Re: The jailhouse exchange between Marty Smartt & Dale Meeks

case files, articles, etc

Postby jhancock » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Though this story was referred to on the original timeline, it has never been reproduced in its original form. The following is the entire report, with names omitted for privacy:

Code section: 187 p.c.
Classification: 1st degree
Victim's name: Sharp, Glenna Susan

At approx. 0240, 4-18-81, I brought in Meeks, D. W., for 23102(a). I placed him in front of the booking window. A subj. named Person of Interest was in the end holding cell. When POI obs. subj. Meeks, he became enraged. He began to beat on the door, yelling, "Put him in with me, I'll break his fucking neck!" "Tell them where the dope is, Meeks!" "Put him in here with me, I'll find out!" All these statements and many others were yelled at the top of his voice while beating on the walls and door.

At approx. 0300 am subj. POI lowered his voice from a scream and stated, "You know I got her, Meeks, and I'm going to get you in the same way!" Subj. was removed from the area at this time.

At the bottom of the report is the date (4-18-81), the time (0330), and the name of the reporting officer.

A supplemental report that coincides with the above:

A reporting officer writes the following:

On 4-18-81, I talked to D.W. Meeks, prior to his being released from custody on a drunk driving charge. Meeks told me that POI and POI's friend, Bo, had been at the Back Door Bar in Keddie Saturday night (4-11-81) with POI's wife, Marilyn. They had walked Marilyn home, and had returned to the bar after changing clothes, and Marilyn had fallen asleep so she does not know what time they returned home. However, they were there when she awoke the next morning. I asked Meeks how he knew this, and he said Marilyn had told him. Meeks said Bo had left for Klamath Falls, Ore., on Tuesday, 4-14-81, as he had taken Bo to the bus depot himself. Meeks also told me that Justin had said that the police did not check the river thoroughly enough, and that POI spent a lot of time at the "Cascades" on the river. I asked where the Cascades were and he said he does not know.
jhancock

Re: The jailhouse exchange with D. Meeks

Postby dmac » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm

23102(a) is DUI- any reports on when Marderer was clipped, and what the charge was? The timeline states Bo left for Klamath on the 14th, and Marderer was supposedly eastbound on 70 near Portola the day prior, so what landed him in a Quincy jail on the 17th/18th? When was he released and when did he meet up with Bo in Klamath?
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Eastern » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 pm

"Tell them where the dope is, Meeks!" Any idea what that was about?
Eastern

Postby frida » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I wonder if the remark about the dope was meant to throw the suspicion off on Meeks-? POI had been calling law enforcement and giving them bogus tips about the crimes--maybe he wanted the cops to think the crimes were drug related and that Meeks was in on it somehow.

Mean Kitty sent me Marilyn's old posts from the other board and she talks about having a relationship with Meeks after POI left town. Is there any information that this relationship may have started before POI left town? Maybe POI wanted to throw suspicion on Meeks because he suspected he was interested in Marilyn...
I'm here all week folks!
frida

Postby Eastern » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Makes sense frida, that he was trying to make the murders out to be about stolen drugs. Thanks.
Eastern

Postby LadyKim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 am

jhancock wrote:Though this story was referred to on the original timeline, it has never been reproduced in its original form. The following is the entire report, with names omitted for privacy:

Code section: 187 p.c.
Classification: 1st degree
Victim's name: Sharp, Glenna Susan

At approx. 0240, 4-18-81, I brought in Meeks, D. W., for 23102(a). I placed him in front of the booking window. A subj. named Person of Interest was in the end holding cell. When POI obs. subj. Meeks, he became enraged. He began to beat on the door, yelling, "Put him in with me, I'll break his fucking neck!" "Tell them where the dope is, Meeks!" "Put him in here with me, I'll find out!" All these statements and many others were yelled at the top of his voice while beating on the walls and door.

At approx. 0300 am subj. POI lowered his voice from a scream and stated, "You know I got her, Meeks, and I'm going to get you in the same way!" Subj. was removed from the area at this time.

At the bottom of the report is the date (4-18-81), the time (0330), and the name of the reporting officer.

A supplemental report that coincides with the above:

A reporting officer writes the following:

On 4-18-81, I talked to D.W. Meeks, prior to his being released from custody on a drunk driving charge. Meeks told me that POI and POI's friend, Bo, had been at the Back Door Bar in Keddie Saturday night (4-11-81) with POI's wife, Marilyn. They had walked Marilyn home, and had returned to the bar after changing clothes, and Marilyn had fallen asleep so she does not know what time they returned home. However, they were there when she awoke the next morning. I asked Meeks how he knew this, and he said Marilyn had told him. Meeks said Bo had left for Klamath Falls, Ore., on Tuesday, 4-14-81, as he had taken Bo to the bus depot himself. Meeks also told me that Justin had said that the police did not check the river thoroughly enough, and that POI spent a lot of time at the "Cascades" on the river. I asked where the Cascades were and he said he does not know.

Very interesting , what did POI mean when he said " You know I got her, Meeks" ???
LadyKim

Postby dmac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:24 pm

"You know I got her, Meeks, and I'm going to get you in the same way!"

This lines up with the motive Marty gave the counselor, and the threats Marty made before and after the murders, including the threats he was making from Klamath just prior to he and Bo bailing from their flophouse love-nest to join the circus.

It also screams, loud and clear, that Marty knew his drug-running compatriot, his homey, was already nailing Loon.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie files