dmac's rock packs

dmac's rock packs

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:47 am

Rod Argent's an old chum, known him since the late 70s. In our first interview, I of course asked about his session work. Hell, we met at Olympic Studios (B!) where he was doing a session with Andrew Lloyd Weber. World Cup theme? 1982, April.

My being a Who/Rabbit reprobate, I had to ask about the WHO ARE YOU sessions. Rab was set to play on the album but broke his wrist in a night out with Keith Moon on the eve of the sessions. Rod was hired as his replacement. Damned worthy, might I add. Both are genius, only one evil.

Rod said there were strict start times for the sessions at Shepperton, yet the only ones who adhered were studio guys, Glyn Johns, Astley, himself, and Keith. Roger, Pete, and Entwistle were consistently hours late.

Keith was "sober as a judge" until left waiting for the others, and would invariably get pissed drunk.

I didn't laugh when Rod and Rab told their truths, and I'm certainly not laughing now. Substance abuse kills far more than the addict. If you need help, find the balls and grace to seek it. Spare those that love you the shared tortured death at the terminus of your chosen path.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: dmac's rock packs

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 am

When I first interviewed Mac McLagan about his career, it was to be the ten minutes he allotted.
That ten minutes became a side-career for me. He appointed me as the one to run a then non-existant site about Faces.

I've run the-faces ... dot... com since 99 due to his direction, and helped navigate a forgettable "Best of Faces at the Beeb" VHS Mac proposed into the wonderful "PASSING SHOW: The Life and Music of Ronnie Lane" documentary. Mac was originally flaming pissed I'd changed the direction. Never heard him so off-kilter: "You don't know what you fuckers are up against! The licensing alone!..."

He was in tears when we shared the top row of The Alamo Drafthouse the night of the US premiere. A documentary about Ronnie Lane was a clear hit in Austin that night. When we left, I was informed PASSING SHOW was responsible for the clusterfuck of people.

Bless you, Ronnie Lane, I was so immediately chuffed other Yanks know and respect you. I thought I was the lone wolf, yet the lobby and parking lot only hinted to the wraparound audience you drew.

Bac to Mac: During the allotted ten minutes Mac originally provided, which became four hours, I peppered Mac's memories with facts he'd forgotten. ME: "Well, that's when Steve <Marriott> died..." MAC: "Oh, Christ, I would have forgotten that..."

It wasn't intentional, other than he didn't want to remember it.

OK, point of this narrative is short and sweet. We spoke of the Wick, so we spoke of the jams in Ronnie's basement and the first solo Wood lp.

We also spoke of the re-onion, a smelly layer of great shit which came from the Canadian drug bust.
I just learned from Wiki that the New Barbarians was a touring operation to promote Wood's latest non-existent album. FUCK WIKI.

HENCE THIS POST AS MY REBUTTAL TO LIES:

It was a couple of freebie charity shows to stop a Stone from not being allowed in Canada. Touring income for the Rolling Stones, simple as that. A pay-off afforded to a celebrity. BRIBERY. PERIOD.

They kept the band together and shortly toured the US to make up for the Toronto shows, fucking simple as that, Trudeau. And, yeah, they all fucked your slut wife, bitch.

I asked Mac about the formation of "The New Barbarians", and he said it was simple. They (Keef, Mac, Ian) wanted Stanley Clarke and were surprised when he accepted.

Ziggy was the dream drummer for Mac and Woody, and he also took the bait.
OK, point of this narrative is short and sweet.

Drum roll:

I asked Mac how he pronounces Nocentelli. His version is close to mine, yet I wanna know from Leo's own lips how he pronounces his name.

No-SIN-telly? Where is the accent/emphasis?

That's when I knew Mac fucking adored Meters and MGs.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:00 am

What made my balls drop is the Meters. I bought Cabbage Alley for a buck in 80 and I knew shit. I wanted to hear a lyric, not at all aware they were the best instrumental band on the planet, so "doing the dirt" kicked my head in.

I bought 20 albums that day. Cabbage Alley was my wife without hearing her whine about the baby.

Too busy Doin the Dirt.

Then I found and bought the Sue albums.

