810622 Ward Weaver- 2 pages

case files, articles, etc

810622 Ward Weaver- 2 pages

Postby jhancock » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

The following document was obtained from a manila folder titled "Poss. Suspect File" sent to the filmmakers during the making of Cabin 28: The Keddie Murders Part II.

6-12-84 approx 0900 hr, I received a phone call from Cpt. Leroy Wood of the BCSO. He advised than an informant told him who committed the Keddie homicides. He explained that the informant called just before he called me. The informant says that he knows the ex-wife of Ward F. Weaver. He is currently in the Kern Co. Jail on 187 charge. The ex-wife told the informant that her ex-husband committed the Keddie murders. The only other information Cpt. Wood had was that the ex-wife is very afraid of her ex-husband and she will not come forward this time out of fear.

In checking on the ex-husband's name in the case file I found a supplemental report where he was considered as a possible suspect during the original investigation.

6-22-84, I contacted Bill Opferman of DOJ BOCCI unit in Sacramento. Opferman has information on W.F.W. and has followed his criminal history. He told me that the suspect's whereabouts on April 11/12 - 1981 are unknown but that he was in Southern California on the 3rd of April and in Reno NV on the 14th of April, 1981. I obtained a brief description from Opferman on the suspect's M.O. in two homicide/kidnap cases and notice some similarities with the Keddie case. I will contact Opferman in person next week and obtains copies of the information.

6-21-84, Sgt. Young stopped by the BCSO on the way back from Feather Falls and talked with Capt. Wood. He obtained a photo of the suspect and a copy of the BCSO coroner report concerning [name omitted], who was the girl the suspect picked up in Kern Co. and later killed in Butte County.
jhancock

Re: Another suspect? - 2 pages

Postby tinkerbell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 pm

I think I know who you are talking about. I think they arrested his son years ago up here and I for some reason had a weird feeling about him and his father.....
tinkerbell

Postby not sure » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Is this the guy who's son killed the two girls that were friends of his daughter? I had heard he was in the Butte County area at the time. Sheila, did you know him or ever meet him? Was he seen around Keddie or Quincy? Didn't someone say he knew POI?
not sure

Postby tinkerbell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:03 pm

No I don't ever remember hearing about him or knowing him at the time...
tinkerbell

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293&p=4620&hilit=ward#p4620

Ward Weaver, and his son.

Ward Sr. also may have gone by the name Debernado after he abandoned his first family and started up a second.

These people are seriously messed up, and were very, very good and not unlikely suspects. There's also some odd links between the Wards and some other people, which I'm still working on.
Ausgirl

Postby 2Poodles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 am

Is this the same Ward Weaver who Murdered Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis in Oregon January 2002? If so I would think they would have his finger prints on record. I don't see how he would have left Justin alive and kill the other 4 people he knew where in the house. Justin would be dead too. From everything that was in the news and papers and his interviews, he is a cold calculating person and he would never have left a witness, nor would he have been that sloppy.
2Poodles

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 am

I am not saying Ward Weaver ---did-- it.

I'm just saying, to be perfectly clear, "He was a likely suspect".
Ausgirl

Postby dmac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 am

Ward Weaver III is the one who killed his daughter's friends. I still recall that one getting media attention because LE screwed the pooch so badly on that, and the community was in an uproar because they knew the bodies were likely under concrete but the cops did nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Weaver_III

It was Ward Francis Weaver Jr, mentioned by Aus, who is a POI in the Kathy Howard murder from 73. Martel from cabin 13 (in Part 2) says Kathy was abducted from Cemetery Hill (the same Cemetery Hill, between Quincy and East Quincy, where Quincy Cemetery is?) and found 30 miles away near La Porte, near the turnoff where Camp Eighteen is a further ten miles down the road. Not much is known on Ward Jr, but rape was the clear motive in the double murder he was later busted on. Bludgeoning with a pipe is how he killed the male, then abducting the female. He evidently moved the body of the v/f twice that night. He was a long-haul trucker living in Oroville and, despite raping his victim twice during the several hours between kidnaping her, dropping his freight off in San Fran, and returning, he didn't kill her until outside of Oroville, then buried her again twice in his own back yard.

In Part Two, an ID sheet of WFW Jr is shown on camera when discussing the Howard murder, indicating he may have been considered a lead POI in her murder, if not the Keddie murders.

http://www.law.com/regionals/ca/opinion ... 4665.shtml

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?id=13543

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,61289,00.html
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby krazykat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:36 am

Interesting. I wasn't paying attention to where she was found. Do you know a cross street or coordinates on where she was found? Or dates of her abduction and body being found. I've read through all the posts on this forum concerning her but I didn't find an exact location or date.
krazykat

Postby Chichibcc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 pm

If you haven't read it already, here is a report that gives a little more info on the Kathy Howard case-based on attempts by LE to see if the two cases were potentially linked:

http://keddie28.com/gal/Case%20Files/Su ... index.html
Chichibcc

Postby krazykat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks ChiChi, I did read that.

