Hi all!

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

Hi all!

Postby klemspad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 am

I lived in Cabin 7 during the summer of 1990 while working for the U.S. Forest Service. A picture of Cabin 7 is shown on page 71 of the book and on the website. Every morning while living there I picked up a coworker who lived year around in Cabin 23 which has since been demolished. We'd drive by Cabin 28 and he informed me of the murders. I remember being amazed that someone had moved into Cabin 28 after the murders. I couldn't have lived in that cabin after those horrific murders.

I moved out of the area after that summer but moved back permanently in 2005. I visit Keddie every now and then because it is such a unique place and it brings back memories. I read the book a couple weeks ago and admit that I had nightmares that night. Last night I saw both videos and I feel I have a lot more insight into the case.

My heart spills for the victims of this heinous crime. Like most of you I have my own personal opinion of what may have happened and why no one was apprehended. I was optimistic that there would one day be an arrest, but after watching the videos I am having my doubts that there will ever be closure in case.

Lastly, while living there that summer my room mate and I had an experience that lead me to believe that Keddie is haunted with spirits. I own a home in Plumas County now, but I would not be opposed to ever living in Keddie again. Keddie is eerie, but I have found it to be a special place.
klemspad

Re: Hi all!

Postby frida » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:49 pm

welcome klemspad! good to have you. do you feel comfortable relaying the eerie experience to the board? you have piqued my curiosity!

frida
I'm here all week folks!
frida

Postby klemspad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Cabin 7 faces the lodge and one evening at dusk my room mate and I snuck in. I remember being surprised how everything in the bar was left in place as if it was closed for the evening and would resume business the next day. The booze seemed to be the only thing missing. The book describes perfectly what we saw. We went upstairs and peeked into a couple of rooms on the northeast side of the building. Again, everything was in place. It was at that time when we heard a loud "thud" down the hallway. The sound was completely out of place and seemed to be coming from one of the rooms on the other side of the building. I couldn't imagine it being an animal, and it didn't sound like the building was settling. It sounded like someone could have been in one of those rooms. We didn't stay to find out and hauled ass out of there.

While living in Cabin 7 I slept in the living room and my bed was positioned so that my head was just below the window that faces the lodge. I liked sleeping next to the window so that I could take in the cool summer mountain air. The window is shown in the photo. In the evenings after the incident I remember not wanting to look up toward the lodge's upstairs windows for I didn't want to see anything peering out from one of those windows. It could have been our minds playing tricks on us, but we heard something up there that night and it freaked us out.

Other than that I walked several times in the evening to visit my coworker in Cabin 23 and never heard or saw anything strange. It was just that one experience that I'll never forget.
klemspad

Postby dmac » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Hey, Klem- welcome to the board.

Since you lived in #7 for a time, if you have any insights / corrections / additions to the map, please let me know. Also, do you have any photos of Keddie? Was the old General Store still there at the time? Were there any folks still living in Keddie that had been there in 81? Stuff like that is og great interest.

Thanks-
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby frida » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks Klem! That does sound creepy. I find abandoned places fascinating--always have. Especially when it looks like folks have just left everything as is and gone away. Keddie looks like such a beautiful place--all the trees and the cabins. So hard to believe such a horrific crime took place in the midst of that. I echo what you said tho about someone living in that cabin after the crimes. I know I wouldn't have been able to. When I was in college, some friends of mine rented this house. Nobody liked being in the house alone or being in the basement--even tho it was a finished basement and had some of the bedrooms down there. We all kind of joked about it but two of my friends who lived there had eerie experiences in their rooms during the night. It felt like someone sitting on their bed or holding their legs down. We are all pretty skeptical about such stuff but there was definitely something off about that house. After they moved out, we found out that a professor had lived in the house and had been murdered by one of his students in the basement. Really violently--scissors and a hammer. Makes you think about the energy left over from something like that.

Anyhoo--welcome again. Very interesting to hear from people who live in the area.

frida
I'm here all week folks!
frida

Postby klemspad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

Being a collage kid in 1990 I didn't have the foresight to take any photos. If I only knew then what I know now I would have taken photos and been a lot more curious. I was only there during the summer and was not very well connected to the community. The only Plumas County locals I knew were the ones I worked with. I do remember, however, that people I talked to about the murders thought that the killer was an out of town transient. They thought the transient was either hitchhiking through the area or a train jumper who got off in Keddie and quickly fled after the murders. I think it is safe to say that the people I talked to didn't have a clue.

I don't remember the General Store being open then at all. We had to go to Quincy for everything. The lodge was clearly closed, but I don't know when operations had shut down. Cabin 18-23 and 27 and 28 were standing then, but it seemed like only half of the cabins in the Spanish Oak block were being lived in. The others appeared dilapidated like Cabin 7 is now. I heard that the reason why many of the cabins were abandoned or torn down was because of a health issue. Something like contaminated water? At least that is what I heard.

Because of the condition of the cabins rent in 1990 was dirt cheap. I think we paid $200 a month and it could have been less. The map looks accurate to me and I'm thankful for it. After seeing the cabin in the book I went to Keddie the next day with a copy of the map to confirm I lived in Cabin 7.
klemspad

Postby not sure » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:02 am

Welcome Klemspad and thanks for sharing.

Your lodge experience reminded me that the lodge would have been an easy place to hide a young girl until things cooled down enough to move her to a different site. It's been rumored there was a 3rd person outside the cabin that night who could have taken "possession" of Tina. I've often wondered if she wasn't driven away that night but, rather, taken someplace nearby and driven away later (like the next day in a thinly veiled guise to get car parts?).
Previously we tossed around the possibility of her being kept in the playhouse but why not the lodge? Would give more credence to the woman at the lodge who witnessed the agitated guy trying to get upstairs, no?

Again, welcome Klemspad.
not sure

Return to intros