TV photo

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

Postby dmac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 pm

A few of us have been discussing the TV issue in Keddie. Cable is highly unlikely, as a for-profit corporation would never make their money back from installing cable all the way up the canyon just for a handful of prospective clients. Also, has anybody ever seen a photo of a cabin in Keddie with a TV antenna on it? It's been tabled that Keddie perhaps had a main antenna that fed all the cabins. The photo of the Sharp's tv shows no antenna, no rabbit ears.

The TV is tuned to Channel 10 or 11. It's hard to say, as all the digits on the dial are blurry, but the double digits are on top. If the '2' is at the top of the dial (top of the handle), it's on 11. If the U (for UHF) is on the top of the dial, it's on 10.

As for a few other questions brought up in the thread:

The TV was intentionally moved from the corner of the room, perpendicular and to the left of where it usually was (if you were sitting on the couch). The TV was in this position when photos were taken before the victims were removed from the scene.

The TV caddy was on wheels. It normaly sat facing the couch on the wood section of the floor (a small section of exposed wood flooring, directly behind the TV in the photo). Despite the wheels, it would have needed to be partially lifted to get it up over the lip of carpet it was resting on.

The TV didn't get there because of a disturbance. It was a deliberate placement. The TV wasn't knocked over, wasn't shifted on the stands. The magazines sat neatly piled on the shelf below. It remained plugged into the opposite wall, despite the fact the cord was stretched tight enough it no longer rested on the floor- it was midair.

Hope that clears up a few things.

dmac
Site Admin

Postby William Lee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:06 am

The TV situation, I can't wrap my head around it. As others have said, there's something strange, and very possibly IMPORTANT, there. Dmac noticed this anomaly (and thanks again to his critical eye), and I too feel there's SOMETHING there.

It's been said that the town was only covered by cable TV at the time. I don't know it the cable system also carried KOLO, channel 8 in Reno.

How can we verify, one way or another and FOR CERTAIN, whether cable was available or not in Keddie prior to April 1981? Does Tinkerbell remember--if she hasn't been asked already...--whether her family had cable or not? Even if available, it doesn't mean they had it; I didn't see cable television (lack of service due to living in a fairly low-populated rural area) where I grew up until the late-1980s... and as dmac noted, would such a small pocket as Keddie really be worth it to a profit-based company for them to have had to go to all the trouble and cost of running & making cable available to Keddie in those early days of premium television? I doubt it, but if I'm wrong, surely there's a way for us to prove it. Until this TV situation, going on what's "been said" was not a bad way of going. But now I think we need to try to find out. Ideas?
William Lee

Postby not sure » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Speculation...could the TV have been moved in order to try to obtain the cord from it? I'm thinking the only reason to move it would be to see if it's cords could be used as bindings. Possibly the living room area was searched first for binding material before the perps went into the girls room for such.

Plus, I remember a conversation on the old site between residents of Keddie about TV signals coming from some hilltop in the Quincy area and that cable was not available.
not sure

Postby dmac » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I remember those conversations, too, NS-- about bouncing signals. Now I do, that is... I'd forgotten.

You cannot see the TV cord itself in the TV photo, but you can see the white extension cord (6' likely), still plugged into the nearest outlet on the SW exterior wall (near the couch), and wrapped around a support bar on the rear of the TV stand. So, from other photos, I've been able to establish there was no outlet on the wall behind were the TV stood; the closest outlet was on the SW wall near the couch and window.

If someone were after cords, why not simply unplug the extension cord that was right there? What was the TV moved for? Photos I've not yet detailed or uploaded for this line of inquiry tend to suggest there was no phone outlet behind the TV.

As for rummaging through the house for weapons and bindings:

A> wouldn't the med tape come from the bathroom?
B> Wires were cut. These cords (other than phone cord) may have been collected from kitchen appliances while the perp was in the kitchen getting knives. It's a conservation of effort to do it in one move, particularly when the perp is quickly escalating things by getting the knives.

And, as I don't think I've addressed it clearly enough here, the TV was moved to a point where it was MORE of an obstacle in the crime scene. Johnny and Dana's feet both were nearly touching the stand. If the TV had been left in the corner where it was (closer to the card table), it would have been a couple feet further out of the way.

The tv became more of an obstacle, and the diagram + crime scene photos are to record the crime scene as it appeared upon discovery- with nothing moved by LE.
dmac
Site Admin

Re: TV photo

Postby dmac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 am

Having looked at this thread again, and how innocuous it seemed at the start, it is needless to say that the position of the TV, and the stand, and the card table, play directly into what happened during the crimes. The table, the wires, the fact Johnny and Dana were loosely tied AROUND the TV stand. The card table knocked over and resting against the stand. Blood smears on the wooden floor below Dana's feet. Weapon #4 and the missing folding table with the impossibly angled leg are forever right here.

The angle of the TV has EVERYTHING to do with what happened that night.

PCSO took the TV into evidence. They took the wall paneling behind the TV into evidence. We have no idea what happened to the card table, where a likely weapon 4 came from. No mention of how that leg was sticking out, huh? Very damned odd, won't you admit?

BUMP.

This is to remind us not only how much we've learned on this topic in a few months, but how simple the questions are that lead to such progress. Please don't be afraid to ask.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re:

Postby dmac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 am

geegee wrote:The tv may have been moved from the struggle that took place. :?:

I give geegee the prize for nailing down what actually happened.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Previous

Return to keddie facts