Lynette Mollath's murder & similarities to Keddie homicides

case files, articles, etc

Postby jhancock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

We received the following information in an email near the end of filming Part II:

Investigators [name withheld] and I went to the Piedmont Police Department and met with Det. [name withheld] regarding a similar homicide that occurred in their city in 1978. The victim, Lynette M., is the sister of Gary M. who currently owns the Keddie Resort. There were several similarities in the way that the victim died and the way that Glen [sic], John and Dana died.

The Piedmont Police Department case file indicates that the victim lived in her parent's house with her parents and her brother Gary. The parents were out of town. Gary was the last person to see the victim alive and the person who discovered her body. It appears that Gary left her at home and had gone to have lunch with some other relatives. Gary had left the residence at around noon and when he returned at around 1700 hours he discovered the body. The crime scene photos indicate that the victim's nude body was lying at the foot of a staircase with her throat cut. She also had several stab wounds to the upper chest and some bruising about the neck. Her body was lying on a curtain that had been torn down from the window but she was not bound. I reviewed the ME report and found that the wound to her throat was much wider and deeper than the wound to Glena's [sic] throat. The location, however, was almost identical. The report also indicated that there was no evidence of sexual assault.

The scene that the M. residence had evidence of ransacking but nothing was missing. The investigators believed that a burglary was staged by the suspect(s) with no signs of forced entry. The victim had a large dog that was said to be protective and not stranger friendly. The dog had no injuries or any other indicators that it may have been involved in protecting her owner during the attack or protecting the residence during the ransacking. The weapon used to murder the victim was a butcher knife that had been taken from the kitchen but had been washed by the suspect(s) and left in the dish drainer by the kitchen sink.

I also learned that she was a graduate of Quincy High School. After the graduation her father moved her back to Piedmont to get her out of that environment. After moving back to Piedmont, the victim was reported to be a quiet modest girl that didn't go out much.

After reviewing the case in Piedmont we determined there could be a link between our case and theirs. The Piedmont investigators and I agree that we need to establish the common denominator between the two cases. Piedmont has requested a list of names from our case to see if anyone from our area has had any contact with their agency or any dealings with the victim's family.
jhancock

Postby Chichibcc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm

While I do see some similarities (how victims were murdered, no sign of forced entry, etc.) I kinda find the whole thing to be a coincidence at this point-I would need to see more information on Lynette's case before thinking that the two incidents could be related. Just not enough to go on.

The only "common denominator" I see at this point is Gary-he knew, or had somewhat of a close association with, all the victims (with the exception of probably Dana Wingate, whose family didn't live in any of his cabins).

Other than renting "Cabin 28" to the Sharp family, I don't really know what kind of other contact he could've had with them (if any) outside of collecting the rent every month. After the murders, I'm sure he was obviously interviewed, of course. But being in close proximity to people from both cases doesn't automatically make him a suspect, either, so there has to be some other link that hasn't been considered yet or is missing altogether.
Chichibcc

Postby dmac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Gary was listed as owner of Keddie in this report, but the Albins were leasing it at the time and supposedly in full charge of the day-to-day details. To my knowledge, which is partially confirmed in a lawsuit concerning the M family for tax evasion, Gary wasn't even living in 'run-down' Keddie but lived in a better home nearby. According to his family's claims in the lawsuit, he was paid an exorbitant 6-figure salary to "oversee" the resort, which was actually owned by his family, not him. Over $130,000 to oversee a property that wasn't even being managed or operated by the family at the time? And the place was falling apart?

Something sounds fishy. Any fraction of that supposed salary would go a long way to fixing many of the minor problems plaguing the infrastructure of Keddie, problems the Mollaths clearly ignored for decades which led directly to the decline, eventual condemnation, and ultimate demise of the once-envied resort. No way you can add up what happened during their decades of ownership and not deduce they oversaw Keddie as it turned to hell.

How far away was the window from which the drapes were taken? Had Lynette been attacked in an upstairs bathroom, as I'd heard? Was Lynette dragged from one location to another, and the drapes used to help transport her? Not that Gary's story is implausible, but that's two odd windows for Lynette's attack to occur during: Parents gone, and Gary out to lunch... "With relatives".

The wording of the above report does all but spell out interest by LE focused directly at Gary. "I agree that we need to establish the common denominator between the two cases"??! The report is introduced with such a commonality clearly stated: Gary Mollath and the relationship between him, his sister's murder, and the murders in Keddie, which his family owned and he lived near. Was that sentence I quoted thrown in at the end to soften an accusation? Or to start the process of 'finding' no connection between the wealthy, powerful Mollaths and the mass murder which happened in a resort they were ruining, a resort thought to be overrun with drug deals and drop-offs via the RR & wye, large quantities of drugs which fed Quincy and all points Plumas and beyond?