My first exposure to loving Meters. George Porter Jr told me Art hated it, refused to add it to any set. Art, you were way goddamned wrong.

reach me at

These users thanked the author dmac for the post:
Lex (Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 am)
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:05 am

Little story. When I interviewed Chas Chandler, manager and producer of Jimi Hendrix, I asked what he thought destroyed Jimi.

"My partner, Jefferey"

Mike Jeffery.

I concur.

Ed Mayberry:
Jimi was destroyed by aspirating on his own vomit from a barbiturate overdose. Michael Jeffery supposedly gave a deathbed confession that he plied Jimi with drugs and wine to collect on his life insurance. His U. S. manager Bob Levine has been trying to correct this lie for years.

Dave McNarie
"He's worth more dead to me than alive- the insurance policy..." Did it cover "death by misadventure"?

Jimi was apparently alive, but the ambulance assfucks strapped him upright and that's when he aspirated. When the groupie called Eric Burdon, he was still alive. "Hang up the fucking phone and call for an ambulance!"

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:07 am

This is the last of Hendrix I consider a session he wanted to be involved with, published. It is with Love, so listen to how it came out on Blue Thumb Records. Arthur Lee and Hendrix were tight. This is the last damned bit I know Jimi approved of.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:11 am

When I lived in LA, one of my girlfriends was the step of Don Preston from the Mothers. She was a lighting and mood magician, had a one-man show going with the incredible John Diehl. John Densmore from the Doors played accompaniment.

The Waiter. 1992, LA.

Don notably kicked ass doing the ethereal soundtrack behind Apocalypse Now with my oldest of pals, Rabbit Bundrick.

Does nobody understand the joke within that title?

Wraparound? The End by the Doors is utilized to perfection.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:16 am

A huge fan of jazz, I even dated a jazz singer when I worked in HWood. La La Landed DOA. Our sole connection: a Miles Davis track played and I named everyone on that cut.

I saw Jazz on a Summer's Day and immediately fell for Anita O'Day, fucked out of her nightgown and stumbling up the stairs, yet plowing the elite whiter shade of played plaid into their upscale wood-and-canvas seaside chair-traps with a landmark set.

Tart-n-smart once she muffed her way to stage left, she made no musical mistakes.

Her nailing this performance makes me all the more sad that she was in ill mental and physical health. Genius reined.

Anita: Won
Audience: Zeroes

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 am

As a lifelong athiest, I attest to Sister Rosetta Tharpe unhumbly kicking some holy mass ass. She's sporting a Gibson SG Custom and kickin' out the jams, mother- watch your mouth- not talkin' bout Shaft.

Seriously, she's ten times the guitarist you could handle if you slept with Neil Schon'zzz guitar as a child.

She tears into a solo worthy of Jimmy Page. Well, Hubert Sumlin. Jimmy and Jeff Beck were neighbors and friends and collected this stuff and Hubert Sumlin was their hero.

Mine, too.

I got to interview Hubert, those other guys only did landmark albums with him.

Gospel had many babies, including this Master of Soul, Blues, and rock. Rosetta kicked your grandmom's ass. Fuck Eddie Van Anal.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:13 am

Tony Hendra was a friend for twenty odd. He was far more than the grieving manager of Spinal Tap, He was hand-picked to be the first Senior Editor of National Lampoon.

His fierce vocal on this tune, a word-for-word rant from a Lennon interview with a Rollo Stone jock, proves Tony had more chops than most.

I think that's Chevy Chase on piano. Lampoon at the time was comprised of future SNL and SCTV. Joe Flaherty did some of his best work on these radio hours. Genius unstrained.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Postby dmac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:38 am

Tony just barely died of ALS/Lou Gehrig's Syndrome.

So a toast to life.

Years ago I was listening to NPR and wanted badly to see a live gig. NPR put on a small gig by Neko Case and I was immediately gutted, floored, transfixed. I was in love with her voice.

That very night, she had a gig in nearby Park City, so I called my best friend and made him get a babysitter for Djivan. Jeff knows when I'm onto something good, so he, Dipika, and I saw Neko live that night.

He knows I damned well know when I'm right.

This should give a lowball signal of how incredible Neko is.

reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to other sites & off-topic threads