Green Van?

facts surrounding the Keddie Murders, for beginners and up

Green Van?

Postby justamom » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I was reading on the cabin 28 site that a green van was seen in front of Sue's house the night of the murder and also, that a van followed Sue on an earlier time and day? I am not sure this is all accurate or true, but since we have so many people from Quincy participating in these discussions (yeah!) I was wondering if it triggered any ideas? I am thinking that since this was the age before all the SUV's, that if there was a van, it was probably one of the bigger ones, perhaps a Econoline, Dodge, or something more traditional... does anyone know if DMV records go back that far and if the database is able to sort by vehicle type and color?
Curious,
Just a mom...
justamom

Postby Night Rider » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 am

First off, the green van supposedly followed Sheila, but it was after?

And it supposedly had an apple colored stripe, not mentioned by the girls.

A couple of SUV's have been mentioned at times, a green and white K5, and a primered Suburban. And I did bring up the question of nomenclature. But it was my opinion that if the reportee was an adult, it was likely that the person would have known the difference.

As for DMV records, nice thought, but only back then. VR records fall out of the system after seven years. Plus we dont have enough to go on, something specific is necessary.

The bit about the K5 always perplexed me, that should have been a slam dunk, why wasn't it? The van sightings are a lot more iffy, but someone with my knowledge of vehicles could have been able to prepare a comprehensive search. But there are pitfalls in that, like localizing the search, or getting even one critera wrong, could end up with a pile of useless data.

As to color matching, with cooperation from the manufacturer, it can and has been done. The question still is, was it ever tried?
Night Rider

Postby mrs.mcglovin11 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:26 pm

The tan small car was mentioned alot in the timeline. A Ford Pinto or Vega or Datsun. It was seen at 2 parties and in Keddie the night of the murders. Also, the black sedan was mentioned being at the two same parties and in Keddie that night. But apparently it had a flat on the highway near Keddie. Could it have been towed? Is there any more information about who drove these 2 vehicles?
mrs.mcglovin11

Postby mrs.mcglovin11 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Since my last post I found out that Marty drove a small, tan, compact car like a Datsun or a Pinto. That would explain why the car was seen in Keddie that night, but the timeline and the whereabouts of the vehicle would not back up Martys alibi of where he was all evening. I still dont know who may have driven the black sedan, but could the tan car been the one that was the "getaway" vehicle?
mrs.mcglovin11

Postby Night Rider » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Pardon me for being a little dogmatic, but isn't it common to break down stories in the order received? We have been working on Craig's story, and Marilyn's also, since 2005?

Craig's story has been very consistent since that time. he says he was at a party at the dorms, although he can not verify that.

Marty supposedly was working that night, not that incredible, considering that there were many diners downstairs, and a group of 30 or so USFS people upstairs. Just how many cooks did Jan employ?? And supposedly Dee Lake was there helping him.

Relying on statements from people like Karl Spang and Donna Williams might just leave us in the quagmire we seem to be in. Not to leave out Craig and Marilyn.

Most of you seem to be forgetting the statements made by "EJ" on Josh's old red board, I don't.. Then there is another person not to forget, maybe he wasn't a "third wheel."
Night Rider

Postby not sure » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 am

That's the first time I've ever hear Marty had a tan car.

Marilyn talked about her little red car several times but I don't recall her ever mentioning a tan one. In fact, she was emphatic that Marty didn't have a car. Plus she said her car wasn't running at the time which is why she had to get a ride from Mrs Meeks.

I would be interested to know what type and color car Dee drove. Marty showed up with two guys in a car at the Meeks house Sunday presumably on his way to Reno to drop Bo back at the hospital. Mrs Meeks was fairly certain it was Dee with them in his car.

I would also be interested to find out if Craig ever gave Marty rides. He gave others rides around town, picked up hitchhikers, etc. Marty hitched a lot according to Marilyn. Was Marty ever in Craig's car?
not sure

Postby meankitty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Also< I have heard of a van following Sheila, and I'd like to know more about it, like what state was it from/what color were the plates.
meankitty

Postby tinkerbell » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 pm

I did not look at the plates, unfortunately, I do not remember the color either...i think it was a darker one...I will have to ask LaRonda to see if she remembers..
tinkerbell

Postby meankitty » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:35 am

Sheila, I was wondering what you do remember about the van. Was it a darker green? Or was the plates a darker color? Do you remember how many people were in the van? (sorry to be asking so many questions)
meankitty

Postby tinkerbell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm

No I said that I do not remember what color it was. For one we were really scared and ran into a store...sorry..
tinkerbell

Re: People Questioned

Postby kmik » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Also in going over the PON list and Timelines I always see where Paula (and Pearl) Seabolt saw a green van in front or around Sue's.

PON LIST:
SEABOLT, PAULA
Saw Sue with Josephson Sat., saw green van front Sharp's @ 2100, sister (Pearl) saw van too, saw green van front Sharp's 4/11/81
<STOY>/<CRIM

TIMELINE B:
36. Tina asked James Seabolt, Sr, what time it was and then she went home, stated Seabolt. Approximate time: 9:30.

FROM CHRONOLIGICAL TIMELINE:
9:00p.m.
Tina went home from the Seabolt's at the conclusion of the Barbara Mandrell Show on TV.(Sheila Sharp/Bradley)

9:00p.m.
Pearl and Paula S. sees a green van parked around/in front of the Sharp house about 9:00 pm, after dark, but she did not see anyone around it.
(Paula Seabolt/Stoy)

I just wonder how they saw a van - in front of the Sharp's house - at 9:00 - at night - good enough to say it was green. I also wonder what they were doing out at 9:00p.m. Did they walk Tina home? Were they outside playing? I know their house sat closer to the road than the Sharp's but to get a good look they would have had to of been closer to the road - the Sharp's yard was full of trees and at night I would think it would be a little hard to see across the yard and through the trees from their house. I'm not saying they were not telling the truth - Jan Albin and Barbara Hogoboam also mentioned a green blazer - and I feel the Seabolts were probably the most stable family in Keddie - but how did the girls have opportunity to see the van at 9:00p.m.?
kmik

Postby dmac » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Alyssa saw the van, too, according to PoN. Whatever the witnesses said, we have anything but a reason to believe LE recorded it properly. We don't have a proper time from LE as to when Tina came home, for instance. Were the Seabolt girls together? when they saw the van? Was Tina with them, did she see it? Is it the same green van Mr Seabolt saw parked down by the Krois cabin? The same van seen by Dembosz? The same (black or dark) van James Jones saw? Same van Karl Spang saw? Was it Karl Spang's van?
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:19 pm

...as an aside, before anyone asks...

IF the green van is related to the murders, and IF the occupant(s) visited 28, we're no closer to knowing what happened until someone admits the truth. For instance, if the occupant(s) were involved and inside 28 as early as 9 pm, it's only further proof the young boys will NOT discuss anything they witnessed with LE- or publicly. Even if nothing happened at 9 pm, even if the murders didn't start til 1:15, the boys would still know the occupants of the van are involved, so it would naturally be just part of their silence. And they haven't spoken publicly.

Yet.
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Return to keddie facts