Case updates on 7-27-81

case files, articles, etc

Case updates on 7-27-81

Postby jhancock » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Following is an update to show current activities in the investigation of the Keddie homicides and kidnapping case.

1. Currently there is a surveillance being arranged and handled by the Naval Investigation Services of the USN and FBI. The surveillance is to take place at the residence of James Sharp in Groton, Conn. to watch for the 12-year-old missing Tina, in case Sharp had his daughter kidnapped and transported to him there.

2. DOJ Harry Bradley has obtained information that Sue Sharp has a boyfriend that sang at the Keddie Back Door. Robert T. of Portola used to sing at the Back Door but he was killed in an auto accident while running from Portola deputies near the end of April of this year.

3. Categories of investigation of the homicide have been established and are in folders in the file cabinet. Those are the working copies of the report and should be kept up. Other information located in front of the files should be gone through to be sorted into categories and copied for the working file. Photos and tapes in the bottom drawer should be filed.

4. Springfield, OR has a similar case that occurred on 7-10-81. I have talked to them once on it and have sent them some information on our case. Because they were in the middle of their original investigation and didn't have anything written yet, no further contact has been made. They probably have more info by now and should be recontacted for follow up.

5. Joel L. was Tina's teacher at school. He has shown great interest in the case and is reported to have pictures of Tina in his office and at home on the walls. Nancy D. said that Joel "loved Tina like a daughter." We have run him through the computer with negative results.

6. We obtained a new photo of Tina wearing a pink top and white pants. The photo was in Feb. 81. Need to send it to Sheila in OR to see if the clothes are in her belongings.
jhancock

Re: Case updates on 7-27-81

Postby Always Searching » Fri May 29, 2015 7:52 am

jhancock wrote:
4. Springfield, OR has a similar case that occurred on 7-10-81. I have talked to them once on it and have sent them some information on our case. Because they were in the middle of their original investigation and didn't have anything written yet, no further contact has been made. They probably have more info by now and should be recontacted for follow up.

I realize this particular thread is very old, but has anyone ever been able to figure out what case in Springfield, Oregon was similar? And if so, how was the case similar? Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answers to these two questions.
Always Searching

Postby dmac » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am

Yeah, Josh was asked for details and didn't respond. mk and I quickly found the same article (see below), which mk considered 100% vindication that the Cabin 26 murderers had nothing to do with the Cabin 28 murders. I, on the other hand, found nothing to consider the Springfield case related to Keddie. The timing of the Springfield/Eugene murder (they are twin towns, and the victim's property was very close to the border separating them) wasn't right, either. I figured if Marty visited the Eugene area, it was AFTER or even DURING his time in Klamath Falls, as Eugene is twice the distance from Quincy. Marty had family/friends in the area, including his ex (Linda), so I figured the red van (and white female, 30) Marty left the Arcadia in belonged to (or borrowed by) one of them. I do find it odd PCSO relied on a "cop relative" of Marty's to get such details. As always, there is never a consideration of Conflict of Interest by LE in this case!

<deleted>

I ended up doing much more work on Balcom's murder, and found a couple more articles. I also found there was a land dispute for the property he was living on, and the adjacent property, both owned by his uncle. His uncle had also ruffled a lot of political feathers when a higher court forced Springfield to pay out for wrongfully harassing him over the use of his property, which is mentioned briefly in the below piece. Lots of suspects, but whoever did it knew him- covering him up with the sleeping bag. Both tracts of land have now been bulldozed, cleared, and have remained vacant for decades, so perhaps the killer got what they really wanted (?)

I don't believe I ever posted my research, which I lost when my last computer fried. This was long (over a year) before I found details on the Arcadia Hotel, Chenault Enterprises, etc, which neatly dovetailed into what Princess said about Uncle Bo and Marty visiting her family in Texas around May-June of 81. They left the Arcadia, started scamming with Chenault just across the border from Walla Walla, then got hooked up with a carnival (probably one of Chenault's contacts) traveling across the States, ending up in Texas and beyond.

In revisiting this, I still see nothing to tie this murder to Keddie. Marty having cops as relatives on the Springfield PD who, in turn, was trusted to 'investigate' Marty, is still the biggest red flag coming from this entire episode.

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1100&p=13769#p13769

SPRINGFIELD [OR] P.D. (DET DON BOND) Similar 187 on 7/10/81, info on our case sent for comparison <STOY>

HOOKER, TOM (EUGENE PD, OR) Ex - relative of Martin Smartt, will help locate if needed <SHANKS>

(I haven't researched Tom Hooker, beyond finding potentially current contact info, but I'm presuming Hooker's relationship to Marty is through marriage. Marty had a sis and bro who married multiples, as did his divorced parents. There's also the possibility Hooker's related to Linda J, Marty's first wife. IT is also known Marty, his kids, and pregnant wife were hitching from Phoenix to the Pac NW ('to visit friends') when they settled in Corvallis because Linda went into labor while thumbing rides.)

810500 Marty leaves Klamath for Redding, CA. According to Det. Hooker of Eugene OR, filed by PCSO on 810716. No known tracking of Marty or Bo after this point.

810500 Martin Smartt checked out of motel in Klamath Falls with a white female adult about 30 years old in a red van.

810716 Detective Hooker of Eugene, OR is contacted. Eugene is where Marty Smartt went after leaving Keddie. Hooker advised that Marty went to Klamath Falls, and from there to Redding, CA. <unk>

810716 PCSO made a long distance call to Eugene, OR to a Detective Hooker to track Marty's whereabouts and Hooker said he went to Klamath Falls. (And he was checked out there.) On 7-27-81 a similar murder case in Springfield, OR (near Eugene) was checked for similarities to the Keddie murders. <unk>

810727 LE Springfield, OR has a similar case that occurred on 7-10-81. I have talked to them once on it and have sent them some information on our case. Because they were in the middle of their original investigation and didn't have anything written yet, no further contact has been made. They probably have more info by now and should be recontacted for follow up.
<unk>

810828-0000m Ramona Lake brings envelope to PCSO sent by Marty, with return address, "Marty, Chenault Enterprises, Milton-Freewater OR 97862
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby Always Searching » Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks, dmac, for such a quick and well thought out reply. I find your responses incredibly helpful because you not only give your opinion, but the facts to back it up. Thank you!
Always Searching

Return to keddie files