The Pet Thread

The Pet Thread

Postby Ausgirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi all. Have you got pets?

I have a cat. His name's Tomtom. He 'talks' in his sleep, snores, thinks he's a dog sometimes-- "Wow, what's wrong with your cat?" -- "Nothing. He's barking at you.". Opens doors on his own but NEVER shuts them. :| Likes to sit -beside- and not -on- people, especially when they're doing something electronic. Likes to have a 'pillow' of any kind of totally unpillowlike material when he sleeps. And loves my daughter with alarming devotion and patience.

Tomtom's really just ... the best cat ever. =-)) I'll post a pic as soon, have to upload one on this crap connection...

I'd love to hear about yours. :)
Ausgirl

Re: The Pet Thread

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

ewwww.

I had a cat years ago that -loved- to eat spiders. He used to hunt them in the garden, ignoring moths and birds in the process.

Thing is, Australia has some REALLY :shock: BIG spiders. (don't click this link if you are scared of spiders)

They make crunchy sounds when chewed on. >< And worse, he'd bring 'em home and let them go in the house to enjoy the chase a bit longer. :|
Ausgirl

Postby just a friend » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 pm

I have to respond to this one. Tinkerbell can vouch for how spoiled rotten my 2 cats are! I have one female and one male cat. Precious is an 8 year old Norwegian forest cat mix. She is the boss of our house. She is a torti and definitely has a 'torti tude'. Capone is about 1 and a half. He is a Himalayan Snow Shoe mix. I rescued him in December. He was abandoned. I have been working with him a lot and he has come out of his shell and is a momma's boy. He is still afraid of strangers. I know he was abused, but I don't know how or by whom. He has a home now here and that is all that matters. He and Precious get along pretty well. They are both gorgeous cats. I am a lucky cat mom!

I have always wanted to get a Sheltie. Maybe some day. :)
just a friend

Postby just a friend » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Here is a picture of Capone.

Here is a picture of Precious. She was not liking the camera in her face.

These users thanked the author just a friend for the post:
dmac (Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm)
just a friend

Postby Ausgirl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 pm

JAF, those cats are gorgeous. I always wanted a Norwegian Forest cat but I don't know how one might cope here with our stinking hot summers.

Okay, here's Tomtom when he was little.

He was a lost kitten when my daughter found him. After a week of searching for his owner, we found her. She came to pick him up and observed my daughter's sad little face at the prospect of giving him back - and said we could keep him. :)

Here's Tom now. He's "talking".

These users thanked the author Ausgirl for the post:
dmac (Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm)
Ausgirl

Postby just a friend » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Your Tomtom is a handsome boy Ausgirl, I like cats that have orange coloring! That is a sweet story about how you got him.

Precious snores too. I think it is funny! Norwegian's are beautiful. There is a price for all that fur though - hair balls. And right now, and also in the spring, is when she gets them the most. Her winter coat is coming in, so I need to brush her more often.

Give Tomtom a scratch and a pat from us! :)
just a friend

Postby Indigo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Image This is my 'son', Beamer. He's 11 now. I adopted him when he was 5. I had to be at the vet to say goodbye to my Norwegian Forest cat, Lightning, and Beamer made it very clear that he wanted me to adopt him. He's quite the character. He loves to sleep in a big cardboard box with an old wool coat in it (forget the expensive cat bed I got him!), and you often hear him snoring loudly. He cannot wait to drape himself across me as soon as I pick up reading material or work on my laptop. When he was little, he would get into things he shouldn't, so I'd pick him up and put him inside the bathroom for a brief time-out session. One day several months later, I hear him rustling around in another room. I was busy and dismissed it. Some minutes later, I start hearing these sad cries, and quickly went to see what was wrong. There stood Beamer in the open door of the bathroom. He'd put himself in time-out and wanted to leave the room. That's my boy! :lol:
O, what a tangled web we weave; When first we practice to deceive! ~
Sir Walter Scott

These users thanked the author Indigo for the post (total 2):
meankitty (Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm) • dmac (Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 pm)
Indigo

Location: Standin' on a corner in Winslow, AZ (it's such a fine sight to see)

Postby Ausgirl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:18 pm

LOL Indigo - Beamer certainly is a good looking feller. I don't think I've ever had a cat that didn't just "arrive" at the exact right moment to move into my life, and they've always been a bit 'special'. Of course, I could just be biased. :mrgreen:

I'm jealous of you and JAF with your Norwegian forestfluffs. They're very good looking cats, and I hear they have quite a personality to them. Capone is stunning, JAF - my girl was enamoured wants you to post him over, please - express.