There have long been accusations that the Keddie murders were deliberately not solved because the truth would cast light on money, drugs, the rich, the powerful, with a huge dose of corruption and collusion. Still, have there been any decent connections between Gary and any other crimes? Were there any early, long-standing accusations predating the nutty stuff generated by old web boards?

How many articles were written about the decline of Keddie, or anniversary stories on the murders themselves, which wrongly portray Gary as a good guy whose wonderland resort was singlehandedly ruined by association with an isolated incident, a mass murder? How many stories mention how he was planning to replace 28 with a memorial park, or how he was midway through renovations that were sure to spark the inevitable rebirth of Keddie?

Time indicates that if the writers weren't full of lies, Gary sure as shit was.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: Lynette M.'s murder and similarities to Keddie homicides

Postby Chichibcc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 am

So Mr. Mollath was receiving all of this money for pretty much doing nothing then? :-O That's just wrong-and wasteful! Sounds like he came from one of those powerful, rich families who think they can do anything they want just because they have money (gag). It's like they treated the resort as a "cash cow," and nothing more. Sad.

Another thing I find funny is that in 2004, when interest in the case really started to rise, it was decided that "Cabin 28" needed to be torn down. Why did Mr. Mollath wait until that particular time to have it done-the cabin had been abandoned and in bad shape years before that, but now that there were documentaries, books, etc. about the case just starting to come out, it was time to just tear it down. The timing was just a little odd, I think.
Chichibcc

Postby geegee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 am

This is a very interesting thread! Did Sue pay her rent in person and on time? or did this guy come by and get the rent?Either way if he collected the rent he certainly would know how many people lived in the home and maybe even the comings and goings of the Sharp family.
geegee

Postby meankitty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 am

Now that this has been brought up, did the reports say what side of the neck the wounds were on? I did find some aspects of Lynette's murder strange, such as the dog seemingly didn't get in a fight with the intruder.
meankitty

Postby SecretAgentHolly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:05 pm

So...

After reading this thread, I'm reminded of what one of the psychics said at the time about the possible suspect(s) involved in this crime had something to do with a family that was wealthy. Can't remember which post/thread that was in, sorry guys.

Still...
interesting.

-Holly
SecretAgentHolly

Postby Chichibcc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

SecretAgentHolly wrote:So...

After reading this thread, I'm reminded of what one of the psychics said at the time about the possible suspect(s) involved in this crime had something to do with a family that was wealthy. Can't remember which post/thread that was in, sorry guys.

Could it have been this thread?
http://keddie28.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=425
Chichibcc

Postby SecretAgentHolly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks ChiChibcc.

But, nope. I read that whole thread and didn't see the info. that i was talking about before. Odd.
Meh, forget something new every day I guess. lol
SecretAgentHolly

Postby tcmc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 pm

I was one of writers who published an article about Gary M. "fixing up" the property and returning it to its former glory. That was his comment. It wasn't my job, as a journalist, to call him a liar in print. It was clear he was full of nonsense, but that wasn't really my problem. I gave him his chance to say whatever he wanted about Keddie and he chose his own words. My approach was to allow folks to hang themselves with their own comments, if they was their choosing.

Meanwhile, the Lynette angle is hardly a new revelation. This is pretty old information.
tcmc

Postby jhancock » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Tc, understand that what you might consider "pretty old information" is new to the majority, if not all, of the members here. None of the case files contain "new" revelations, for the files, as you know, are over thirty years old. The point of this section of the forum is to show those interested in the case what they have most likely never seen before. As a journalist who has reported on the murders and on Keddie in general, you have been privy to some of this information, but that doesn't apply to most people here.
jhancock

Postby dmac » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

tcmc- If you're referring to my above post, which includes the following:

I wrote:How many articles were written about the decline of Keddie, or anniversary stories on the murders themselves, which wrongly portray Gary as a good guy whose wonderland resort was singlehandedly ruined by association with an isolated incident, a mass murder? How many stories mention how he was planning to replace 28 with a memorial park, or how he was midway through renovations that were sure to spark the inevitable rebirth of Keddie?

Time indicates that if the writers weren't full of lies, Gary sure was.

The entire point of that passage was to thinly veil my accusation that Gary was, indeed, lying through his teeth. My implying that he was misquoted or his claims of memorial parks and resort resurrection were the fiction of the reporter was a joke.