I just hadn't realized that she was found near La Porte. When I read Yuba County I was thinking Kathy was left in Yuba City.

The statistical probability that two victims found near La Porte with blunt force trauma plus stab wounds,(given the low population density, remote location, low murder rates in rural area's)..... not being related would be very low.

I'm not saying they were commited by the same person but it does give a reason why Camp 18 was chosen for Tina that makes sense to me.
krazykat

Postby bigsis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:09 pm

In the late 70's there was a back road, all dirt- no pavement, probably a logging road, that went across from LaPorte Road near Strawberry Valley, across the Lost Creek Reservoir Dam to Feather Falls. We used to camp at Lost Creek Res. and several times went across on that road to come home through Feather Falls. So anybody familiar with the area could go from Quincy to LaPorte and Feather Falls in a fairly short time.
bigsis

Postby dcheryl83 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 am

Has Ward Weaver III been executed yet? If not, does anyone know if he's still in San Quentin? He's a serious contender for this crime. Take the girl he wants and kill everyone else is right on the money. Which means it is possible that Tina was alive for a few days if he had her.

If he's still around I'm willing to contact him via snail-mail.
dcheryl83

Postby dcheryl83 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 am

Just came across this on a Pen Pal Site:

WARD WEAVER I'm full Irish on my fathers side of the family, I'm half Irish and Half Geman on my mothers side, I'm a blood brother to a Cherokee medicine man And I grew up next to an Indian reservation (Hoopa) So I guess that makes me a cultural misfit huh ? My name is Ward F. Weaver and I tuned fifty eight the tenth of Feb. of this year and I am six foot three inches tall weighing a little over two hundred pounds with hazel eyes and brown hair that is going through the change of life. I am on death row at San Quentin Prison and have been using my time to develop my desire to be a writer and currently have several novels that I am pursuing to get published so that I can leave behind a legacy, my name in published print. So if you wish to share thoughts, ideas, desires and wishes, we can also explore the realm of loneliness and frustrations, for it is said that a burden shared loses half its weight, but a joy explored together carries twice its splendor even if in spirit. So, if you're inclined, please write me...
Visit webpage at: http://ccadp.org/wardweaver.htm
Ward F. Weaver C-39361
1-EB-113
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin, California
94974 USA

If you got to his site he has written a very disturbing essay about learning how to Kill.
dcheryl83

Re: Ward Weaver as a suspect? - 2 pages

Postby Cheshire » Sun May 18, 2014 11:08 am

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/i ... andfa.html

By Rick Bella | [email protected]
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM, updated February 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

When Francis Weaver was still in diapers, his grandfather went to prison for murdering a young couple in California.

The year he turned 22, his father went to prison for murdering two girls from his Oregon City neighborhood.

And now, at 31, Francis Paul Weaver is, himself, charged with murder.

Police arrested Weaver and two others in the shooting death of a Grants Pass man Sunday in Canby after what police are calling a drug deal turned deadly. He was arraigned Tuesday in Clackamas County Circuit Court and is being held without bail in the county jail.

Criminologists often see families that display antisocial behavior in both the parents and their children. But in the Weaver family, violence, cruelty and rage have bubbled to the surface for at least four generations.

"When I was a police officer, there were some families known to all officers because of their involvement in crime," said Annette Jolin, professor emerita at Portland State University's Division of Criminology and Criminal Justice. "But I think it's very rare to have two generations of murderers and another generation accused of murder."
Jolin, who holds a doctorate in urban studies and criminology, said current theories largely discount genetic predisposition toward crime, the old "feeblemindedness" or "bad seed" causes. But she said growing up in household without solid education, caring or good examples can bring out the worst in a child.

If that's the case, Francis Weaver was dealt a difficult hand to play, learning to navigate a cauldron of violence.

He first caught the attention of Portland-area media when his father, Ward Francis Weaver III, became the focus of an investigation into the mysterious disappearances of 13-year-old Ashley Pond and 12-year-old Miranda Gaddis. At the time, Francis put on a personable face and defended his father to reporters.
"When I first met him in July 2002, I liked him," said Janine Robben, a Portland attorney and journalist who teaches First Amendment law at Washington State University-Vancouver. "He was very defensive of his father. He said it was very inappropriate to assume that because his father was a killer because his grandfather was a killer. He was not happy with the investigation."