MK, have you a pic of yours? I uploaded it to the same free host Dmac used and it's quite good.

Speaking of Dmac --- don't you think it's getting a little cat-heavy in here? (not that you can ever have too many cats - in a thread, anyhow). What about a pic of the woofers, to balance things up?
Ausgirl

Postby dmac » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

OK, here's my rescue mutt- he came from a household that raised dogs for meat. He chose to be with me, not the other way around. After a life of abuse and neglect, he's rounding out his years with all the love and affection he can handle.

Likes: catch, toys, ball, toys. Ball, catch, frisbee. Hikes, park, cars, balloon, cars, ball, brushing teeth, treats, ball, fetch.

Dislikes: Any other person or pet around me he doesn't know. Toenail clippers. Bath.

Here he is with ball, the neighbor's dog, and cat.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com

These users thanked the author dmac for the post (total 6):
frida (Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm) • gotbier (Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am) • MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm) • Indigo (Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm) • Ausgirl (Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:27 am) • just a friend (Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby just a friend » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Indigo, that is a great story! Beamer is definitely a handsome fellow!

Ausgirl, below are 2 other pictures of my 'kids'! As far as Norwegian's go, Precious is a good girl, she has a great personality. Her coloring is a tortishell, and she does have a 'torti tude'. She is the boss around here and when she has had enough, well she will let you know! She is 8 now, but when she was a kitty she was very playful and mischievous. Now she is kind of settling into her middle age. So I got Capone and he keeps her running around! I took the picture of Precious on my cell phone so it is a little grainy.

just a friend

Postby just a friend » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice on the rescue dmac. Linda Blair is a friend of mine and I helped her with her animal rescue foundation for a few years. It is hard work. We rescued about 50 dogs from Katrina.

These users thanked the author just a friend for the post (total 2):
dmac (Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:28 pm) • MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm)
just a friend

Postby Ausgirl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 am

Kudos, D (dog meat, really?)- many of my own animals over the years have been 'rescues' (I bought one of my horses off the back of a dog food truck, literally) and they're always pretty special and unique. Can't believe he likes his teeth brushed - none of my dogs ever have!

JAF - lovely pictures. I know what you mean about tortie 'tude, my own old silver tortie (now passed) was full of it. Capone seems to just looove the camera, lol.
Ausgirl

Postby CoffeeOD » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:26 am

We have 3 pets, who are all rescues.

My wife and I have a 25 pound cat named Skwishie. He's not fat, just gigantic with really thick fur and when he lays on something the fur molds around the object, which is why he's named Skwishie. He was bottle fed by my wife after his mother abandoned him, so he's freakishly attached to her and has zero cat-like instincts. He paws at my wife's face with his claws kept in and will kiss her upon request. When he gets mad because he doesn't get what he wants he finds paper and bites off chunks, looks at us with his ears back and spits it out over his head. Little fucker pouts and acts out like poorly parented 4 year old. He's very protective over my wife and has charged pit bulls that got too close to her. A gigantic 25 pound cat charging looks like a mini rhino sans horn....terrifies dogs. He's also very protective our other cat and our dog, so other dogs and cats learn very quickly to leave our house alone.

We also have a little 4 year old cat named Jude I rescued from near death. She was a feral kitten that lived under the building where I worked. Poor little girl was covered from head to toe in what looked like stone and she was so weak she could barely stand and the stone-like covering on her was so thick she could barely see out of her eyes and had a layer more than a 1/8th of an inch thick on her ears. I purchased a trap and eventually caught her one day, took her to the vet and eventually was able to scub that stone-like crap off her head. A month later she escaped through our pet door accidently left open and disappeared for something like 6 weeks, returning to our front porch with the top 70% of her tail skinless and bloody. I was able to trap her yet again and get her to the vet. Sadly her tail had to be removed, but she recovered very very well. 3 years later she's gone from feral to pretty damn tame, yet tiny(8 pounds) kitty. She loves our other pets, comes when called and is now one of the most affectionate and happy cats I've ever seen.

