Keddie Map

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

Postby Ausgirl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:55 am

This is so awesome. I really had no idea of the scale before - how close everything is. This sheds a lot of much-needed light on the distances between the buildings, and road placement.

Thanks for all the hard work, dmac. :)
Ausgirl

Postby Magnum PI » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 am

GOOD JOB DMAC!!!!!!
Magnum PI

Postby not sure » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 am

Fantastic job, Dmac!

General observation question:

Where's the rain?
not sure

Postby William Lee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:21 am

Good question, NS: where IS all that rain?

GREAT work as always, Dmac. :)

The closeness & small scale of everything, from the interior of C28 to the surrounding area, continues to surprise me. So close... but apparently far enough away for these killers to have escaped justice all these years...
William Lee

Postby justamom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Wow, DMAC.... this is awesome! And, appreciated! You said that cabin 26 was where Justin, et al. lived, but do you also know where the little "shed" was relative to the houses? The one with the disrupted floor boards? Is it by chance, in any of these photo's?
justamom

Postby geegee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:25 pm

thank you so much,this is amazing.great job!
geegee

Postby the celt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:15 am

dmac, thank you for all of this. seeing just how close every thing is , i cant believe no one saw or heard a thing. thank you again.
kathy
the celt

Postby Indigo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 am

Like everyone else, I am amazed at how close together everything is. And dmac, excellent work! Thank you for all of your efforts. The images and diagrams you have provided have been extremely helpful.

Looking at these aerial photos I'm wondering if someone was to stand over by Marilyn's little red station wagon (parked along RR Loop Rd in the photos), how well they could see C28? Obviously you could see coming and going on Resort Road, but could you see people coming and going from the cabin? Before seeing these pictures, I didn't think you could see anything of C28 from POI's property.
Indigo

Location: Standin' on a corner in Winslow, AZ (it's such a fine sight to see)

Postby dmac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:00 am

It's a red station wagon. The hood is up, which is the international signal for "damn, this car is inoperable".

You can see any comings and goings from the front yard/gate of c28 by standing outside of 26, but the cabin itself was blocked by c29. The front door of c28 would come into view by walking across the dirt RR Loop Rd, or closer to where it intersects with Spanish Oaks. There is still a slope to contend with between 26-28, but it would be visible. The only trees in that line of view were not fir, and were still bare from winter.

Last edited by dmac on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmac
Site Admin

Re: Latest Map Update

Postby dmac » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Josh has supplied another heli shot, taken on the morning of April 12 1981. Here is a bumped and revised post, including a revised map and all six aerial images:

These are color-corrected versions, on which the above map adjustments are based:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Of particular interest is the fourth aerial shot: at the top left corner, where the red cabin and two cars are, that tiny one-lane dirt access road (shown as a blue dotted line on the map) is all there was to access the back cabins. It's also where Sue would have turned in to park behind cabin 28. In all previous maps, it was described as a paved road, similar to Keddie Resort Road and Spanish Oaks Ln.

Cabin 26 is confirmed to be where Marilyn, Justin, Bo and POI lived. Marilyn has said that her red station wagon was not operational at the time of the murders. It can be seen, hood up, near cabin 26 in several shots.

Here are the aerial images with landmarks labeled:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

http://c28.layerv.com/
dmac
Site Admin

Postby justamom » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:16 pm

I still wonder how far away the playhouse, or shed, was from cabin 26? It seeems that if it was beyond 26, and towards the railroad, you would have had to go right past 26? Tink, do you remember where it was? If it was used that night to hide Tina or even if Tina went there alot on her own, she would have gone by 26 alot....
justamom

Postby dmac » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:12 am

justamom wrote:I still wonder how far away the playhouse, or shed, was from cabin 26? It seeems that if it was beyond 26, and towards the railroad, you would have had to go right past 26? Tink, do you remember where it was? If it was used that night to hide Tina or even if Tina went there alot on her own, she would have gone by 26 alot....

I've seen scant info on where the "playhouse" was. From what I know, it would be far easier to take the railroad end of Spanish Oaks to where the playhouse supposedly was, thereby surreptitiously avoiding the glaring stare of 26 and it's unholy inhabitants.. I've seen one helluva lotta small playhouse-like structures in that area.