At the same time, he introduced his girlfriend to Robben as "the love of my life."
The following month, Ward Weaver tried to rape his son's girlfriend, snapping the already-brittle father-son relationship.

"I kept wondering which teen-aged girl would go to Ward Weaver's house, when everyone was focusing on him," said Robben. "Then it dawned on me – it had to be Francis' girlfriend."

When she called on Francis Weaver, he was short with her tried to close the door as quickly as possible. But Robben saw his girlfriend standing behind him.
"I knew right away that she was the one," Robben said. "I could see the bruises on her neck."

Meanwhile, Francis Weaver told police that his father had confessed to killing the girls, pushing the investigation to a quick conclusion. Armed with search warrants, FBI agents found Miranda Gaddis' remains in a storage shed. Ashley Pond's remains turned up under a concrete slab.

Ward Weaver subsequently was charged with aggravated murder, attempted rape, abuse of a corpse and sexual abuse. He pleaded guilty in a plea bargain to avoid the death penalty and was sentenced to two life sentences without the possibility of parole. Now 50, he is being held in the medium-security Two Rivers Correctional Institution in Umatilla.

Exhaustive DNA investigations during that case also brought something else to light – Francis Weaver is not Ward Weaver III's biological son, though both previously believed he was. Regardless, Francis Weaver was raised by Ward Weaver and grew up calling him "Dad."

Maria Shaw, Francis Weaver's mother, who eventually divorced Ward Weaver III in the 1990s, told The Associated Press Wednesday that her son had nothing to do with the Canby slaying. "He's not guilty," she said. "They want (to arrest) him so bad because they think he's Ward Weaver's son."

When Francis Weaver's father was convicted, his grandfather, Ward Francis Weaver Jr., already was a fixture on Death Row in California after he was found guilty of murdering an 18-year-old Air Force recruit and his fiancée.
A long-haul trucker, Ward Weaver Jr. picked up the couple in late 1981 near the Mojave Desert, then beat the man to death with a length of pipe, according to court records. He then took the young woman on the road with him, raping her again and again. When she resisted, he strangled her to death.

Then, in a precursor to his son's actions, buried his victim under a concrete slab behind his home, this one in Oroville, Calif.

Ward Weaver Jr. was convicted in 1984 and sentenced to death in the state's gas chamber. But he has filed a torrent of appeals that have delayed the process. Now 70, he currently has a 357-page appeal on 27 grounds pending before the U.S. District Court in Fresno, Calif. Meanwhile, he is being held in San Quentin State Prison.

During his trial, prosecutor Ron Shumaker cited testimony from a witness who said Ward Weaver Jr.'s mother gave the first hint of family troubles. The witness said Dorothy Weaver harbored a deep hatred against all men and once, brandishing a butcher knife, declared that she wanted to "cut off all of their penises."

Compared to his father and grandfather, Francis Weaver has kept a relatively low profile until recently.

After family turmoil in Oregon, he moved to Shoshone, Idaho, to live with Ward Weaver III's half-brother, Rodney Weaver. But it didn't stop the problems.

In 1998, Francis Weaver was suspended from school in Shoshone, Idaho, for choking another student.

The following year, he was charged with aggravated assault after firing a rifle into a truck full of teens in Shoshone, wounding his best friend. He was sentenced to 180 days in a juvenile detention center, but was released after serving about a month.

In 2005, Francis Weaver was charged with breaking into a Southeast Portland home, holding the residents hostage and then robbing them. He was subsequently acquitted by a Multnomah County Circuit Court jury.

Then on Sunday, Canby police and firefighters came across a puzzling scene, finding Edward Kelly Spangler of Grants Pass lying outside his Hyundai SUV in Locust City Park. It was obvious that he had crashed the vehicle into a tree. But it wasn't until they examined him closely that they found he had suffered "multiple" gunshot wounds.

Spangler, 43, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Working with the Clackamas County Major Crimes Unit, police then traced Spangler's path to a nearby apartment complex for which they obtained search warrants. They soon arrested 27-year-old Michael Arlan Orren, who admitted that he shot Spangler twice in the head, according to court documents.

Police also arrested Francis Weaver at the Canby apartment complex, initially charging him with robbery.

Meanwhile, Orren reportedly told police where they could find an accomplice, 32-year-old Shannon Bettencourt. A Portland Police Bureau SERT team served a search warrant Monday at a home in the 7800 block of Southeast 92nd Avenue in Portland, where Bettencourt was arrested.

According to court documents, police believe Weaver, Orren and Bettencourt stalked Spangler, planning to steal 15 pounds of marijuana Spangler brought from Southern Oregon for a cash exchange. But the robbery didn't go smoothly, and they killed Spangler, documents say.