We love our cats, but our pride and joy is our maltese puppy named Eeyore. He's 10 pounds of pure joy. He was rescued from a puppy mill and within 6 months we had to spend over $2,000 to get him knee surgery for a luxating patela. The day we brought him home he found a ball, dropped it at my feet and wanted me to throw it so he could fetch it for me. He is just the most eager to please dog I've ever met. Whatever you want to do, he wants to do...if you lay in bed all day, he's happy...if you want to go on a 20 mile walk, he's happy...if you go on a 3,000 mile trip across the country, he's happy. He just wants to be around us, regardless of what we do. His favorite foods are apples and carrots. He was first exposed to snow last year at this time and he absolutely loves it. He will make tunnels when there's 3 feet on the ground and loves pooping on snow so much that when the snow was melting and only in patches he would hunt for a patch of snow to poo on.

We're weird people who love on our pets probably way more than what's healthy.

These users thanked the author CoffeeOD for the post (total 3):
MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:56 pm) • just a friend (Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 am) • Ausgirl (Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:05 am)
CoffeeOD

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:04 am

LOL at "Skwishie" - great name! - and double LOL at a dog named Eeyore pooping on snow. :lol: They all sound wonderful, CoD - and Jude's story is just heartwrenching. Good on you for giving her a loving home.

I used to round up scores of diseased and sometimes injured wild kittens in the supermarket carpark behind my old house because the Council wouldn't. The ones that escaped didn't live long - just long enough to have a sickly litter or three before enteritis or feline aids or plain old infection got the better of them, and we'd find them... :( Damn, those tiny little kittens could move, though! And if we managed to corner or cage-trap some, it was like trying to pick up a spinning ball of needles embedded in fluff. I soon worked out that thick rubber gloves were a really good idea. :? They'd usually ALL have horrible conjunctivitis, so I'd try to keep our dogs and a cage full of nasty-tempered kittens separated for a week until I cleared that up, or the kitties would have no chance at all of passing muster at the shelter.

It's sad, but most had to be put down. Our three massive dogs loved our own cats, but weren't kind to strange ones so we couldn't keep any, though a few friends ended up adopting kittens that weren't too far gone. The girl from the local pet shop took home the very tame and ladylike blue Persian purebred and her two blue kittens we found taped up in a carboard box by the dumpster once. Who throws a cat like that away like garbage? Or any cat? :evil:

Stories like the ones you guys have told here restore my faith in people, they really do. :)

These users thanked the author Ausgirl for the post (total 3):
MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm) • meankitty (Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 pm) • just a friend (Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 am)
Ausgirl

Postby not sure » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:10 am

I'm loving all the pet stories and especially the "rescues".

We have 11 cats (I often joke we have 11 because we do not want 12). It would be 13 but my neighbor borrowed 2 of my kits and has yet to return them. They come down to visit on a daily basis (they like my food more than hers ;p ) so I haven't gone after them. All 13 are rescue cats, most singular, with one pregnant one squirting out 6 little "*cues". The neighbors don't complain about the cats because they keep the rodent population down. Only complaints I've ever had was the rodent heads they tend to leave in inappropriate locations and once my next-door neighbor left his sliding glass door open on a sunny day and he came home to discover 3 of my cats lounging on his toasty warm carpet. He was more amused than upset.

The rescue thing runs in the family...my daughter has 6 rescue cats and two rescue dogs. One dog she literally stole from his druggie "owner" due to maltreatment (his original name was Chronic. Uhhuh. Eejits.)

She also "takes care of" numerous wild critters...raccoons, skunks, foxes, geese, polliwogs, possums, banana slugs, etc. I told her I draw the line at bears and mountain lions. But I'm sure if they make an appearance, she'll feed them.

BTW, anyone living in the San Francisco Bay Area, check out Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation (aka ARF). Great program that's saved many lives! And congrats to Tony for the World Series win!

