Hi, I'm new here

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

Hi, I'm new here

Postby bigsis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi all,
I think you've done a tremendous job of putting all the information and questions out there. I've been looking at many of the forum posts, and I'm beginning to have a feel for who's who. Many years ago (1950's) my sister-in-law's husband worked for WPRR and I spent a few weeks with them in their boxcar stationed up and down the Feather River Canyon. Keddie was always one of my favorites just for the sheer beauty of the country, and for the friendly people in and around the Resort. So now that I'm official I can join in the dialogue and maybe have something to add now and then.

Big Sis

These users thanked the author bigsis for the post (total 2):
William Lee (Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:05 am) • dmac (Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm)
bigsis

Re: Hi, I'm new here

Postby not sure » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Welcome, Big Sis!

We love the input from people who've been there and look forward to your take on all this.

Feel free to ask questions and don't worry if you feel they've been asked before. We've all been there and everyone here seems more than happy to help out a newbie.

I have a question...what do you mean "we stayed in their boxcar?" Was this one boxcar that moved from station to station or a boxcar in each station the worker had access to? Can you elaborate?

Thanks and, again, Welcome!

NS

These users thanked the author not sure for the post:
dmac (Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm)
not sure

Re: Hi, I'm new here

Postby bigsis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks, not sure. I don't know how to do that officially.

About the boxcar - it was a regular boxcar that had been transformed into a small house-on-wheels. Her husband was a foreman of a crew that worked on the railroad tracks, and he got this house to live in as he and his crew traveled. They had also a dining car and dorm car for the workers. All three cars would be stationed on a siding during the work in that area. It was quite nice, with a bedroom at one end that had a door for privacy; a kitchen/dining area in the middle; and a living area with couch, etc at the other end.

These users thanked the author bigsis for the post:
not sure (Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 am)
bigsis

Return to intros