On Tuesday, after a round of interviews, authorities filed a new charge against Francis Weaver – murder.

Janine Robben, who is writing a book about the Ward Weaver III case, said she was saddened to hear that the young man who touched her with sincerity of his love for his girlfriend now is facing the same charges that put away his father and grandfather.

"It's still sad," she said, sighing. "What else can you say?"

-- Rick Bella
Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Sun May 18, 2014 11:17 am

Click on the link in the post above to see photos of the 3 scumbags
Cheshire

Postby dmac » Sun May 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Interesting new development in the Weaver Clan saga. Early days yet, so let's see how the 'police work' pans out. That first link has a nice family photo gallery, too. It's important to keep in mind that it was public outrage at crappy police work, and the public protests outside of Ward III's home, that kept the story and investigation alive. I wish Plumas had just a hint more of that same moral outrage, and an inkling of the troubles within PCSO!

Jan Robben also joined this forum last June, and we corresponded a few times about this case and it's similarities to Ward Jr's work. I was familiar with her, as I had researched Jr. I felt his proximity was interesting, and that he was involved in far more than just the double he was sent to Death Row for- and others were involved with him. So I gave her what info I had, which wasn't much. She was specifically looking for the files Josh detailed in the original thread, and Josh was on vacation at the time. I never heard back from her, I don't know if she ever contacted Josh, and she never posted on the forum. I eventually recently deleted her account, when cleaning up dead and unused accounts.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Re: 810622 Ward Weaver- 2 pages

Postby dmac » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm

For the past several weeks, I've been struggling with a book about WW3 and his grooming and murders of Ashley Pond and Miranda Gattis. The book 'Missing: the Oregon City Girls', is credited to Linda O'Neal, her husband, Philip Tennyson, and Rick Watson. O'Neal, a PI and step-relation to one victim, seems to be the focus of the book.

I tried HARD to get into this book, to find any info on the four generations of Ward Weavers that are murderers. I've only made it through a couple chapters, and they suck ass. The book is written third-person PRESENT, an ill-advised choice even by established and fluent writers. The 'evidence' O'Neal presents as proof of WW3's involvement in one chapter (BBQ & Revelations, sic) make threadbare accounts of "Dee & Marty Out Back at the Bar" seem 100% solidly proved by comparison. Yes, LE fucked the case; Yes, moral outrage by the community was fomented by activists willing to risk all by shoving LE's face into their own shit. Yes, unfortunately, this book is heavy-handed back-patting which misses all attempts at credulity.

The worst part is the writing itself. No disregard to those involved, those spun into this tome's self-aggrandizing tale but, objectively, the core story is a populace of back-wood hillbilly Oregonians- similar to Keddie- IGNORED and deliberately disenfranchised by those hired to "protect and serve" . Yet the authors insist in inventing dialogue between participants more often affiliated with Shakespeare than Common Joe Victim. The blatantly fictionalized writing in this book blasphemes the tone and honesty of the truth from those very people, now lost because the 'authors' deliberately fictionalized KEY CONVERSATIONS.

i didn't see much mention of the Weaver family history in the book, or any recap of WW3's father's crimes. As I mentioned, there's now FOUR GENERATIONS of WW murderers, and there's confusion over names. III's dad, II, is often called WW Senior when he's either Jr or his dad had a distinguishing factor such as a different middle name. Anyway, the Weavers are a clusterfuck of assholes who should be left to rot, and attention put upon the victims.

WW2, a supposed 'suspect' in Keddie (bullshit, PCSO knew what happened!), killed while using his long-haul trucking job as a hunting method. He also brought in bizarre angles, such as using friends as thrill-kill co-conspirators. He also buried, unearthed, and moved his victims, and (a cue WWW3 took, which led to his undoing) poured cement over victims, disguised as "home improvements".

As I mentioned in older posts on this thread, someone closely related to the Pond and Gattis cases became a member of the forum years ago, trying to gain access to Josh more than be involved in the forum.

There is a decent book to be written about this true horror story but, unfortunately and OBVIOUSLY, this shitty book needs to be remembered as SHIT, rather than praised.

By far, the best book I've read even remotely related to Keddie is DOUBLE DEAL, written by a crooked Chicago cop/Outfit fuck, Mike Corbitt, and Outfit leader namesake, Sam Giancana. Published two full years before I became involved in the case, and 6-7 years before I'd ever heard of Red Waterfall, it does more to expose Hyman 'Red' Larner in one of it's 450 pages than all the news articles written between 1945-2045. The stuff in that book is BARELY making its way online, but find it at your library, or buy it online, or borrow it online from OpenLibrary. it's indispensable.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie files