Hello From Portland

introduce yourself, & tell us how you became interested in the case.

Hello From Portland

Postby RogerV » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:14 am

Hello from rainy Portland! I first learned of this case on another board I belong to called Findadeath. We call ourselves "Death Hags." Yes, it sounds strange, but I guess we ARE a little strange! =-)) I personally am always interested in cases like this one, especially if there is the tiniest chance of justice finally being done. I've spent the last few days going over as much information as I can find, and while I'm hardly an expert at this point, I can at least discuss the case coherently.

A few observations that probably won't be of any real help in solving the case, but still might be of interest. They're also in no particular order:

My first reaction was that LE had an uphill job from the very beginning due to the fact that almost everyone in the community had SOMETHING to hide. I realize that the community changed over the years, and while several people have talked about what an idyllic place it was to live and raise children, I would definitely have locked my doors at night, and even in the daytime if I wasn't home.

One of the photos of the interior of Cabin 28 mentions where the telephone was located and that it had already been removed as evidence. It was found off the hook, and the wires had been cut. I'm probably not the first to notice this, but this suggests to me that someone tried to call for help and was stopped in the act. Does anyone know if telephone cords were used to tie any of the victims? Also, it's possible/probable that 911 service did not yet exist in the community, so if you didn't know the number of the fire department or police department, you dialed "0."

I'm not sure how this relates to the case if it does at all, but I was very confused to see gas meters on some buildings, and also propane tanks near others. I then saw one building with both a propane tank and a gas meter. This is an unusual arrangement, but it may have provided a more exact accounting of how much gas a tenant used. This in turn would relate to the highly transitory nature of the residents.

None of this is especially profound, but it's all i can come up with so far....

--Roger

RogerV

Re: Hello From Portland

Postby Ausgirl » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:44 am

Hi, Roger, nice to meet you and welcome. :)

Does anyone know if telephone cords were used to tie any of the victims?

None of the victims found in cabin 28 were tied with phone cord. Sue was tied from wrist to ankle with black electrical cord cut off an appliance. John and Dana were tied loosely together with a length of white electrical cord that was knotted around both their ankles.

Found with Tina's remains was: "quantity: 1 item: piece of cloth (color: pink / belt-like material knotted in loop)" and that's about it for evidence of what she might have been bound with, if anything. It could simply have been a belt she was wearing at the time, as well - it's never been made clear what this item was about.

Your observations are most welcome, as well!

These users thanked the author Ausgirl for the post:
not sure (Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:41 am)
Ausgirl

Postby MommylovesMax » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Roger,

Welcome! I need to tell you I LOVE findadeath! Scott Michaels is hilarious & adorable, and I consider myself a Death Hag. My interest in Scott's site though, is really more about old, "classic" Hollywood. The homes, the lifestyles, the mysteries. Before I read your post, I would have sworn I had read every single word of Scott's site (every death, every link under "Shameless" and "Fun Stuff", everything!). Where is Keddie listed over on findadeath? You must tell me! :-O

And Welcome to this board. I look at my number of posts, and it looks like I never contribute anything, but let me tell ya... It's tough here. There are genuinely so many great minds here with such attention to detail, incredible detective skills, and in DMac's case (to quote Chich): "MAD COMPUTER SKILLS". You'll see; that deserves all caps. He's amazing. It's hard to stick in my two cents when there is so much great information already being disseminated and evaluated. It's nice to see that you jumped right in.

It feels like this case is *soooclose* to getting solved and closed. I hope to see that happen one day soon, as I know do the other members here.

Have you ordered the DVDs yet of the documentary? You must! Inexpensive and informative. Josh's years of hard work are so evident.

Anyway! Welcome! (From Shannon, who doesn't post nearly as much as it feels like I do! ::-| )
Shannon
Mom of three, losing brain cells hourly

These users thanked the author MommylovesMax for the post (total 3):
meankitty (Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:10 pm) • Ausgirl (Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 am) • not sure (Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 am)
MommylovesMax

Postby Chichibcc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum :)

RogerV wrote: I realize that the community changed over the years, and while several people have talked about what an idyllic place it was to live and raise children, I would definitely have locked my doors at night, and even in the daytime if I wasn't home.

Yes, that definitely surprised me too at first-the leaving doors unlocked thing-but I have come to realize that before the murders, serious crimes in Keddie and the surrounding area were pretty rare...especially crimes of this magnitude. So I can now understand how, back then, locking doors wasn't really a priority among residents. For Sue, particularly, keeping C28 locked would've been unpractical to really do, at least on a regular basis, with five kids coming and going all the time, plus having to make sure no one lost/misplaced their keys, etc.

RogerV wrote: One of the photos of the interior of Cabin 28 mentions where the telephone was located and that it had already been removed as evidence. It was found off the hook, and the wires had been cut. I'm probably not the first to notice this, but this suggests to me that someone tried to call for help and was stopped in the act.

Given how the victims were wounded, it would be hard to imagine any of them being in any sort of condition to even get to the phone, much less be able to use it and call for help. I tend to think that the phone was left that way to prevent the boys in the bedroom from calling anyone. The killers might've thought that they would eventually come out of the bedroom sometieme after they left, and I have no doubt in my mind that they knew the boys were there.
Chichibcc

Postby not sure » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:50 am

pattykad

I was surprised to see Keddie pop back up here. For those of you that are in to the story, I got this email from someone that rented the cabin after the murders. Nothing earthshaking, but a fun read.

> Hi-Yes, I have Photos, i need to dig some up and post them. I have gotten so many e-mails from that one blog. I guess it still haunts people. I did not feel there was a crawl space. There IS/WAS a crawl space under the house (which by the way has been torn down for years now) I made my ex-husband nail the door shut because it gave me the willies so bad. (The laundry room was down there and it was always cold and damp and dark, even in the summer) Originally Keddie was built as a resort with a huge compound with a restaraunt and hotel in the middle. You could fish and camp and spend the summer in the cool hills of northern Cali. When i lived there the hotel was closed but all the furniture was still in there and they still had curtains up in the windows. they also had a menu in the window from 15 years earlier. the cabins got rented out to families for a week or a month or the summer. I have talked to old timers who said it was a hoppin' place back in the day. After the murders, they closed the resort down and it became housing for the people who worked the union pacific railroad. It runs through Keddie and at one time had a roundabout there (for the trains to turn around in) and was huge part of UP and a very historical train area. At one time the California Zephyr stopped in Keddie (alas the train and the town are history-how sad) After the trains were re-routed elsewhere and a piece of history was again misplaced, the cabins became housing for people in the area. The landlord at the time was named Gary Mollath and lived across the highway. i don't know if he still owns it. there was always talk of selling it. (I don't think it was a big money making venture by then) It still was a very pretty place. My husband at the time and I moved up from Phx Az. (my mom lived in Quincy) The rent was cheap and coming from the city it was soooo pretty. My children were small and there was tons of room to run. I looked at a smaller cabin on the river but for 50 dollars more I rented a bigger one with another bedroom. (I had no idea about it's history, and since I was a city girl no-one told me a bout it until after we were all settled in) my rent at the time was 350.00 a month. I lived in that cabin for many years and really loved it. My youngest son, now 20 was born in that cabin. After we grew out of that cabin we moved to a different cabin in Keddie and stayed there for many more years and my kids and I have some great memories of that time. I would never have left there, but it was difficult to make a living in that area at that time. my husband worked for the housing authority and i worked on the ambulance in Portola. We had to drive all our critical patients to Reno! When i first moved there, no--one would come to the house, but after a few years we had birthday parties and house parties. it was a happy place for me and my family. We had to have a wood stove to heat and two different sources of cooking, because it was so rural. We would lose our electricity for weeks at a time and lived whole winters without TV and Radio. To this day I miss Keddie and that cabin a lot. I only had a few incidents in that cabin that bothered me. i would have nightmares and the downstairs was really creepy. My kids had night terrors a lot, but I wonder if it was subconcious. In the master bedroom, in the closet they did not tear down the walls, they just paneled over them and there was a hole in the paneling and you could see blood on the preceding wall. I covered it with a poster, but it still freaked me out. There was an old tree that rubbed against the roof and when the wind would blow, it would make the whole house creak. The man who removed the sleeping children from the house when the murders occurred (the bedroom where my kids slept) still lived next door-Jamie Seabolt senior. They were a very nice Mormon family and had lots of kids. i bought my first paid for my own car from his son. We even had our own post office and the lady that ran it was a massive gossip. My kids went to school with all the other kids from Keddie and learned to ride bikes and had chicken pox with everyone. It was a nice place to live, murders or not. it's very sad that people only remember the tragic things about that place and not the wonderful things about it. it was a magical time and place for me. this afternoon, i will dig out some pictures and try to get them on line. give me a little time, My team "the Phx Suns" are fixin to whip the San Antonio spurs in the first round of the playoffs today, so i have priorities!! please excuse the grammar, punctuation and misspellings ( i am very educated) just in a big hurry, tons to do today on my only day off. Please try to remember it was a very happy place, not just a place where murders occurred. i will get back to you with more-Patchouli

This was an email sent to this person on the Findadeath forum. It's from the woman who lived in Cabin 28 for a few years after the deaths. It was posted 10-11-2011 but she mentioned in a previous post that she received the email back in 2008.

We've seen other posts about this former resident and somewhere in this forum should be copies of the pictures Bonnie posted on My Life of Crime forum of Patchouli's time spent in the house. They are great pictures because they show many angles of the rooms we all talk about.

I'm posting this mainly because of the highlighted portion. She stated she could see blood on the closet wall that freaked her out so she covered it with a poster. Was this missed evidence? Was there really blood on the closet wall? I soooo wish we had contact with Patchouli to clarify...such as, how much blood? One drop? Several? Spattered? Streaked?

Anyone else heard this before?

These users thanked the author not sure for the post (total 2):
dmac (Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 pm) • Chichibcc (Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 pm)
not sure

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

I have read Patchouli's other posts she made on Bonnie's Blog of Crime-Keddie Murders Page.

However, this is the first time I've ever heard about the blood on the wall, which she had never mentioned when she posted there. Quite a surprise.

For anyone who hasn't seen Patchouli's C28 photos, they can be found here:

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/keddie-murders-pictures-from-a-former-resident/

These users thanked the author Chichibcc for the post:
not sure (Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 pm)
Chichibcc

Postby jhancock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I interviewed her for the book...still have her email...I'll send her a note and see if she can provide any more info...

These users thanked the author jhancock for the post (total 3):
Chichibcc (Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am) • not sure (Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 am) • CuriousKitty (Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 pm)
jhancock

Return to intros