did a crappy job. this could be another thing to add to their list. they wouldnt have any reason to put it back if they gathered everything they needed.maybe it was moved while dusting for prints?
coffee is love

Postby meankitty » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 am

Part of the struggle seems to have taken place near the TV, and if LE thought it was important enough to take a picture of the TV, I don't think they would have moved it. It could well have been moved by a perp for some reason, or it could have been moved accidentally during the struggle.
meankitty

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Hello, this is my first post.
Although you can't read the channel numbers on the photo, do you think the channel can be determined from the position of the dial?
Also wondering what channel The Loveboat was on that night.
Keb

Postby Night Rider » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:36 pm

The Love Boat was on KOVR, channel 13 in Sacramento. I don't know if it was picked up by KHSL in Chico.

It's been said that the town was only covered by cable TV at the time. I don't know it the cable system also carried KOLO, channel 8 in Reno.

In the Sacramento it was always carried at 9 pm, followed by Fantasy Island at 10 pm.

The episode that is listed as being shown that night was the only original episode aired during a nine week period.
Night Rider

Next

Return to keddie facts