However, as a reporter, if you understood Gary was lying over the years (as you said), why didn't you point that out? Isn't the job of the reporter to pass the actual truth onto the readers so they aren't left as interpreters of printed bullshit? (That's a lawyer's job! ;-) ) There are myriad ways to punctuate his quips with contradictory facts, in ways that don't appear to be blatantly intentional. By knowingly allowing his lies to stand without rebuttal, aren't you instead instilling the misconception that he is telling the truth or, even worse, is also a victim? That just ain't the right thing for any reporter to do.

Then again, my greater concern is that, over the decades, articles on the Keddie crimes continue to get rudimentary facts wrong. Most people would hope that a local reporter would closely follow such a landmark crime, and would at least get the proper spelling of names, ages of those involved, etc., correct in anything carrying their byline. 'Most people' would be greatly disappointed, as most here certainly are.

Don't consider this a swipe at you, as I don't know who you are. Consider it a well-deserved complaint against any reporter who should know better but repeatedly proves, through such ineptitude, arrogance, and/or negligence, that they do not. That's something any decent reporter would applaud.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby tcmc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 pm

dmac:

Please allow me to say it different. If Gary M. would make a statement similar to "I plan to renovate Keddie to bring it back to its former glory," it is difficult to cast doubt on someone's state of mind. My intuition was that he was full of nonsense because he had come across as somewhat incompetent (as opposed to being malevolent or sleazy). It is very difficult, in advance, to prove or show someone will not follow up on a promise or intention. In my case, I could say it like this: "Despite the size of the undertaking and past neglect, he insists he will return the old resort to its former glory." Or something similar to that. And I did actually phrase it in a similar manner. I would not, however, say, "He has plans to turn things around at the resort, but it is obvious he is a liar."

Even so, I would be the last to defend Gary. He allowed a landmark turn to crap. I never portrayed him as a good guy. If nothing else, I was indifferent about him. He did not strike me as remarkable one way or the other. Mostly, as I said previously, I think incompetency and neglect were the primary issues with Gary. But that is my assessment.

The mention of a memorial park was not reported by me. I am aware that another reporter did compose an article containing such nonsense. This was the same wanna-be journalist who traipsed through the crime scene in the days following the homicides.
tcmc

Postby tcmc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 pm

jhancock wrote:Tc, understand that what you might consider "pretty old information" is new to the majority, if not all, of the members here. None of the case files contain "new" revelations, for the files, as you know, are over thirty years old. The point of this section of the forum is to show those interested in the case what they have most likely never seen before. As a journalist who has reported on the murders and on Keddie in general, you have been privy to some of this information, but that doesn't apply to most people here.

You are absolutely right. My apologies.
tcmc

Postby Ausgirl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 am

Why would a family filled with doctors, laywers, high-end investors and such folks let Keddie run down?

Tax write-off. The Mollaths had tax issues, and ran it at a visible loss. From what I have learned, Mollath Sr. was a canny businessman, well respected for being astute. For a while I thought he'd palmed the resort off on his son as a way to keep him busy - Gary's not quite of the calibre of other men in his family...

But it's been pointed out that he, nevertheless, had other businesses as well. So, the next non-zebra to run in this equation is: taxes.

Interestingly, of Mollath's close relatives is a lawyer, who once defended what appears to be a very serious criminal from Russia.

As to that poor girl's murder, I've always smelled a rat around this 'coincidence'. Not so much re the particular Keddie perps but around the various dodgy connections that can be made between organised crime and some of the folks in that area.

Here's a scene that runs through my mind frequently, and not without reason:

Busy Drug Trade is running well and smoothly, with various local persons involved directly and/or getting substantial kickbacks for one reason or another.

This trade is run by some very serious criminals from Elsewhere.

A person with traceable ties to some very serious criminals shows up in Keddie, not long before a quadruple murder.

The DAY after the murder, and despite abundant and extremely clear evidence of things for which this fellow might be (and should have been) quite reasonably arrested/held for questioning about, and some extremely suspicious (and illegal) behaviours - he is permitted by the DOJ to leave town, free and clear to enjoy a life of relative freedom for years to come - despite being caught impersonating police, scamming large wads of money from Govt. employees, etc. That's on top of being involved in an organised armed robbery ring, in years prior, members of which also had some very close ties to -- those same very serious criminals, who are well known for using murder as a disincentive for causing them grief of any kind.

But off he goes, free as a bird. Selah.

The scene of the Keddie murder, like that of the Mollath murder, is made to look like something it wasn't (sex crime/robbery).