:have_a_nice_day:

These users thanked the author not sure for the post (total 2):
meankitty (Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:09 pm) • just a friend (Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 am)
not sure

Postby just a friend » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 am

I love all of of the pet stories. It takes a special kind of person to love and care for all of the injured, abused, and neglected animals. It does not surprise me to find so many people on this board who rescue animals. This board exists to help a friend of mine, who also loves animals. People who rescue actually care. Just like the people on this board care. Kudos to all! If you have not shared a story and have one, please share so we can all read. Thanks!

These users thanked the author just a friend for the post (total 3):
dmac (Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 am) • MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:01 pm) • not sure (Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:05 pm)
just a friend

Postby auburngirl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:29 pm

My knowledge of this case in no way measures up to most of the knowledge you all have, no matter how hard I try to keep up. So I don't post much. However,I really enjoyed reading about all of the pet stories. So here's mine...
We have a black lab that we acquired when she was about a year old. She is so sweet and smart and we love her. There's no great story about how we got her but she is a fully trained retriever and was purchased after she was trained. Her name is Chloe and when she retrieves ducks she is trained to "go" when she hears her name - meaning we weren't able to change her name without a lot of work and confusion for the dog. Well, it wouldn't be a big deal but we also have a 13 year old daughter named Chloe. We decided to keep the dogs name and thought that over time we'd get used to having 2 Chloe's in the house...
Except we also have a 3 year old son who LOVES the dog and talks about her incessantly. So a few weeks after we got the dog my son goes to daycare and proceeds to tell his teacher the following..."Chloe took a shower with Daddy and she is going to have babies!" Needless to say we quickly decided to call her Chloe Dog to minimize the confusion. :slow:

These users thanked the author auburngirl for the post (total 3):
MommylovesMax (Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm) • not sure (Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm) • Ausgirl (Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:13 pm)
auburngirl

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Except we also have a 3 year old son who LOVES the dog and talks about her incessantly. So a few weeks after we got the dog my son goes to daycare and proceeds to tell his teacher the following..."Chloe took a shower with Daddy and she is going to have babies!"

LOL!!!!! Omg, auburn!!! :lol: Funniest thing Ive heard all week - poor you, explaining that one tho!

These users thanked the author Ausgirl for the post (total 2):
Indigo (Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:38 pm) • not sure (Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm)
Ausgirl

Postby auburngirl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes Aus - it was a little embarrassing but the teacher laughed about it once she figured it out. :;^^:
auburngirl

Postby Indigo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:10 pm

CoffeeOD wrote:We have 3 pets, who are all rescues.

My wife and I have a 25 pound cat named Skwishie. He's not fat, just gigantic with really thick fur and when he lays on something the fur molds around the object, which is why he's named Skwishie. He was bottle fed by my wife after his mother abandoned him, so he's freakishly attached to her and has zero cat-like instincts. He paws at my wife's face with his claws kept in and will kiss her upon request. When he gets mad because he doesn't get what he wants he finds paper and bites off chunks, looks at us with his ears back and spits it out over his head. Little fucker pouts and acts out like poorly parented 4 year old. He's very protective over my wife and has charged pit bulls that got too close to her. A gigantic 25 pound cat charging looks like a mini rhino sans horn....terrifies dogs. He's also very protective our other cat and our dog, so other dogs and cats learn very quickly to leave our house alone.

GET OUT!!!! Beamer is not only the same size now (and he was such a small little fella when I got him), he paws at my face (sans claws) and kisses me upon request, too. And, and....when he gets mad, or doesn't get what he wants, he takes bites out of his scratcher (cardboard), his aforementioned cardboard box he loves to sleep in, or any other source of paper he can get his teeth clamped onto! I thought he was the only weird cat that did that! While he doesn't do the ears back/over the head spit-out thing, he does often put his ears back and give me what I call the "squinchy face look". It's hilarious. I think Beamer and Skwishie must be related. ;)
O, what a tangled web we weave; When first we practice to deceive! ~
Sir Walter Scott
Indigo

Location: Standin' on a corner in Winslow, AZ (it's such a fine sight to see)

Next

Return to other sites & off-topic threads