Feel free to PM me with queries. I still have no clue where the playhouse supposedly was, if that answers your questions.
dmac
Site Admin

Re: Keddie Map

Postby meankitty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:15 am

Marilyn did talk about the location of the playhouse in one of her posts on the cabin 28 forum. Here it is-----

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:15 pm Post subject: the residents of keddie
To my recollection the Spanish Oak Ln., makes a sharp right turn immediately there by the Seabolt house. If you go straight, you will be on a little dirt road ( cat track, i guess you would call it). The big house was the owners, my cabin was the little cabin behind the big house, (it is not marked on the map), if you stood at my front door, you could see the main road, turning up towards the trailers. The club house was kitty-corner from the left front corner of my cabin. Cross the cat track, go up a little embank- ment. The club was there on level ground. There are two ways to get to the club house. In the middle of the making the sharp turn to go up to the railroad tracks,go left to the club house or go up the embankment
from my cabin. I don't know what all the other roads are on the map. I suspect that if they are there they are overgrown and hard to see. Possibly they are roads like the one my cabin sat on.
meankitty

Postby dmac » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Uggghhh. She sure went a long way around saying it bluntly:

the playhouse was right across the dirt road outside her front door. In fact, if you looked out her front door, you were looking directly at it.

From the aerial photos, it looks more like a cabin. Once factoring the rise she mentions, I can see how the shadow from the cabin is distored by the elevation of that rise, making it seem larger. Anyway, it's on the map above, listed as "aa".

The playhouse was within feet of Marilyn and POI's front door, making it the nearest, most easily reached structure from POI's own cabin, # 26.

See?

Here are a couple shots sent a couple weeks back which show POI's cabin 26 and the area across the road from c26 where the playhouse once stood. These were taken last summer.

Image Image

Also, in the above aerial shot of the playhouse, please look closely. Note the path worn from the front of the playhouse? It curves around and down to the right in the photo, directly to POI's c26 doorstep.

Hmmm.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby tinkerbell » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:23 am

Dmac
I dont think that was the playhouse. I thought when Josh and I went back one time it was further back. Josh could confirm or not.
tinkerbell

Postby dmac » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:45 pm

As always, I'm willing to eat crow. There is one other area barely covered by aerial photos of the time. I'll show y'all what I mean next chance I get.

What is this building, Tink? Any memory of it?

Why does a path lead straight to the door of 26?
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby tinkerbell » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:07 pm

I am not sure. I think it was like a shed type of a building is all.
tinkerbell

Postby full moon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 am

New here but reading about this for years. A couple of questions for the vets:

March 1981
Mike moves out of Cabin 13

Q: did someone move back in before 4/11? Or are those cars parked out front belong to lodge?

April 11, 1981
8:30 pm
Paula V., cabin 18, goes to bed. She usually lets her dog inside, but this night she left it outside.
10:00 pm
Paula V. is awakened by her dog barking toward the vacant lot behind the Sharp residence. She looks at the clock and goes to sleep.
Q: any idea where cabin 18 is?
Thanks a bunch!
full moon

Postby dmac » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:01 am

Here's one of the aerial photos with what appears to be the playhouse highlighted:

Also, the Keddie Map has had a major update. The full map can be found here:

http://c28.layerv.com/maps/index.html

A close crop of the cabin area:

full moon wrote:Q: did someone move back in before 4/11? Or are those cars parked out front belong to lodge?

Cabin 13 was, in fact, unoccupied at the time of the crimes. Cabins 13-17 each had driveways, with 13-14 also having outbuildings/garages. The vehicles parked in front of 13 are not related to the cabin itself, but it still strikes me as an odd place to park- in the middle of a road.

full moon wrote:Q: any idea where cabin 18 is?

Keddie's numbering system is a puzzle. It has recently become clear that many cabins in numbering series did not exist, were unoccupied, already too derelict to rent, and/or were used for storage. Furthermore, many cabins have been found to have multiple numbers on them, adding more confusion. The cabin next to 26, on the NW corner of Spanish Oaks and Resort Rd (where the landlords lived), for instance, is numbered "12" on the porch post, and "25" on the door.

The short answer is that I currently don't know where 18 was, which is why I don't have it marked on the map. As 25 was, in fact, 12 AND 25, then the cabins currently listed as 23-24 were likely and/or 10-11. Due to the fact that 18 and it's dog being listed on the timeline and in police reports would logically indicate the cabin's proximity to 28, I believe 18 was along the northwest periphery, one of the cabins currently listed as 10-12.

Hope that makes sense. I will soon be updating the map again based on the recent info, as well as a couple of documents I'm waiting on which should further clarify the cabin numbers in Keddie c. 1981.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby William Lee » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Side note: Was the duel-numbered cabin--12 & 25--large enough to be considered, if need be, big enough for the owners/renters to sublet part of it, thus the differing & duel addresses? If so, guess that'd make it more sensible to have two addresses. Reason I thought of this: I used to live in a large house that had two addresses for the two "different sides", though the place was as "connected together" as any other large home would be... Just an idea.
William Lee

PreviousNext

Return to keddie facts