Also like the Mollath murder:

- there are ties between a major suspect and some very serious criminals
- it goes unsolved
- it gets very little media coverage

Just getting back to the very serious criminals for a moment, and to sidetrack a moment with sundry interesting details:

--- Said serious criminals are known to use businesses such as real estate/construction and the amusement/fairground industries as fronts for various rackets including drugs and money laundering.
--- The particular serious criminals directly linked to our major Keddie suspect's former armed robbery gang -- are involved in construction.
--- People with close ties to our suspect as well as those same serious criminals -- are also involved in construction.
--- The last known mention I could find of police having any dealings with said major suspect is in a hotel room in Vegas -- and the person he was with at the time was a man quite well known for a "how to make money with real estate" scam.
--- Oddly, the suspect seems to have become quite a lot younger suddenly, somehow, in the above-mentioned report. Unless somebody else was using his name... but then, appropriating/obfuscating names and identities seems to have been quite the habit for people associated with this man.
--- People linked to our suspect and some very serious criminals are involved with -- fairground equipment.
--- Our free-wheeling Keddie suspect AND his local Keddie sidekick had quite a lot to do with -- fairgrounds in Plumas, by all reports.
--- In fact, several suspects (including one serial killer with purported ties to some very serious criminals and definite ties to the local drug trade) AND a victim can be directly linked to -- Plumas fairground.
--- Speaking of Plumas fairground (whose 1981 manager was later arrested for grand theft after 'managing' a pile of other fairgrounds) - there was at one point, not too far from 1981, a deal between the Water board (of aforementioned quibbles) and the Fairground organisers to the tune of $95,000 for land usage, which seems all okay - but a little more probing might be interesting, there....
--- A major Keddie LE personality was outed for lying about the extent of drug running in the area on public radio - by one of his own men.
--- This is the same major LE personality who headed up the Keddie murder investigation -- in some at times quite bizarre ways.
--- This is the same LE personality who was said to be quite friendly with one of the major murder suspects -- who was involved with drug dealing.

To sum up my thoughts:

It is not at all unreasonable, in my opinion, given the various and many "coincidences" of connection to drugs and drug synicates/organised crime surrounding the Keddie murders, to ponder the question of whether those deaths were not merely due to a random act of stupid violence, in totality, but possibly a part of a much larger picture in which the victims themselves probably played no part at all -- but may have been used to make a horrendous and rather emphatic point to somebody else -- somebody who'd possibly annoyed some Very Serious Criminals.

I am also wondering whether the Mollath murder might reasonably be compared to the above line of questioning.

This is not the sum total of my research or conclusions, just a point of interest in this particular thread.

:) And now I'm just waiting for the next bout of creepy and vaguely threatening posts/private messages to start rolling in.....
Ausgirl

Postby Eastern » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Aus, there are are much easier and lucrative ways for them to have a tax shelter besides hanging onto the Keddie Resort. It makes no sense to keep it for that long unless they were benefiting in other ways. ;-) ;-) Your thoughts and info are interesting to say the least.
Eastern

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:45 am

I can't see it simple stupidity, or neglect.

If Mollath's unstupid and pennypinching father let him run the resort down, there was a -reason- for it.

Tax.
Criminal buddies using it as a drop-off point.

Part of some money laundering racket...

Whatever.
Ausgirl

Postby not sure » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:16 pm

The only article I could find at CSUChico on Lynette Mollath's murder was from the SF Chronicle and it was just a short blurb. I went through several months articles following this one but couldn't find another single one. Unfortunately, the CSUC library's microfilm for the Oakland Tribune only went up to 1947. I imagine any later archived articles would have to be purchased through them. Unless I can, someday, make it to the Oakland library...

not sure

Postby Ausgirl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Isn't it a BIT strange that the home invasion murder of the daughter of an affluent, Anglo-Saxon family with strong ties to the community and business in the area gets THIS little publicity?

There's lower-income runaways and homeless kids from that era who've gotten way more press. What influence did the Mollaths have over the media, back then, and why would they wish the story supressed, as publicity increases the chance of somebody coming forward?

Was it because Gary was viewed as a suspect?
Ausgirl

Re: 2 Clippings: Albins Take Over Keddie

Postby quincygirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am

Lynn Mollath had to have gone to Quincy High. Gary Mollath was in my class and she was only a year older than me. I don't remember her, but if they were living there, no other high school would be available.

Regarding ownership of property. If someone in Quincy can go to the Treasurer, Tax collectors office, all property ownership is public record. I used to work there but don't know anyone there anymore. You have to go in person. They may send you to the Assessors office, but I know you can look up any property you want.
quincygirl

Next

Return to keddie files