A little about me I guess...

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

A little about me I guess...

Postby CoffeeOD » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:24 pm

I first heard about the Keddie murders after the same movie that a lot of other people saw. Once I found the old red boards I thought how that could have been any number of families in my neighborhood, even my own.

I was born in 1972, then raised along with my brother by a single mother in Florida. We lived at the only "dead end" in the large neighborhood and behind our house was a vast expanse of woods, creeks, swamp, etc... It sounds like my friends and I did a lot of the same stupid things that John and Dana did. We "shoulder tapped" people to buy us beer, smoked the occasional joint, spent most of our time walking or riding our bikes between friend's houses and all over that vast woods. Those woods we loved and knew as well as our own house were also the scene of lots of wild parties, drug deals, pot growing and other criminal activity. Every once in a while we would stumble upon criminal activity and while most of the time we saw them but they didn't know we were there. On 2 occasions we were shot at and another time we were chased back to my house, barely making it inside and locking the door before being caught. One weekend morning a young girl, college age, was on our doorstep and had been raped out on those woods the night before.

Like Sue, my mom was looked down upon by some neighbors because she had the occasional date. One neighbor spread a rumor that she was a "go go dancer"(code for stripper back in the day) when I was about 10 years old and there was another about her dealing drugs. After a visit from my very angry 20 year old brother, he stopped flapping his gums. Any time I see someone post about Sue possibly being into drugs or prostitution it brings me back to my life and I get pissed....my mom's name is Susie btw.

I want this case solved because it could have been me and my family, any number of my friends or you and your family. Justice needs to be done for the Sharp and Wingate families, so anything that can be done to move in that direction is a good thing.
CoffeeOD

Re: A little about me I guess...

Postby TinyDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 pm

I understand and relate to your feelings, CoffeeOD.

I too was raised by a single mom back around those times. Children weren't as supervised in those days. We also ran wild and free in our neighborhood that also had some rural areas (paradise to us kids). We'd be gone from sunup to sundown. I was a little girl, slight build, with big eyes like Tina. I'm surprised I survived under those circumstances relatively intact. And maybe that's why this case grabbed me. I saw myself in Tina a little. It's funny how an attractive single woman back in those times could maybe have one date and the whole neighrborhood could let their imaginations and judgements run wild...unjustifiably. Things have sure changed over the last 30 years or so. I believe 40 percent of the children born in our country are born to single mothers.

I'd sure love to see justice finally prevail in this case. Maybe that's why I've been hanging around for so long.
TinyDancer

Postby the celt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:23 am

i was born in 1962, and my father died in 74. i to was raised by a single mother. i am the youngest of 6. my mother just lost her fight with cancer last Tuesday, she was a strong and wonderful person and will be greatly missed. i live in the heartland. out in the wide open spaces.
kathy
the celt

Postby not sure » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Through your posts I've come to know you as a very caring person and this must be tearing you up. Please know our thoughts are with you and yours. May your healing be short, your memories long. Deepest sympathies.
not sure

Return to intros